Simple Rules

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

Simple Rules

Post by kccc » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:28 pm

Just read a book on "Simple Rules", and my first thought was "No-S"! It's the epitome of a "simple rule"!

The book is a business book, addressing "managing complexity" through simple rules that guide decision-making. There's a chapter on applying them to personal situations, but really, it's mostly business-oriented.

However, the TYPES of rules were of interest, and may be applicable for anyone thinking about mods. (DON'T think about mods unless you've been doing this a while - read the "Phases of No-S" above!)

There are two basic groups of rules. Rules for making better decisions include:

> Boundary rules – help decide between two mutually exclusive alternatives
> Prioritization rules – provide the basis for ranking alternatives and assigning
> Stopping rules – when do we reverse a decision or take a different course

Rules for doing things better include:

> How to rules – guide the basics of executing tasks
> Coordination rules – getting things done when there are multiple actors
> Timing rules – guidelines for when to take action

Book info
http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Rules-Thri ... op?ie=UTF8

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:22 am

Since I don't generally check-in on the check-in thread, can I just say again it is nice to have you back, KCCC?

Thanks for the book rec--it seems like something I would enjoy reading very much. I'm using the simple rules outlined in the KonMari method of decluttering and am having great success for the first time in a long time with getting our large hospitality (so lots of competing interests) house in order.

Again, welcome back and now we know to look forward to your visits during the holiday season. :-)
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:15 am

Might be some Christmas break reading. Tx!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:12 am

I will say the case studies can get a bit tedious- read some of the reviews before you take it on. They can give you the broad strokes of the concept.