Habit or Hobby

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

Habit or Hobby

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:18 pm

Had an interesting thought as I am procrastinating on my swim training. The whole point of what Reinhard recommends as an uberconcept of everyday systems is that you're doing something unobtrusive and habit-driven that has a large cumulative effect. Shovelglove for 14 minutes every N-day is a good example, as is No-S with its focus on simplicity and clarity. None of these systems takes much time out of your day.

I clean house like that, doing things in small chunks -- putting things away right away, using a couple of minutes here or there to do some cleaning or toss some things I no longer need. The cumulative effect is amazing, and I think it does fall into the daily unobtrusive habit mindset of everyday systems pretty well.

I don't exercise like that. My minimum swim is well over half an hour, and takes at least an hour what with getting to the pool, showering and drying my hair afterwards. A two to three hours time commitment is not too unusual with my swims.

This isn't habit, my friends. I have to go to lengths and expense to do it, and it's a large mental as well as physical focus. This is a hobby, not a habit.

I mean, obviously I think it's just fine to have hobbies that have payoffs (I knit and sew garments, too!) but I think it's important to be clear on the topic. It helps you make intelligent choices about whether or not that hobby is a good use of your limited time.

I also think that's why No-S is a habit and calorie counting (especially when you get to the level of weighing every gram of food you eat) is a hobby.

What do other people think?
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:58 pm

I think you're on to something there.

Running and exercise aren't my default behaviors. I have to plan them, even after years and years of doing them.

But it is habit to think about fitting in my workout every day. There is no longer a question of whether or not I will, unless I've already exercised 4 or 5 days when I allow myself a day off or I'm sick.

wxwoman

Post by wxwoman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:19 pm

I don't think that we go from something being habit to hobby just because it is more time-consuming than unobtrusive. To my mind, a habit is something that we do with regularity because it has become part of our routine, no matter how much time it takes.

I do my housework like you, and also exercise like you...in much larger time installments. But I still think of it as habit. I make it part of my day without question...I just get my butt out the door and to the gym.

As far as No-S, it is the unobtrusiveness that makes the habit easier to form.

Just thinking as I write, but there's my two cents.
Last edited by wxwoman on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:07 pm

I think Brightangel might agree that calorie counting (and all it takes to adhere to limits) is a hobby, since her site is called Diet Hobby.

I got to the point at which I thought of it as a part-time job, not a hobby. Just unpaid.

I'm a bit of a hypocrite in that I've spent just about as much time on this site and one other one to merit as a part-time job, similar to the focus I used to spend on dieting, but it's been a lot more fun. I also think it's just so interesting to examine how "non-dieting" actually has more examples of success in the wide world. I've spent most of my time finding that data and sharing it. It certainly qualifies as a hobby, though it's also a habit. I admit that it's one of my ways of thwarting stress and may be an obsession.

I admit that part of my problems with eating has been trying to find life outside of these concerns, but I can't lay the blame for that on No S. I certainly think it allows for much more attention to life in between meals than traditional dieting.

This is wandering, but I tend to agree with NF, though I see wxwoman's point, too. I've never been able so far to make exercise or housework, except for the bare minimum, a habit. And I doubt I could ever see housework as a hobby! Though I do enjoy the results when my maid comes.

Wow, this is showing to me a related idea: that if I won a small sum in the lottery, it would probably be satisfying for me to make paying a weekly maid my new hobby!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:02 pm

oolala53 wrote:I think Brightangel might agree that calorie counting (and all it takes to adhere to limits) is a hobby, since her site is called Diet Hobby.

I got to the point at which I thought of it as a part-time job, not a hobby. Just unpaid.

I'm a bit of a hypocrite in that I've spent just about as much time on this site and one other one to merit as a part-time job, similar to the focus I used to spend on dieting, but it's been a lot more fun. I also think it's just so interesting to examine how "non-dieting" actually has more examples of success in the wide world. I've spent most of my time finding that data and sharing it. It certainly qualifies as a hobby, though it's also a habit. I admit that it's one of my ways of thwarting stress and may be an obsession.
:D I DO choose to treat "Dieting" as a personal Hobby.
For ME, the "Hobby" is what LEADS to - and facilitates - the "Habits".

My website, DietHobby, details how I treat the issue of "dieting" -- which includes planned eating schedules - like No S,
as well as issues of calorie counting, food tracking, and a great many different "diets/ways-of-eating/lifestyles"
even those that are allegedly "non-diets", like Intuitive Eating - the eating-to-Hunger Diet - etc. etc.

Fortunately, I have a great deal of free time to spend on my many different Hobbies -
and dealing with issues of "Dieting" is one of them.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com