Latest Judith Beck book

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oolala53

Latest Judith Beck book

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:40 pm

I'm going to quote a bit from Judith Beck's latest book, "The Diet Trap Solution."

from p. 38

(beginning of quote)You absolutely need a reasonable, flexible, nutritious "diet" (quotation marks mine) if you want to escape your traps, lose weight, and maintain weight loss. You won't have long-term success with an unhealthy or OVERLY RESTRICTIVE diet.

Why, you ask? If eating fewer calories than you burn is the basis of any weight-loss plan, why can't you just drastically reduce your calories and lose weight quickly?

Answer: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CUTTING CALORIES IN THE SHORT TERM AND THEN INCREASING CALORIES WITHOUT GAINING WEIGHT. In fact, we don't want dieters to make changes THEY CAN'T KEEP UP FOR LIFE, unless they are under the care of a medical provider. The changes you make to lose weight are exactly the same changes you need to maintain weight loss. Dieting and maintenance are identical. No more "three [excruciating] weeks to a new body" diet plans. That's a recipe for eventual failure... We don't want you to make any changes in your eating that you can't keep up. It is completely unrealistic to think that you can eliminate your favorite foods long term... You just need to learn the skills, presented in this chapter and throughout the book, to limit your consumption of certain foods.(end of quote)

As I'm fond of saying, there are exceptions to this, but that is what they are: exceptions. Even if 100% of the exceptions all chime in at the same time, it doesn't change the odds.

I also want to report that Beck puts establishing routine times of eating BEFORE dictating what is eaten at those events.

For the record, she does say that the strategy of relaxing eating standards on weekends doesn't hold up statistically, but since No S is about "sometimes," I say it still fits. She has said in other books that she advocates eating about a quarter more than usual for special events, but that most days should resemble each other. That probably dovetails with people's eventual habits on S days.
Last edited by oolala53 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

cedar

Post by cedar » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:58 pm

Thanks for this Oolala! I actually woke up this morning thinking about buying Judith beck's new book and then I see your post! I'm back to no s for the 3rd time and it's really clicked this time around..I have gone through the whole "tried every diet .fasting Atkins vegan etc.." Verse "anti diet emotional eating body acceptance eat what you like" thing and I've really just come to the realisation that all that does is put weight on and has in no way stopped me from overeating. No s is really the only thing I can do..I like my 3 meals, I like getting hungry in between it feels right, my digestion has improved because my body actually has time to digest and deal with each meal. My s days are a little out of control but I keep saying to myself it feels worse than it is because n days feel so good that any overeating feels strange and over the top. For me it's about getting real and practical..I've struggled for so long with eating and food and I don't want to live with the anguish anymore..life is way too short. But I want to lose a little weight not much but mainly I want to be sane and real and no s is seriously the only way.. Love reading this forum it's really helpful.. :D

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:56 am

cedar wrote: But I want to lose a little weight not much but mainly I want to be sane and real and no s is seriously the only way..
THIS is the reason I love NoS and am still at it 7 years later..... And be encouraged: over time my good Nday habits have definitely moderated my S day indulgences. My current Sdays are just as (and maybe more so because I'm more selective now) satisfying as my early S days even though I'm objectively eating far less.... NoS scores a win-win! :-)

Best wishes for your good NoS success!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

cedar

Post by cedar » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:20 am

Wow..7 years that's fantastic and very encouraging. Thankyou for the info about your s days, I was wondering how the long termer's S days looked. Funnily enough after 3 weeks of successful n days my biggest concern is my s days (and I've read enough of the forum to see I'm not alone). My issue is that even when I'm full or not even wanting sweets and it doesn't feel enjoyable I still eat just so I don't feel deprived during the n days. I purchased Judith Beck's new book today on kindle, so I'm looking forward to some practical techniques and listening to "s days gone wild" on the podcast is very helpful also. No s really is so brilliant yet so simple I feel a peace with my body and food that I have never felt before even on my previous attempts at no s.. I'm very grateful to Reinhard and this forum :o

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:49 pm

I haven't read Judy Beck's book, but I understand that it takes CBT informed approach, which I think might be very compatible with No-S.

