Return to No S, Habits, etc.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

nosman

Return to No S, Habits, etc.

Post by nosman » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:43 pm

Hello again to all. It has been quite a while since my last post here but I decided to check back in and discuss what's going on, in hopes that it will bring about further success for myself and maybe a few others here.

In previous posts I discussed my success with No S and Shovelglove, but exactly two years ago this week, I moved and changed jobs and my new circumstances forced a dietary change for a while. At that time, I made the conscious decision to move away from No S, as my new job made it more difficult to maintain the 3-meal-a-day schedule. Since then, my eating habits and weight have varied drastically. While I have managed to maintain a mostly acceptable number on the scale, I know I have been consuming far too many sweets and other less-than-healthy foods and my body composition has suffered for it.

So now, two years later, with the help of a simplified work schedule and daily routine, I have decided that it is time to return to No S. I began on Monday and have logged three successful days so far.

My decision was due in large part to my previous success with No S and my belief in the idea of making just one simple change at a time. Habit and habit-forming are popular topics here, so I thought I'd share some of the habits I've formed over the past few years, as these habits are what give me the confidence to start No S again.

- I run everyday, no exceptions. This started as a holiday running streak that began the week of Thanksgiving 2013 and I liked it so much I just kept running. At least one mile each day, and I try to do a longer run at least once a week.

- Some form of workout everyday, no exceptions. Even if I can't find 14 minutes for Shovelglove, even if it's just doing a few jumping jacks or holding a plank for a minute before bed, I make sure I do something every single day.

- My most recent habit is that I consume a green smoothie everyday. I am terrible at eating leafy greens so this ensures that I get a good serving of greens and fruit everyday. I've had a smoothie everyday for almost a month now and I like this one a lot. I understand, however, that there will come a day when I don't have a blender or frozen fruit handy. That's ok. The idea here is that I have a smoothie everyday that it's possible to do so. (The smoothie will also be a bit of a No S mod, as I have it any time of day.)

The habits above were established one a time, with clearly-defined 'rules' and expectations, and when I took at look at how simple they have been to maintain, it became clear to me that I was ready for No S again. I'll also note that running a mile and doing a few jumping jacks a day are admirable attempts at fitness, but in my experience, they don't help much if your other habits are a crappy diet and a six-pack of beer each night. It takes attention in all of these areas to see results, at least for me.

I apologize for the lengthy post but it's great to be back! Good luck to everyone and I hope to post again soon with results!

Thanks!

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:29 pm

Congratulations on establishing those healthy routines - sounds like you'll settle back into No S eating with no trouble at all!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

Giada

Post by Giada » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:38 am

Welcome back!

You can hold a plank for a minute? Wow! I'm impressed when I get to 30 secs.

nosman

Post by nosman » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:28 pm

Thanks!

Yeah, Giada, it took me a while to build up to a full minute but I can usually handle it now.

I just completed my first full week back on No S and it was a breeze. I know it isn't always so easy so I'm bracing myself for temptation, but for now it feels so good to be back. I'm also making sure I load up at mealtime for now, just until it becomes routine again.

I hope to post again soon with some solid numbers!

Thanks again, guys!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:26 pm

Welcome home, as I like to say.

Funny how feeling it's too hard to fit a three-meal/ one-plate structure in can also lead to eating more sweets, even though it would be perfectly possible to still limit them! Once snacking becomes more common, well...

My partner to the plank is the weekly 90-second wall sit. I'm surprised that even when I slack on it or the in-between moves I do, I can usually hold it. Bu I aspire to more.

Keep us informed!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

candiceena

Post by candiceena » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:14 am

hello and welcome back! i am new (as of september) to No S and haven't had a chance to post much but have been following losely since then although I've had some ups and downs.

your habits that you wrote out are *great* - I am so inspired, especially by your daily running habit. thank you for sharing. :) happy holidays!
~ Candice ~
Official No-S Re-Start Date: 3/6/16
Weight History: 176.8 (10/8/15), 175.7 (10/20/15), 181 (3/6/16 - restarted NoS after 6 months)

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:58 pm

Welcome back! I'm a recent returnee too!
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18