Diets Don't Work Interesting Article

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

HappyHiker

Diets Don't Work Interesting Article

Post by HappyHiker » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:29 am

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... thier.html
... 97 percent of dieters regain everything they lost and then some within three years. Obesity research fails to reflect this truth because it rarely follows people for more than 18 months. This makes most weight-loss studies disingenuous at best and downright deceptive at worst.
I know that No S is technically a diet, but I don't think it has the liabilities that make other diets fail.

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:44 am

Great article! I think this quote from the article is one of the key aspects that sets No S apart from the restriction diets. The habit turns into something we do without having to think about. It doesn't take up any mental real estate!
“Maintaining weight loss is not a lifestyle,†she says. “It’s a job.†It’s a job that requires not just time, self-discipline, and energy—it also takes up a lot of mental real estate. People who maintain weight loss over the long term typically make it their top priority in life. Which is not always possible. Or desirable."
As Reinhard says in the book, and this is not an exact quote, but the jist of it is that he says our conscious thought is saved for more important/better things that food and weight loss.

lin47

Post by lin47 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:55 pm

Kittson wrote:Great article! I think this quote from the article is one of the key aspects that sets No S apart from the restriction diets. The habit turns into something we do without having to think about. It doesn't take up any mental real estate!
“Maintaining weight loss is not a lifestyle,†she says. “It’s a job.†It’s a job that requires not just time, self-discipline, and energy—it also takes up a lot of mental real estate. People who maintain weight loss over the long term typically make it their top priority in life. Which is not always possible. Or desirable."
As Reinhard says in the book, and this is not an exact quote, but the jist of it is that he says our conscious thought is saved for more important/better things that food and weight loss.
This is key for me. With any diet, I eventually get fed up with the time and attention I have to devote to it.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:53 am

This is a repeat from a previous post, but adds to the evidence.
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/Dieti ... chers-7832

Another study, which examined a variety of lifestyle factors and their relationship to changes in weight in more than 19,000 healthy older men over a four-year period, found that "one of the best predictors of weight gain over the four years was having lost weight on a diet at some point DURING THE YEARS BEFORE THE STUDY STARTED (caps mine)," Tomiyama said. In several studies, people in control groups who did not diet were not that much worse off — and in many cases were better off — than those who did diet, she said.

They go on to say that eating in moderation works better than diets. Well, sure, say most dieters, but what does that mean?

No S with "sometimes."
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)