NoS isn't hard to follow... but weight loss?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

shelly_k

NoS isn't hard to follow... but weight loss?

Post by shelly_k » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:37 pm

So I'm nearing the end of week 3. So far, I have had success on every N day. My S days are another story and definitely a bit wild. Can you say, perma-snack?? :?

But, I'm sticking to it. I don't seem to have problems following a simple 3 plates a day, no snacks and no sweets. But I still need to lose weight and so far I just seem to gain and lose 2 lbs. I'm weighing each day but only recording a weight once a week. I'm working out with weights twice per week.

My BMI is above healthy levels, but not by much. I have only 8 lbs to lose to have a healthy BMI. So does this diet not work for those that don't have a ton of weight to lose? Maybe if my S days were reigned in a bit, it would help.

Any experience from those that had 15-20 lbs to lose and were near their healthy weight range?

Thanks!!
Shelly

Age 40
Started Dec 6, 2014
Start Weight: 173.8
Start BMI: 26.3
Goal Weight: 155
Vanilla NoS

Start: 173.8
Week 1: 172.8
Week 2: 172.8
Week 3: 170.6

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:48 pm

This is not a fast program at all. The closer you get to your goal weight, the longer it takes.

Eventually, your S days should calm down and you might find yourself naturally reducing the amount you eat. There is no telling what will happen in 1-2 years.

This past summer I, a 50 year old woman, unexpectedly and without trying lost 5 lbs. I think it's in part because I took up running and in part because I just eat less both on NoS and S days.

I was at the high end of my healthy weight before in terms of BMI. Now I'm smack dab in the middle. My waist size went down by a bit and my cholesterol numbers are literally off the screening charts (good is really high, bad is really low).

Here's the kicker. It's taken me six years to get to this point. SIX. YEARS.

I know that seems impossibly long but it's not. When I look back, it feels like a blink.

Think of it this way: in six years you will be six years older. What else will you be?

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:41 pm

Hi Shelly,

I think weight loss is ultimately about getting the number of calories consumed to be lower than the number used by your body so that your body is forced to use fat stores for energy.
With that in mind, every diet out there is geared to that end, no-s included. What I like about No-s is that it focuses on life long habits that are, relatively, easy to maintain but you (the dieter) still hae to get those calories down. My stats are not too dissimilar to yours. I started at 168 last October of 2013; lost 18 through calorie counting but decided I couldn't count calories for the rest of my life and went looking for an alternative. I found no-s in March of 2014. haven't lost any more but I've been struggling to get my evening snack habit under control. Since my evening snack habit walks hand in hand with my evening "glass of wine habit" I decided I first have to address the wine issue (which is very hard because it is a special time in the day that my husband and I relax and commune with the couch. :D :D )
Wow, this is a long post but hang with me. I'm coming to the inspiring part. In the last 3 weeks I've had a string of success with my glass ceiling which led, -as I thought it would- to a dramatic decrease in my evening snacks. The scale is nudging down again. 2 pounds in 3 weeks. So, my point: Yes I think no-s will work for me and I'll lose the last 10 pounds but it was important to acknowledge truthfully and without self-shaming exactly where my weakness lay then to address it firmly and consistently and without giving up even when it seemed pointless and hard.

I totally think that habit building is key. One good habit leads to another.

Good luck with your journey.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:55 pm

I just noticed that in your post you indicate that you did loose weight. You have a consistent downward trend for 3 weeks!! That is wonderful. Don't discount baby-steps. They still get the baby across the room. :wink:

Dale

Post by Dale » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:00 pm

It does look to me like a downward trend of about 1lb a week. You'll get a better idea when you have more data! Because it's slow weight loss, I find it more useful to look at average losses over months, and at trends, rather than weekly progress (easy to do if you're weighing daily).

I found the weight came off easily with No S when I started and was bigger (I had more to lose than you). Obviously as I got smaller I had to consciously reduce what I was eating (and I've done that in various ways which I won't go into, because they're not part of the plan ), because I would have found it easy to stick to the principles of No S whilst still eating around maintenance level.

But it seems to be working well for you now, so no need to change anything if it's suiting you! :D

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:20 am

I started in the middle of my healthy BMI range, and ended near the bottom (I have the smallest frame size for my height). It took a while (I think about 4 - 6 months). My full stats are in my posts on the testimonials page.

On weighing - I fluctuate quite a lot (several pounds a week). The slow downward drift of No S, which was sometimes less than 0.5 pounds a week, was completely lost in the noise. I used the trend calculation from Hacker's Diet to track, rather than actual weight readings.

If you are finding No S easy, and your eating is moderate, then my first thought is just to stick with it for a bit longer. If that is trying your patience too much, my next thought is to look to other areas. Are you moderate about alcohol? Are you getting moderate exercise? Weights twice a week is great, but what about something gentle but more frequent (a daily walk?).

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:54 pm

It sound like you are looking for something that will get you to a certain weight rather predictably in a linear fashion and then stay there. I will be brave and say that NOTHING has been shown to do this for the vast majority of people, not even No S or its origins, though it might exist for any one person. It's just that the odds of finding it are rather low.

As you can see, there are people who've gotten to lower weights from different beginnings.

How fast this happens can depend on lost of factors hard to figure out. But given that most peole who lose weith in the ways that have been traditionally recommended are actually heavier years later, if you do it in a way that doesn't bludgeon your appetite, time is on your side. You are learning a way to live with less food, and that is not predictable! That means, if you're thinking , I can't wait that long!, consider how many years you've been at this, and where it's gotten you to want to go directly to goal and stay there.

More directly, what is moderate for YOU? How much and what kind of dense food, combined with delightful lights ones, on your three plates (eventually MOST days will be like N days) a day is enough to keep your feeling pleasured, satisfied and healthy? You can't know this up front. And you can only nudge yourself there. Sometimes it will take a little more effort, sometimes less, but when you're ready, the extras will become unnecessary.

"Ready" is part of the mystery. Try to truly enjoy every bite while you get there! And fill yourself up with life in between meals. I'm convinced that greatly increases your chances.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:50 am

I was looking for an old thread and ran across this one. I didn't read the whole thing, but am posting it here anyway.
http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10209
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)