vitamin d deficiency

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ZippaDee

vitamin d deficiency

Post by ZippaDee » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:55 pm

Hey, I recently found out that I have a vitamin D deficiency.. Just found out through routine bloodwork. Doc has put me on some vitamin d supplements. Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and how difficult it is to turn around. Good news is thst my cholesterol is.no longer high! :)
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:07 pm

Hey, drink milk, eat dried apricots (not to many...), get some sun. That seems to be the great trade off in the States, now that we have sun phobia, and have increased deficiencies in certain areas, like Vit D. Also, areas where people get less sun there is an increase in colon cancer and certainly depression. I am not saying to hit the deck chair like a rock video girl, but 10-15 minutes a day is what is suggested. Now I am off for summer break I do that at 10:00 AM, or 4:00 PM. Don't burn of course, just get enough to get the D.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:13 pm

I totally agree with Over43. I read that in England 55% of people have vitamin D deficiency. I try to beat it by taking a 10-15min stroll/seat in the sun during my lunch time as often as the English weather will allow.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:58 pm

Thank you for your responses. I do feel I get out quite a bit as part.of my normal lifestyle. I work as a parapro at an elementary school and am outside for at least 25 minutes a day for recess duty. Also. I have two kids in track, which put me outside a lot for meets. And I walk and go for bike rides.
I was involved in a scary car accident on June 1. Thankfully I was not seriously injured, but I did have very severe bruising from my waist to knees on both legs.and am still dealing with two large hematomas...one on each leg. So, my outside exposure since.June 1st has dropped dramatically out of.necessity to rest.and heal. The bloodwork was done on June 15th...exactly two weeks after my accident. Definitely still in the midst.of major healing. I wonder if my body being in healing mode from such traumatic bruising and hematimas could have sent my vitamin d low? I actually just thought.of this possibility today? I am still not "out of the woods" with these hematimas. Go back to doc July 20. Whenever I try to google it is assuming that I am asking if bruising could be a symptom of vitamin d deficiency..Not if healing from severe bruising could cause it.hmmmm?
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

noni

Post by noni » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:32 pm

My son has a vitamin D deficiency, and the Dr. stressed to take Vitamin D3. I googled it and it seems the better of the D Vitamins to take.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:46 pm

Thank you for your responses. I do feel I get out quite a bit as part.of my normal lifestyle. I work as a parapro at an elementary school and am outside for at least 25 minutes a day for recess duty. Also. I have two kids in track, which put me outside a lot for meets. And I walk and go for bike rides.
I was involved in a scary car accident on June 1. Thankfully I was not seriously injured, but I did have very severe bruising from my waist to knees on both legs.and am still dealing with two large hematomas...one on each leg. So, my outside exposure since.June 1st has dropped dramatically out of.necessity to rest.and heal. The bloodwork was done on June 15th...exactly two weeks after my accident. Definitely still in the midst.of major healing. I wonder if my body being in healing mode from such traumatic bruising and hematimas could have sent my vitamin d low? I actually just thought.of this possibility today? I am still not "out of the woods" with these hematimas. Go back to doc July 20. Whenever I try to google it is assuming that I am asking if bruising could be a symptom of vitamin d deficiency..Not if healing from severe bruising could cause it.hmmmm?

Diets Don't Work.

Lyra

Post by Lyra » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:33 am

In Holland you can only actually make vitamin D from the sun between May and October, so a huge number of people have a deficiency. My husband went to the doctor complaining of muscle weakness... turns out it was a severe VD deficiency. Take the tablets regularly and then get another blood test to make sure you're taking enough. Good luck!

Lyra

Post by Lyra » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:34 am

In Holland you can only actually make vitamin D from the sun between May and October, so a huge number of people have a deficiency. My husband went to the doctor complaining of muscle weakness... turns out it was a severe VD deficiency. Take the tablets regularly and then get another blood test to make sure you're taking enough. Good luck!

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:02 am

I think it could be related. Vitamin D is important for your immunity and my guess is that if your immune system is in overdrive trying to heal you it will use a lot of it.

Also, when you are outside, make sure you get some unprotected time outside (at least 10-20minutes depending on your skin type. The sunscreen thing is correct - it's important to use it - but my doctor said we now get too little unprotected time in the sun which also causes Vit D deficiency.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:21 am

Thanks so much for your responses. Let me add that I do live in Michigan. And even the summer this year has not been too sunshiney. :/

Diets Don't Work.

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:17 pm

I'm in Michigan, too! And, yes, it's been less than sunny here. I've never thought of taking Vit. D supplements, but I think I might. I'm an office worker, and during the winter I leave my house and return home in the dark. Not a lot of time for sun-catching.

I'm sorry to hear about your car accident. I hope you heal up quickly.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:41 pm

I was diagnosed with a D deficiency and started taking the extra vitamins, but after about 3 months I still felt no marked increase in energy, or decrease in food cravings.
"No S IS hard... It just turns out that everything else is harder." -oolala53

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:52 pm

Returning to a beaten horse, and using anecdotal evidence. A few years back (Five actually), My wife and I headed to the Caribbean at the end of May. The Spring here had been cool and rainy (a developing trend for this part of the High Desert). I left the Caymans a week later energized, tan, thinner, and happy.

I am not sure that vitamins replace some of the things "nature" gives us to help us function better. Even leading up to the trip, when I tanned in a machine (yes I did, but not more than 10 minutes a session), I started feeling better. (This was the trip I started No S in earnest at the end of March, and lost 20 pounds by the time the trip started.)

Fortunately I live on a couple of acres and have privacy. I can sit in a chair without a shirt and not feel self conscious. I hate being shirtless in public, so for me, that problem is solved.

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

KarinaJimenez

Amazing

Post by KarinaJimenez » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:13 pm

I have high cholesterol. I did not know that vitamin D could help me with that.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:54 pm

Ask your doctor, but I believe Niacin is the supplement that helps cholesterol. Niacin can cause flushing and such.

Graham

Post by Graham » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:30 pm

Vitamin D is also well-supplied by eating free-range pastured eggs and drinking whole milk from pasture-fed cattle. Being outdoors in sunlight enables chickens and cows to produce more vitamin D which passes into their eggs and milk respectively.

Drinking skimmed milk cuts down on the fat and therefore fat-soluble vitamins in the milk. Now the dietary fat scare is losing support, we can go back to whole milk, and eating an egg or two daily, so long as the cows and chickens are able to spend time outdoors instead of living in some giant warehouse.

On the matter of vitamin D supplements: I understand the safest way to take supplemental vitamin D3, especially in large doses, is in conjunction with vitamin K2.