Habit Builder with Paper Clips

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

catservant

Habit Builder with Paper Clips

Post by catservant » Fri May 15, 2015 11:48 am

I received this link in an email this morning...just when I needed a bit of motivation. I don't know if it will help, but I'll give it a try. I don't know yet exactly how I would apply it with No S though. I certainly don't need a reminder to eat my 3 plates. What I need is a motivator NOT to eat snacks! :?

http://jamesclear.com/paper-clips

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri May 15, 2015 5:07 pm

Grat idea. May actually work better than HabitCal, which exists only in virtual reality. Gonna give it a try!

catservant

Post by catservant » Fri May 15, 2015 9:19 pm

I'm using it as a reminder to take 6 ten minute walks today...4 down, 2 to go!

catservant

Post by catservant » Fri May 15, 2015 11:17 pm

I'm using it as a reminder to take 6 ten minute walks today...4 down, 2 to go!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat May 16, 2015 10:57 am

I once had the idea of using colored paperclips instead of the habitcal. I was thinking I'd clip them together and each day add a green one for success or red for fail. I planned to hang them from my wall where I'd see them and thus be inspired. I never did it though so I can't vouch for the effectiveness of the system.

I ended up thinking it would just be another thing to have to remember to do. I look at my phone everyday anyway so I decided to sick with habitcal.

Enjoy your s-days

catservant

Post by catservant » Sat May 16, 2015 9:36 pm

BTW...there must be a way to delete a post, but I can't seem to see how?! I posted my reply above twice, and would like to get rid of one of the postings. Help anybody?

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun May 17, 2015 12:22 pm

catservant to delete a post: after you log on there are three small tabs in the upper right side of any posts that you made. One of them is an "X". Click it to delete the post.

catservant

Post by catservant » Sun May 17, 2015 12:44 pm

Thanks, Gingerpie. For some bizarre reason, the double posted reply does not have the "X" option...only "Quote" and "Edit", although I do see the"X" on other posts I've made. :?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 25, 2015 4:34 pm

When I've had this happen in other places, I just edit the second one to read "oops. double post"

Regarding the visual cue, back when I did WW, they had a little beaded bracelet that you could load up with beads that represented points. It also had a charm on it, and one different-colored bead, I think, that represented the start of the day. Each time you ate, you moved the charm over the number of beads you "ate." Of course, if you ate over your points, there was no way to track, but it was a reminder that you were getting close. It was actually pretty simple. I liked it until it broke.

You might come up with something similar on a bracelet you have. You have three snack-free periods of the day you have to get through: breakfast to lunch, lunch to dinner, and dinner to bed. Have something that allows you to mark off just those three gaps. Or maybe you could start wearing rings on one hand and move them to the other over the course of the day.

Hmm, I miss that little bracelet. I might rig something myself.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

uschi

Post by uschi » Tue May 26, 2015 2:00 am

Oh! Oh!

These are portable and don't involve loose little pieces:

http://thelittleways.com/how-to-make-sacrifice-beads

This is what they look like in use:

http://trinityepiscopalchurchwestpittst ... yer-beads/

Traditionally you "pull" or slide a bead for good deeds or sacrifices made during the day. Very easy to make, basically attach string or cord to an item (could be a keyring or carabiner clip) to have two lengths hanging from it, then crisscross the string through desired number of beads, leaving a little extra slack at the end to be able to have a gap, then finish by tying string to a "finisher" object. Lots of examples if you search sacrifice beads or good deed beads, also instructions to make or you can buy ready made.

As simple to make as these are (popular group kid activity) the function is very cool. I like how the beads stay in place between pulls. Think I might make some with some fancy craft store beads vs. the plastic pony beads we used when my kids were little. :)