Hello from a newbie

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Octavia

Hello from a newbie

Post by Octavia » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:36 pm

This is the first time I've ever joined a forum! :) Have recently discovered No S, and it feels like the most intelligent, well thought-out diet in the world! It's already helped my disorderly eating habits, in fact I realise that for the past few years I've been struggling to forge a plan like this one on my own, but being brainwashed by various other books, I've never managed to do it. It seems to me that the more recent books that promise to help you to "lose weight permanently without dieting" are just as harmful and unrealistic than the ones that advise giving up food groups or counting points/calories! In particular, I think I've been sidetracked by the British writer Gillian Riley. I feel rotten saying this, because she's clearly a caring, well-informed writer with loads of integrity. I wonder if anyone else has read her books? I'd love to know what others think. Her plan is basically to stop dieting (ie. no external restrictions), stop worrying about slimming and focus instead on gaining self-esteem, and let those addictive urges just wash over you without responding to them. That way, she claims, your brain will be re-wired. But for me, failing to set any boundaries and dismissing matters of vanity = green light for bingeing! She advises setting "Times and Plans" for what and when you'll eat next - a sort of boundary, I suppose, but one that requires constant vigilance and attention. I can't even remember to do it. The No S plan of just having three meals a day is one I CAN remember! Anyway...sorry to ramble on...I'd love to know if anyone else has got into a muddle by absorbing Gillian Riley's approach, like I have. (There are good things in her books, by the way, but in an overall sense they don't provide a viable method.) Thanks and happy No S-ing to you all.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:52 pm

I do know of Gillian Riley. I even bought one of her books, which is unusual for me. I also felt that she was too vague. She and Geneen Roth, who I loved for years. Last March, I went to a weekend workshop of Geneen's with about 300 mostly low-to-mid-range obese women and boy, did I feel sorry for most of those women at the end of the weekend because I was pretty sure most of them were going to feel high for a few days and then likely go back to their problems with eating. I didn't really feel I needed the message but I guess I just wanted to say I'd seen her after having first read her books, then seen her rise for three decades. It's a loving message, but ultimately, I don't think the success rate is high.

No S brought it all together for me. Some order and limits, with still a fair amount of freedom on weekdays. The training wheels came off on weekends. I careened and fell a lot. But it's basically come together. Failing a fair amount at other things actually helped. When I'd get scared or miffed, I'd just think, "What's the alternative?" That would sober me up.

Welcome to the family.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:15 pm

Thanks, Oolala! It's reassuring that someone else feels the same! Gillian Riley's writing is so convincing, it had a grip on me for years. I wavered between mild calorie counting (effective but impossible to sustain) and attempting to follow GR's method, which basically meant permasnacking and no discipline whatsoever. I never understood what she meant by having a deep sense of "personal choice" (as opposed to feeling one is being deprived). Calorie counting felt like a personal choice to me. On the other hand, ignoring addictive urges never felt like a personal choice at all. I couldn't get my head round her subtle argument, and it was no help whatsoever. A sort of mental trick that I just didn't get.

I really relate to what you said about the Geneen Roth workshop. I haven't read her books, but I've read plenty about them, and I'd like to bet that her success rate is low. I can't even remember how I stumbled upon No S - maybe it was on mumsnet - but I knew immediately it was what I was looking for. I read the book, and it was amazing to not have that "I'm not quite convinced" feeling. I can't understand why No S isn't better known! Anyway, thanks so much for your reply. All the best! :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:19 pm

It was fate. Good that you knew to surrender.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:17 am

Welcome to the forum. It's a lovely place to visit.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:21 am

Welcome to the forum. It's a lovely place to visit.

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:54 am

Welcome to the satisfying, sane, and sustainable world of NoS!

If you ever feel a wavering or doubt about it, please visit the testimonial board and the sticky posts at the top of this one, especially:

https://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3883 (Catchphrases---very helpful thoughts in there!)
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:52 am

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.