Can We Please Go Back to No-S?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

Can We Please Go Back to No-S?

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:51 pm

Hi. I've been on this board off and on for years and struggle like crazy with my weight.

I had a Life Eating Project that packed on the pounds as the stress increased and I chucked anything that didn't immediately keep me from murdering someone. (Major operating system upgrade for a large hospital. You in the tech field may now groan at the project).

I do best on... rather large amounts of exercise. Not sure why, but it's a thing. If I am not getting in an hour a day or so, my weight and energy levels don't do well. Yes, even though I am heavy, I need the movement.

So, to get rid of the pounds added by the project, I fell from the True Faith and went to *shudder* calorie counting. I won't say I wasn't successful. Totally was. Lost the weight I'd gained on the project in a few months.

I also turned my fondness for swimming laps for exercise into a long-term obsession as I've decided to get into Marathon swimming as a sport.

But as we were coming home from the gym today, my husband sighed as we turned into our driveway and said, "Noel, love, would you mind going back to No-S and dropping the calorie counting?"

Now, he rarely gives much input about my eating habits so I was prepared to listen. "What makes you say that, honey?"

"Counting calories is interfering with your swimming and other things like writing and knitting that I know are important to you. You spend more time on calorie counting than writing and you're even obsessing about swims in terms of calorie burn rather than technique. Is your hobby calorie counting, or is it distance swimming? I want to be supportive of your goals, but what are your real goals?"

GULP.

Okay, I get the point. I'm back.

(And yes, this is why I stay married to the man)
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

wxwoman

Post by wxwoman » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:03 am

Great post!

I'm on about my 5th attempt at No S. I keep coming back because I don't want to weigh, measure, or count anything. It takes up way too much time and mental energy that could be better spent elsewhere, as your husband points out.

I also get a lot of exercise, 8 hours a week or so on average.

This time I've made it 7 weeks now, and feel so much better mentally and physically.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:23 am

Hi Noel!

I remember you from back in the day. I'm glad you're back!

PS...your husband is a keeper...
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:49 am

Hello again, Noel.

I don't know what it is about IT but it's a field where the prevailing norm is that the work is of the same importance as transplanting hearts. Maybe more so. I hope you are through the worst of that project.

It just so happened that I went swimming for the first time in more than 15 years this past weekend. I loved swimming as a child because it was one of the few sports where I did not feel awkward or slow. I enjoyed it thoroughly and will add it into my weekly workout circuit. I congratulate and admire you for your long distance swims. That is a serious workout.

Welcome back to sanity. You are an interesting, capable, intelligent woman and the world really is a better place when you and I and all of us are focusing our considerable assets on endeavors that create or build or enrich.

I do enjoy your blog. Thanks for sharing it!
Last edited by Blithe Morning on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:11 pm

Blithe Morning wrote:I do enjoy your blog. Thanks for sharing it!
Glad you enjoy it. I have another one that's strictly swimming. Slow as Christmas.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:52 am

Hi, Noel!

Sorry you got waylaid, but honestly, I've seen that No S IS the best foundation for stressful times. It decreases stress for me to have a system that allows so much! If I'm really feeling raw, I can choose to have some heavier meals. And I'm never sorry I waited for that next meal.

Now that you did do the calorie thing, it's perfectly acceptable to remember back to some meals that you KNOW down deep are moderate enough from both ends- not too heavy, not too light- to become the approximate default. In slim cultures, people have some rather routine ratios of foods at any particular meal, a mixture of light and dense offerings and approximate portions. You can take a few months to play with it again.

I'm not saying it's always easy because it demands a different kind of honesty. But it is definitely worth it. And knowing you, doable.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:18 pm

Noel, I too have been on and off for years, but alas, No S makes the most sense and it works, too. My mother said to me yesterday, "I didn't realize you are still following the No S Diet."... and I was like, I aspire to follow it as much as I can, the only time I break it is when I come to your house for tea time.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:57 pm

Not to bogart this, but if tea time with your mother is the only time you deviate from Vanilla, you're doing pretty darn well!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:59 pm

oolala, you're quite right.
------

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Thu May 07, 2015 3:29 pm

I too am back after a looong time away. I remember you and your helpful posts waaay back in 2009.