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:32 am

cedar wrote:Wow..7 years that's fantastic and very encouraging. Thankyou for the info about your s days, I was wondering how the long termer's S days looked. Funnily enough after 3 weeks of successful n days my biggest concern is my s days (and I've read enough of the forum to see I'm not alone). My issue is that even when I'm full or not even wanting sweets and it doesn't feel enjoyable I still eat just so I don't feel deprived during the n days.
At the risk of tooting my own horn, I just posted my (7th!) annual NoS testimony on the testimony board. In it, I put links to previous years' testimonies. If you read them, you'll see that I was that person who, in the beginning, ate abundantly on S days just because I could... I really took Reinhard at his word and didn't worry about S days, just N-day compliance.

I think it took about a year for S days to work itself out. After a few months of NoS, I would feel terrible by Sunday night. Thus, I was very motivated to learn how to enjoy S days and still feel good when the weekend finished. It was/is a process and a journey. My S days are still evolving....I prefer fruit-based desserts now (and I can remember a time when I would be aghast and majorly disappointed if dessert wasn't rich and/or chocolatey. :D )

The real key, IMO, is to enjoy your meals, N days especially. That doesn't mean fancy meals; there is a lot of satisfaction to be had even in a PB-sandwich-with-carrot-sticks meal if 1. you're hungry (Thanks to NoS habits), and 2. you slow down enough to really taste and enjoy it.

Keep on, you are doing great!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:13 am

A horn that deserves to be tooted if I ever heard one!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

cedar

Post by cedar » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:59 am

I absolutely agree with Oolala..toot that horn! Its so helpful to know your story..will be reading your testimonial ASAP.
And yes Reinhard, the book (judith Beck's) is definitely no s compatible.. I read this today about "strengthening your resistance muscle"
"You may fool yourself by thinking it's only pretzel crumbs. Can't be more than 20cals. But it's not just the calories that should be your primary concern- ITS THE HABIT".

Mustloseweight

Post by Mustloseweight » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:43 pm

I have just downloaded a copy to my e-reader. Looking forward to reading it!
September 2017 - Starting weight: 19st 9lbs
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟
Target Weight: 11 stones

Skelton

Post by Skelton » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:59 am

I already have - and haven't finished working through - both the Beck Diet Solution and the Beck Weight Loss Workbook.

Do I need to buy this book, ie is there more information that will be helpful to me as a No S-er (currently struggling with food issues) ?
"We stop looking for the better diet and start looking for a better life." pangelsue

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:13 pm

I wouldn't say so. It has a lot of the same information but arranged differently. It's not a day-by-day program but more the general principles. No S itself plus using her thought strategies to stick with it I believe is plenty.

But I"m not sure what you mean by food issues. Do you mean emotional eating or dietary allergies?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Skelton

Post by Skelton » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:46 pm

Oolala , yes I should have been more clear, my issues are binge/compulsive eating.
Your post about this book has inspired me to get my copy of Beck Diet Solution off my bookshelf and I plan to read it tonight. I worked with it in the past for a couple of weeks but gave up, for some reason.
"We stop looking for the better diet and start looking for a better life." pangelsue

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:48 pm

Beck admits that her regular program recommendations may not be appropriate for people with an eating disorder. However, she does have some material on emotional eating that is very rational, and I believe, workable. Basically, she says to challenge the thoughts and urges to eat outside your plan, many of which are for emotional reasons, and just don't give in. I considered myself to be a binge eater. When I really got that it wasn't about making the uncomfortable feelings or situation go away, that I could still have plenty of life problems but just not eat over them, it didn't seem like an insurmountable problem anymore. I had a couple of years of fairly wild S days at least one day each weekend, and still have some heavy days, but I consider it manageable. And I'm about 45 lbs. down, in my normal BMI range.

