Apparently I eat all day!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Merry

Apparently I eat all day!

Post by Merry » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:34 am

Did anyone else find, as they started NoS, that one of their real problems is that they eat throughout the day? I never really noticed or thought about it before, but now that I'm focusing on meals, it sure stands out, LOL! Any time that I want to stop and think through a problem, I seem to think that's a good time to go get a snack! Obviously I need to replace this thought pattern! Maybe that's a good time to...get up and do a 5 minute exercise?!

How have you replaced your snacking habit with another, more beneficial (or at least not detrimental) habit?
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:21 am

Yep I definitely remembering noticing how often I'd find myself staring at an open frig. I find its best to do something completely enjoyable like read a book or watch mindless tv. I know we're suppose to go for a walk or sit with our feelings but if the substitution isn't just as enjoyable as the real thing (food), I'm going for the food every time. Eventually I got to the point where I'd reach for food between meals & go oh yeah I'm just doing that because the girls are fighting & im stressed. Now I'll go lay in my room for a bit because it's not mealtime. The need for a mindless distraction is gone because my habit is so intact.

I'm rambling but hope it makes sense somehow.

Gl!

Linda :)
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:13 pm

Goodness, yes, Merry!

The acceptability of snacking is very much the perfect storm. Easy to prepare (as in no preparation, really), often inexpensive, shelf-stable, calorically dense and difficult to track because it's often unconscious behavior.

It's possible that a lot of it is that we also habitually bundle eating with other things as well. I am extremely guilty, even now, of eating meals while I am working.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

FarmerHal

Re: Apparently I eat all day!

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:38 pm

Merry wrote:Did anyone else find, as they started NoS, that one of their real problems is that they eat throughout the day? I never really noticed or thought about it before, but now that I'm focusing on meals, it sure stands out, LOL! Any time that I want to stop and think through a problem, I seem to think that's a good time to go get a snack! Obviously I need to replace this thought pattern! Maybe that's a good time to...get up and do a 5 minute exercise?!

How have you replaced your snacking habit with another, more beneficial (or at least not detrimental) habit?
This is my MAJOR problem right here. I eat emotionally, or bored, or lonely. I also homeschool, and some days the stress level is quite high and I walk right into the kitchen to find something to calm myself down.

I'm needing to find an alternative! Ugh. :(
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:23 am

NoelFigart wrote: It's possible that a lot of it is that we also habitually bundle eating with other things as well. I am extremely guilty, even now, of eating meals while I am working.
Yes, that's exactly what I do! I work part-time from home, and I often eat while I'm working at the computer--and apparently had the habit of getting up to get a snack to go think through tougher problems. Now every time I need to think through a tougher email to respond to, I realize that this is when I would eat! I've been getting up and getting water or tea instead this week...I'm just surprised by how much grazing I must have done, LOL!
Respect Moderation

Merry

Re: Apparently I eat all day!

Post by Merry » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:27 am

FarmerHal wrote:
Merry wrote: This is my MAJOR problem right here. I eat emotionally, or bored, or lonely. I also homeschool, and some days the stress level is quite high and I walk right into the kitchen to find something to calm myself down.

I'm needing to find an alternative! Ugh. :(
Hi fellow-homeschooler :-). How old are your kids? We're almost done--my oldest is a Freshman in college now (last final and paper tomorrow!), and my youngest is a high school junior. I think kids get squirrely when it's close to a big holiday. Sometimes it's just hard when the weather gets worse & they start to get cabin fever--hang in there!
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:22 pm

I called it punctuating the day, and I did it before and after every activity, unless I was very busy at work. I can't say I found a lot of terrific things to do instead. I guess a lot of them are "snacking with my time," as I think Noelfigart said on another thread. But I don't want to go back to snacking as the go-to. My mantra was "It's worth it to wait."

I did it when I felt lost, though I often didn't know what I felt. I still feel lost a lot. Yes, it is NOT as pleasant as food is, but the aftermath is better. Now I'm much more likely to feel better ANY time I can go 5 or more hours without eating, no matter what I do instead.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)