Super Strictness Yields Super Ease!!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

xara

Super Strictness Yields Super Ease!!

Post by xara » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:19 pm

I've been No S-ing for nearly two months now. And I have been super strict with the rules the entire time. I am here to say that I'm finding it easier to do all the time. It's amazingly easy! I do believe that's so because I haven't allowed any exceptions whatsoever.

Yesterday I was at a special event that offered doughnuts. Not an S-day, so not a temptation! Then my mom sent me into our best local pie shop to buy her a piece of cherry pie. I went in with confidence, knowing it would not be a problem for pie-loving me. I was laughing on my way in at the sign announcing the shop's video surveillance, imagining pie heists.... As soon as I went in, I was offered a sample of their key lime pie. I love key lime pie, but had no trouble at all resisting; it was Wednesday, after all!

I LOVE sweets, and have over-indulged all of my long life (I'm 59). But through No-S I've trained my appetite, and am so grateful! (And yes, my weekends include sweet indulgences!)

The other thing that amazes me is that between meals I'm hardly thinking about food (except to occasionally marvel at the fact that I'm *not* thinking about food).

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:52 pm

Fantastic news! Enjoy the ease.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:00 am

Your post made me smile because I can remember the tremendous relief I felt when I realized I wasn't obsessing about food all the time! I think youre right about the stricter you are the easier it is. Clear boundaries! Makes me wish I could start over as a parent sometimes. I would have had much firmer boundaries for them.

Anyway so glad things are going well for you!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:01 am

I have had the same experience - it's great, isn't it! I think somewhere in the book, or on the website, Reinhard does say that it works for 'like-minded' people - and I'm so glad I came across him, because I'm one of those 'like-minded' people - it totally appeals to my brain/mind. Like you, I have also been strict and made no modifications of exceptions to the 'rules' (apart from my very first week when I allowed myself one snack because I was coming down from three snacks a day - I was able to drop that after a week).
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:53 am

Congratulations, xara! Funny how strictness makes it easier. We live near (dangerously near, I'd say if it weren't for No-S) a fantastic pie shop ourselves.

krawford13

Post by krawford13 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:22 pm

Your post was encouraging to me. This has always been a problem for me. Strict one day. Lenient the next day or two. Strict the next. In the book "Then Just Stay Fat" the author says "If you are one of the many who lost weight and gained it back, or never reached your weight goals, you also know how it feels to let persistence slip through your grasp. Some of you are thinking, aaahhh big deal, everyone knows you have to stick to a diet to lose weight...duuuh. and those of you thinking that are correct. But do not be fooled or lulled into a false sense of security. Without persistence, you will fail, and it is unbelievably easy to turn loose of it." I need to stick with it, be strict with it, be persistent with it. So, I am starting over this day. My goal is to persist!!! Be strict!!!
kat

krawford13

Post by krawford13 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:56 pm

And, in Reinhard's book he says "The basic case for strictness is that it builds habit faster. If you are strict, your appetites learn quickly that it's not worth test the boundaries all the time." and "...strictness makes it easier. It's being lenient that's hard" and "the most important time for strictness is at the beginning when your habit is new. Later, when you habit becomes mature, strictness wont' really be much of an issue. The habit will then do what's right automatically."
kat

xara

Post by xara » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:00 pm

Yes, every few days something happens that reminds me of how easy this has become, and amazes me all over again. From the past ten days:

1) Walking into a shop and immediately being offered a sample of their homemade fudge. Easy to say no!

2) Sitting next to my husband during a 50-minute drive while he ate Doritos (which smelled delicious) and I was HUNGRY, and it wasn't hard to resist. I no longer fear being hungry.

3) Attending a ladies' gathering last night, cheese and salami were offered a few hours after my dinner. In the old days I would have been quite ready to eat by that time, but now my inward response is, "Food? I've already had dinner..." When a delicious homemade pastry was offered, I asked for it in a bag (and have already consumed it, guilt-free and with great enjoyment, as today is Saturday!). :wink:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:07 pm

Sanity!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:32 pm

I would have bought a piece of pie and ate it first thing at breakfast on Saturday.. but that's just me...
"No S IS hard... It just turns out that everything else is harder." -oolala53