Pregnancy #2 and NoS framework

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

emj383

Pregnancy #2 and NoS framework

Post by emj383 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:00 pm

​​Hi everyone! I haven’t posted in a good while. I recently started my second trimester with my second pregnancy. Our son will be two in May, so the kids will be two years and a few months apart. My husband and I are really excited! As far as food goes, up until recently it was really just about surviving. With working full time and chasing after my active toddler, it has been rough but I am getting through the days. My tendency is to have a horrible first trimester (I know I’m not alone here) and while it does get better I don’t particularly love how I feel pregnant, even when the symptoms ease up. I know some women love being pregnant, I'm just not one of them - of course I'm grateful that the baby has been doing well and we are both overall healthy. At least it’s for a good cause and it’s not long term, although it sure feels long!

For the first trimester, I survived essentially on simple carbs, Gatorade and soda. Ugh, as someone who does enjoy more healthful foods, it was depressing that these were the things I could get down and keep down. Occasionally I could get some fruit down the hatch but pretty much no protein or vegetables. I learned from my first pregnancy to listen to my body because if I tried to force down what most would consider healthy foods, it would backfire and my nausea would be even worse and I would often vomit. Despite not eating much healthy stuff, I did end up losing a few pounds in the first phase (not intended), simply due to having a very low appetite and eating was honestly a chore. I ate because if I didn’t I’d feel worse, but food in general hasn’t been very enjoyable. My taste buds continue to be off, which I’ve learned to accept from having experienced this, but I can eat a bit better (some protein, etc.) as of late. So the NoS framework has come back to mind now that I'm not in straight survival mode, for health reasons and obviously not for weight loss/control. I do have to eat more frequently than say 5 or 6 hours, but I try to keep NoS in mind as I do want to minimize permasnacking and sweets. I am sort of combining it with intuitive eating, since I have gotten good at listening to my body. When pregnant, I find that at least for me, my body is quite choosy (it’s an annoyance but it is what it is…typically I am not picky at all). I do still have nausea at this point, it’s just not as constant.

I am very much looking forward to after the baby comes, for many reasons of course, but included in that is I look forward to having a “normal†appetite again! With my son, as soon as he was born my appetite was back to normal and I could eat in a more NoS friendly way (I prefer “mealing†and having heartier foods spaced out, but while pregnant it doesn’t always work so well), which helped me feel so much better and certainly helped with my energy since I did breastfeed. At least for me, newborn exhaustion is way more manageable than pregnancy exhaustion. The hormones are no joke! :wink:
Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:19 pm

Hey congrats! I'm also pregnant with #2. I managed mostly No S style eating in the 2nd tri (like you, had a sick 1st tri and didn't follow anything except "feeling better"). One thing I'm finding now as I enter the 3rd tri is that 3 larger meals doesn't suit me, so I'm doing one or two smaller meals in the day and keeping dinner especially a bit smaller (to avoid heartburn).

Congratulations again! Exciting times :)

emj383

Post by emj383 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:26 pm

That's awesome! Thank you so much. Congrats to you, too!

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:40 am

Belated congratulations :) How are you now?

I also had an awful first trimester and pretty much lived on fruit juice, toast and crackers. I've heard that protein aversion is very normal in early pregnancy, something to do with how the body can't handle the processing of protein for a while (I think that's what I heard, I don't remember the specifics).

I found that in my second trimester I was able to follow No S, but by the third I needed occasional snacks and smaller meals.

I had an aversion to sweet things all through pregnancy but just after I gave birth I suddenly craved sweets and have generally preferred sweet foods while breastfeeding (my baby is 2 months) but at the same time have less of an appetite. I think you're right that you just have to listen to your body. I figure there is a reason my body suddenly wants sweet foods, I'm getting my sweetness fix from fruit and honey. Right now my challenge is not snacking and appetite and meal scheduling being erratic :)

emj383

Post by emj383 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:19 pm

Thanks! Congrats on your new baby! I’m doing better as of about week 20/21 – I’m currently in week 22. I still have random days where I felt like I was hit by a truck and basically just try to sleep it off as best as I can, which is not easy between full time work and then caring for my toddler but it could be worse! The nausea is mostly gone thankfully.

Yes, agreed that the protein aversion in the beginning is pretty common. I’m able to eat more “balanced†now but sometimes I don’t do that and I just don’t get hung up on it. I am still just listening to my body since I don’t have the time, energy, nor the inclination to beat myself up over eating “optimally.†I have always taken NoS as sort of framework and not something to get crazy over, but everyone does what works for them. Last night, I felt like I needed an IV of orange juice hooked up to me haha. I drink it out of a shot glass and found myself going back for more multiple times. I just let it go and move on when these strange food desires happen – no point in adding needless stress. I’m much more relaxed this pregnancy than my first, probably since I have another little person who relies on me and I can’t fuss over myself so much!

When I was nursing my newborn I honestly didn’t worry about NoS at all. I was on maternity leave for 8 weeks which flew by and at that stage since you are producing so much milk, I did legitimately feel very hungry and just made sure to eat things that would sustain me. I remember times I felt ravenous and other moms I knew said that is quite normal especially if the baby is in a growth spurt. I found the appetite leveled off after a few months. Fortunately once my son was born all my food aversions were gone and I was back to eating the good stuff I love and I wasn’t picky like I can be while pregnant. I hope that happens this time, too! I find that while pregnant, sweets taste good while I’m eating them but have a weird aftertaste, so I tend not to eat a lot of sweets but if I want some ice cream, I have a bit and just know I may not feel fantastic afterwards. It’s a balance!