Good Books?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gingerpie

Good Books?

Post by gingerpie » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:05 pm

I'm in the mood for some good reading material but need suggestions. I read far more non-fiction than fiction but will read on almost any topic so . . . what do you recommend?

I also read fiction so feel free to add your favorite fiction to the list as well.

Thanks in advance.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:16 pm

Some non-fiction I've enjoyed:
Wild Swans - personal stories of 3 generations of Chinese women, intertwined with Chinese history.
A Thread Across the Ocean - incredible story of the first cable across the Atlantic
Fifty Plants that Changed the Course of History - this is more one you dip in and out of, but really fascinating. More like a series of essays, with lovely art work.

A lot of the fiction I read is fantasy and sci/fi, which I'm not sure is your thing, so I won't recommend it. I did really enjoy The Rosie Project.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:06 pm

Thanks I'll check them out. You guessed right: I'm not much of a fantasy/SciFi reader. I tend to get bored with them 1/2 way through :)

HappyHiker

Post by HappyHiker » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:37 am

My last non-fiction read was A Cruel and Shocking Act: The Secret History of The Kennedy Assassination by Philip Shenon. It's about the Warren Commission. I thought it was very good.

The last non-fiction I enjoyed was The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. It is really funny and a nice light read.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:27 pm

HappyHiker, that's funny that we both recommended The Rosie Project. Clearly you have good taste in books ;)

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:25 pm

If you are interested in finance:
Michael Lewis: The Big Short
and Boomerang by the same author

For Food related issues:
Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food
and The Omnivore's Dilemma by the same author

Brian Wansink: Slim By Design
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:39 pm

I just finished 12 Years a Slave by Solomon Northup. Unbelievable story, this one really made an impression on me. In spite of its heavy content, it is 'light' to read. I finished it in 2 days.
Expectation exists when there is fear.
- Swami