Actually, a book I recommend is Brain Over Binge. The author was a bulimic, and thus not actually overweight, so she didn't have to contend with actively trying to lose weight. She used rational thoughts to resist binges and routinely ate and eats three meals and two snacks most days, allowing all foods. Our only real difference is less food on N days and allowing some leeway on S days, which I still think is preferable, esp. for those who have been overweight. She says all the emphasis on being an emotional eater and thinking she had to solve her life problems before she would be able to give up bingeing delayed her recovery. Granted, she didn't seem to have a lot of problems some bingers legitimately have, but I think it's wise to learn to separate the two.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Skelton

Post by Skelton » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:15 pm

Thanks again Oolala.

Sometimes I think my problem is food addiction rather than binge eating disorder.
I've tried to do research on that and the only 'treatment' for food addicts seems to be a very strict nutrition plan, cutting out flour and sugar completely.
Not sure where to go/what to do next to deal with it.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:03 pm

Addictions respond to "harm reduction" tactics, too. Some addicts may eventually decide to eliminate the substance, but it works better when they come to the conclusion calmly, reflecting on their efforts and the consequences in their lives. Contrary to popular belief, there are people for whom alcohol was once a problem who drink moderately later. Sure, there are some who can't, but it's not black and white.

Just do your best to eat fabulous meals on N days and HOLD ON! You may likely feel lots of urges and have lots of thoughts to deviate from the plan, but use the strategies!

Two of Beck's foundations are sitting down to eat and savoring EVERY bite. These fit right on with No S. Enjoy that plate of food and then do something else!

I think your odds are better than you think they are.

And you may decide as time goes on that sugar and flour play a very small role in your life, or none. I certainly eat way less of them than I planned to, but it's just evolved. I might be better off if I never ate them again, but it just doesn't seem that important now.

I'm going to write the rest in private.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Skelton

Post by Skelton » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:58 am

oolala53 wrote:Addictions respond to "harm reduction" tactics, too. Some addicts may eventually decide to eliminate the substance, but it works better when they come to the conclusion calmly, reflecting on their efforts and the consequences in their lives. Contrary to popular belief, there are people for whom alcohol was once a problem who drink moderately later. Sure, there are some who can't, but it's not black and white.

Just do your best to eat fabulous meals on N days and HOLD ON! You may likely feel lots of urges and have lots of thoughts to deviate from the plan, but use the strategies!

Two of Beck's foundations are sitting down to eat and savoring EVERY bite. These fit right on with No S. Enjoy that plate of food and then do something else!

I think your odds are better than you think they are.

And you may decide as time goes on that sugar and flour play a very small role in your life, or none. I certainly eat way less of them than I planned to, but it's just evolved. I might be better off if I never ate them again, but it just doesn't seem that important now.

I'm going to write the rest in private.
Thanks, this is very helpful to me.

You're spot on it's the holding on that I struggle with, so I need to get my Beck Advantage Response card written out to help me when I'm struggling to hold on.

I don't want to label myself as a food addict and then feel hopeless, although I have been feeling rather hopeless. I used to smoke between 30-40 cigarettes a day (one and half to two packs). I stopped smoking 12 years, but after smoking for nearly 30 years by that time I was certainly addicted to nicotine and I've dealt with that successfully so I have to believe that if I work on this, I will deal with it too!

Look forward to reading more in private when you have the time, thank you.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:12 pm

Just for the heck of it, I took another of Beck's books, The Complete Beck Diet for Life out of the library, and dang if there isn't some great stuff in there, too. I HATE all the emphasis on doing it all to be thin and on calories, but the strategies to keep habits and the discussions are good stuff, if anyone needs a booster.

But the No S book is central.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

tacodiscos

Post by tacodiscos » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:09 am

I'm in the process of reading brain over binge and this thread helped me so much!! It's all making sense!! Thank you!!
Start date: 7/21/15, apx 180lbs
2/5/16, -16lbs, 164