Question about 21 days of No S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

nosman

Question about 21 days of No S

Post by nosman » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:21 pm

I've noticed several people here discussing their successes and failures doing 21 consecutive days of No S. I'm curious whether during the 21 days these people actually take S days, or is it truly 21 straight of days of no snacks, no sweets, no seconds.

As noted in a recent post, I've been back on No S for a few weeks and I'm doing well, but I thought a 21-day challenge (or even a month with no S-days) might be a good way to begin the new year.

Any advice from those who've tried this or something similar would be greatly appreciated.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:27 pm

During the 21 days the idea is to try out the No S habit - so, yes, you have S days.

Mon-Friday - No snacks, no sweets, no seconds
Sat & Sun - S days
repeat each week until you've succeeded in doing 21 days.

You can start any day of the week!

I did 21 days when I started, then another 21 days - then just kept going!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

Merry

Re: Question about 21 days of No S

Post by Merry » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:57 am

jakemart wrote: As noted in a recent post, I've been back on No S for a few weeks and I'm doing well, but I thought a 21-day challenge (or even a month with no S-days) might be a good way to begin the new year.
I think if I did a month (or 21 days) with no S days, I'd rebel, LOL! The S days keep me on track for N days, and the N days often help me have better habits on S days (this past Sunday notwithstanding!) I think the goal of the 21 day challenge is to get the feeling of good, sustainable habits in place, and to build from there. 21 days without any S days might do the opposite and backfire.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:23 pm

S days are ALWAYS available on weekends. The whole point is to have release valves IN CASE the pressure becomes too great. Some people slide right into moderation on weekends; some don't. But week after week of N days is the backbone.

Welcome home!

The 21 days is because of some habit theory that says it takes 21 days to establish a new habit. Experience has shown that food changes take longer. But it's still a nice benchmark.

Keep up with us!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:26 am

oolala53 wrote:Experience has shown that food changes take longer. But it's still a nice benchmark.
Are you speaking of personal experience, or some kind of studies?

I'm now starting month 2 of NoS, and really find my giddyness over that first green and yellow calendar kinda funny--it's funny how such an easy, small tracking device is inspirational, LOL! But I have wondered when it will all feel more...second nature. When did that happen for you?
Respect Moderation

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:23 pm

Merry wrote:
oolala53 wrote:Experience has shown that food changes take longer. But it's still a nice benchmark.
But I have wondered when it will all feel more...second nature. When did that happen for you?
Some people really do click almost instantly. That's awesome when it does.

Sometimes people, in the rush of the newness, think they're clicking with it and it turns out that the test of time is something different.

Sometimes people struggle like crazy.

This is only ONE study, but it indicates that the time to establish a habit can vary widely.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3505409/
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:00 am

NoelFigart wrote:
Some people really do click almost instantly. That's awesome when it does.

Sometimes people, in the rush of the newness, think they're clicking with it and it turns out that the test of time is something different.

Sometimes people struggle like crazy.

This is only ONE study, but it indicates that the time to establish a habit can vary widely.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3505409/
Cool, thanks! Looks like within about 10 weeks there's a good chance a new habit will seem "normal." I could handle that. I think a lot of aspects seem "normal" now, but others don't yet...
Respect Moderation