Opps....fell at first hurdle ......

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Kit

Opps....fell at first hurdle ......

Post by Kit » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:41 pm

First hurdle. Friday. A group of people most over 60 and some over 70 trying to sort stuff out of a container where it has been since our meeting house was demolished after the earthquakes and into our new building. I am in my 50's and one of only 2 people under 60.

Shovel glove has nothing on me! I am lifting and carrying and lifting and carrying....

Then lunch. Shared lunch. With people who are mostly vegetarian and know I am vegan. And they had baked. Nice yummy cakes and biscuits. Homemade vegan cakes and biscuits. :shock:

And I was hungry after all that work

And I ate cake

And biscuits

And more cake

And more biscuits......

Mind you...they were yummy ! :oops:

Well, today is Saturday. Remember....note to self....no punishing oneself! Enjoy the weekend and get back on the wagon Monday.

Kit. :D

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:38 pm

You're right. No worries. So today was a failed attempt but there is always next week to try again. 8) I find it very helpful to have a plan in place for times when I know or suspect that temptation will be hard to put behind me. If this is a group that eats together often, perhaps you'll have to come up with a pre-planned polite refusal. I often think the key is to be prepared. . . not necessarily that the plan has to be complicated.

Better luck next time.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:32 pm

That sounds like a very unusual situation, and probably worthy of a fail.
Enjoy your weekend and think in terms of habit from Monday and you'll be fine.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:22 pm

Next time, just lots of biscuits, but on a plate. Still green per No S!

Veganism is another issue altogether. It sounds like you are actually transitioning to being a vegan, if you are still choosing to eat non-vegan foods, so you are actually working on two major eating changes at once. I was working on No S proper AND on bingeing at the same time years ago. Even though I continued to pretty much binge on S days for a long time, I called myself being binge free on those days! It seemed to make sticking to No S easier, and definitely to reducing my bingeing. Eventually, the sanity of N days won out, and I got tired of wild S days. I weaned myself off them- most of the time. And it's okay. I actually don't claim that I will never again eat a package of cookie dough. But I don't do it these days, and it might never happen again. I can live with that.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:01 pm

oolala53 wrote:...biscuits, but on a plate. Still green per No S...
I think maybe "biscuits" in this context means "cookies" in American English, thus not on an N day.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:18 pm

Oh. Makes sense. No English biscuits! American biscuits saved me many times in the beginning from eating real sweets later or from eating a heavy snack before dinner...
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Dale

Post by Dale » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:19 am

This is just my feeling, but I think that's a special situation, where people have specially baked vegan food just because you are vegan. Of course it's polite to eat some and enjoy it. There's a social aspect to eating too. Personally, I would be counting that as a Special occasion (like a birthday)

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:14 am

Reinhard says, when this happens, either declare it an extra S day - or mark it up as a 'fail' - then just move on! You're awareness is the benefit on this occasion.

Keep going! :)
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

Kit

Post by Kit » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:23 pm

Yeah, biscuits means cookies I think! Sweet with sometimes chocolate or icing on top.

Oolala, We have been vegan (plant based) since 2012, when hubby and I finally joined our two daughters, one vegan, one vegetarian. I really like the food, and it fits our ethics. However I know lots of yummy vegan meals, and treats. And dark chocolate is vegan, as are chips, coke, Oreos......

I have had a lovely weekend. Morning tea with hubby at our favourite vegetarian restaurant. (Vegan chocolate cake!) and I made cherry scones on Saturday. We finished them for supper last night, and it is Monday morning.

I am aiming for 1 good week. Just one. Let's not worry about the rest of our lives, let's just go for one good week :)

Onwards!

Kit