Your Hubby is very wise...
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat May 30, 2015 10:40 am

Hi Noel! Nice to see you here. I was dropping by because a friend mentioned doing No-S and I wanted to say "hi"...glad the time aligned with some of the other "old guard" being around.

Hope the stress in your life eases soon.

Rea

Post by Rea » Sun May 31, 2015 12:56 am

Count me is as another returnee. I do well for a week or so, maybe two, and then I think "I'm doing so well, I can relax a bit!" Why on earth I tell myself THAT...it's completely illogical. At any rate, back on the wagon :) Going to build some healthy habits again and stop using stress as an excuse.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again.

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:23 am

Ha Rea, I do a month before I usually relax. But I don't "stop" doing NoS, I just have red days.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:50 pm

Rea, it's the brain pattern of the habit trying to assert itself. Yes, it can deliver thoughts! All kinds of 'em, all with the same intent, and sounding rather logical at the time. The less drama accepting, then ignoring them, the better.

I"m preaching to myself right now.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi Noel, just dropping by to add a "welcome back" from another member of the "old guard" -- I think I can count myself as a member of that group. I'm still NoS-ing, and boldly verbing nouns and inserting hyphens where I'm not sure they're required. :)

Rea

Post by Rea » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:58 pm

eschano wrote:Ha Rea, I do a month before I usually relax. But I don't "stop" doing NoS, I just have red days.
That's a good way of putting it. I usually throw in the towel completely though but hey I'm one week green again so go me!
Rea, it's the brain pattern of the habit trying to assert itself. Yes, it can deliver thoughts! All kinds of 'em, all with the same intent, and sounding rather logical at the time. The less drama accepting, then ignoring them, the better.
yes, that's true. Old habits die hard!
If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again.

losingforgood

Can We Please Go Back To No-S?

Post by losingforgood » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:53 pm

I LOVE this! I'm back for the second time, and I can say, I know this is it for me, no matter what my weight does. I've tried the calorie counting apps, and it drove me crazy! I learned about Net calories, and how you're supposed to eat back the calories burned. Wait...WHAT? I found myself constantly trying to find food, because I've been weight training for the past 3 years, and every personal trainer and highly committed weight trainer I've talked, kept telling me I had to eat every 2-3 hours. I was NOT losing weight that way. I was GAINING! Granted, you will put on weight when weight training, but your over all weight should be dropping if you're losing fat. My close were getting TIGHTER, instead of getting loser! I was constantly scanning food using my phone app, or doing a google search on the nutrition labels of a food if the app didn't already have it. How the hell is anyone supposed to have time for anything else if they're constantly tracking or searching for the food they eat? It was insane! So I gave that up and just kind ate whatever, whenever I wanted food. And I didn't eat when I didn't want to. That didn't work either. I'm so glad I came back. It's been 3 1/2 weeks and I've lost 7 lbs so far. The first 6 were lost in the first 2 weeks. Most importanly, my clothes are starting to loosen up on me again. Find a way to lose the weight and keep it off and to become more active, are supposed to help us HAVE a life. Instead, my life was revolving around what I should eat or not eat, how much and when. There is no life outside of obsession with food. The concepts of No S helped me begin to put food in its proper place in my life so that I can focus on the REST of my life.
I Corinthians 10:13-14; "No temptation has ceased you except what is common to man..."

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:15 pm

Great post! I'm another one who keeps coming and going, but I think I'm ready to commit, this time. I've flirted with calorie counting for awhile, and quite frankly, I'm sick of it. Plus, it's not working for me, because I don't find calorie counting rewarding or motivating. I'm ready to just commit to a set number of meals, and no snacking, and call it good. :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:13 pm

I believe we are more confused because of the media bodies we think we should have. They get in the way! Can you imagine living 200 years ago and fretting about this? Before ubiquitous mirrors and photo images? Gads! Enjoy your food when it's time to eat, move in different ways, and get on with it. (I'm still working on the move in different ways.)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Good to see you back! I'm back too!!
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:11 am

Another returnee here (I'm on Day Three). I lost weight with No-S in 2010-2011, had two short term returns (not sure what went wrong for those), then slowly gained weight as I convinced myself that someday I was going to eat better.

I finally have had enough and am returning to the plan that worked. While I dream of eating better, today I will eat LESS. (Well, not today. I take an S Day on Fridays.) :lol: