Another returnee

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Merry

Another returnee

Post by Merry » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:17 am

Thanksgiving tipped the scales for me a bit too literally! I've always liked the simplicity and clarity of NoS, but I think when I tried it in the past (several years ago now), I just wasn't ready to deal with all the social situations that involve deserts. It's (fairly) easy to follow NoS at home, but I seem to have multiple times per month where one or more weeknights involve a meeting with deserts or snacks! Sabotages all around :-). I've known for a long time that I need to figure out healthy habits that I can continue life-long, rather than "dieting."

A copy of the NoS Diet book is on the way (I think I need the added info & reminders, though I've read a lot of the site). I really appreciate reading the posts here again, with the emphasis on habits being something we can control, the reminder that our brain should tell our stomach when to stop, the great signature lines about counting plates and other catchy reminders, the poster who said she no longer feared being hungry, the poster who said parties are easy on N days--the answer's just no!, the idea of choosing your reward (I'm looking forward to a Peppermint Mocha on my first S day!).

Maybe I won't get to a perfect weight (though I really want to lose 60 lbs), but if I can learn some healthier, sustainable choices, I think that would be so beneficial! So far my first week is going well (and I survived my first desert event, which even had some incredibly gooey looking brownies!) I kept thinking, "I've had brownies before and I'll have them again. Just not today." I ate dinner right before I went so I would be full--and that chocolate smell didn't entice me at all. It was just...nice. That's unusual for me, and I'm sure things won't always go that smoothly, but it was a nice start :-).

Now if I can only keep from being an idiot on S days going into the Christmas season! I've accepted that I may end up over-indulging, but I also feel hopeful--the post on phases helped me see that it's okay to focus on just creating good habits of N & S days to start, and then gradually letting that impact S day behavior, coming up with strategies a bit later if I need them--giving myself room to succeed (or fail--and try again).

Anyway...hoping to stick with this longer this time!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:49 pm

You might be asking a lot of yourself not to be an idiot this month. Don't let that throw you. It is not a sign of complete failure. Give yourself several months.

I have used the "I've eaten X before (in spades!) and will again. Just not now." countless times over the years. I also think about the other good things there are to eat at the event.

Habits of moderation are king! We really do need to find the habits that we can sustain. If we can't live No S, what makes us think we'll sustain something even more stringent for decades?

A new book by a diet researcher emphasizes (again) that the majority of those few who do lose to cosmetic thinness and keep it off do it by making it basically into a part time job. It's not sustainable for most, and not necessary, at least for basic health for most people.

Another idea that often helped me was, really, what are my options? Overeat consistently? Count calories? Eliminate foods? I didn't want any of them. No S, without or without mods, was left. But weight loss was not my main goal. I fell in love with the idea of moderation and the better feelings I got when I live that way.

Welcome home!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:55 pm

oolala53 wrote: A new book by a diet researcher emphasizes (again) that the majority of those few who do lose to cosmetic thinness and keep it off do it by making it basically into a part time job.
If you recall the title of the book, I'd adore reading it.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:40 am

Thanks for the "welcome home!" I've enjoyed reading many of your posts this week :-).
oolala53 wrote:I have used the "I've eaten X before (in spades!) and will again. Just not now." countless times over the years. I also think about the other good things there are to eat at the event.
In my case, the events tend to be all desert items and aren't intended to be meals--so there aren't other things to think about! That's one thing that has derailed me in the past, and I really just need to learn how to be a part of things without eating all the junk. One event typically has pop or water available (drank the water), another usually has coffee--so I think I just need to go full and enjoy beverages and friends. Someone mentioned no longer being afraid of hunger--and I think I just need to not fear going dessert-less! I'd like some dessert-less hips, LOL! Or at least to carry fewer around on them!
Respect Moderation

roseha

Post by roseha » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:55 am

Welcome back Merry! Good luck with your re-dedication to NoS - it is a tough time of year to start but sometimes the desire to do something helps get you through I think.

I've been coming back to the board myself tonight. I was here quite a few years ago, I guess starting around 2006 and I am reading my old posts that say I lost 25 pounds (don't remember exactly now) but anyway I really believe in NoS, but I got kind of lax about it this year.

I took early retirement about a year ago, and while I wouldn't say I've gone crazy with eating, I haven't always been active in terms of any exercise, and I do tend to have some extra food after dinner - usually raw cashews or some other nuts. That may not seem so bad but when you eat a lot of it - I think it's been adding up. I'm almost 10 pounds up from last summer and while I don't generally eat sweets or seconds I think the after dinner snacking is getting to be a problem. I may just have to cut it out, unless I can add a few nuts to my dinner plate I guess? (or have them on S days?) Have to figure out the "virtual plating" thing I think, I really don't want this to get out of hand.

Maybe have herb tea at night? Unfortunately while I love coffee it will keep me up if I drink it then.

Quick Bites

Post by Quick Bites » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:02 pm

I have modified no s like a few others (3-0-7 girl) to include one small sweet per day with a meal instead of taking weekend s days. I did have some success over a few month period with a recent nightmare of a break from no s (see my earlier post today) and am now back.

I know that this mod can be a trigger for craving more sweets for some, but for me I would rather have a few spoonfuls of a sweet each day than save them for the weekend and also like the idea of having 7 days a week be the same to solidify habit. This keeps me from focusing/obsessing what I can have for a treat for the upcoming weekend, just the upcoming day which is so much more tolerable and I am able to stop at just a small serving especially when it is something of high quality, no run of the mill snickers bars for this girl! I will however take very special days as S days, Christmas, anniversaries, birthdays.

Good Luck!

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:54 am

roseha wrote: I'm almost 10 pounds up from last summer and while I don't generally eat sweets or seconds I think the after dinner snacking is getting to be a problem. I may just have to cut it out, unless I can add a few nuts to my dinner plate I guess? (or have them on S days?) Have to figure out the "virtual plating" thing I think, I really don't want this to get out of hand.

Maybe have herb tea at night? Unfortunately while I love coffee it will keep me up if I drink it then.
After dinner eating is a big issue for me. It's so funny--I eat a fairly light breakfast (smoothie) and I'm often not hungry for several hours. But I can eat a nice sized dinner and feel like I'm ready to eat for the rest of the night! I never realized just how much I was snacking at night until I stopped snacking! I've been doing tea at night. I love decaf constant comment. That does help.

Thanks for the welcome :-)
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:22 pm

Merry, just to say, I'm pretty sure eating a light or not eating breakfast has been shown to be highly correlated with after-dinner eating. Not sure if it's just psychosomatic or not. Might be worth an experiment. But the bottom line is probably mostly just plain old willpower until it gets easier.

For those interested, the book is Secrets from the Eating Lab by Traci Mann.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:58 am

oolala53 wrote:Merry, just to say, I'm pretty sure eating a light or not eating breakfast has been shown to be highly correlated with after-dinner eating. Not sure if it's just psychosomatic or not. Might be worth an experiment.
Thanks!
Respect Moderation

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:04 pm

Welcome back Merry!
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:48 am

walkerlori wrote:Welcome back Merry!
Thanks. Merry Christmas, everyone!
Respect Moderation