Mason Jar Salads?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

Mason Jar Salads?

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:11 am

Possibly this should go under Intelligent Dietary Defaults, but this isn't really as easy or default as Optimized Oatmeal.

Mason Jar salads.

I do this sometimes if I know the week is going to be busy enough I'm not going to want to make bento.

You can prep these salads quite a bit in advance and they're good for several days. You make them in wide-mouthed quart sized mason jars. You can dump this on a plate. I've checked. It's No-S friendly!

The secret to them staying nice and fresh is in the layering. You want to put the dressing on the bottom. Then add veggies that are hard or are GREAT if they've soaked in dressing a while (tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, etc.) After that, add your protein, then add anything like bacon bits or nuts you want to add to it, and stuff the lettuce on top.

You can make 'em up Saturday or Sunday night, toss 'em in a bag when you head for work and they're good to go for the rest of the week.

My husband dumps his in a bowl when eats them. I just shake mine up and mix them in-jar. My method doesn't get as even an ingredient mix, i admit. But either method is fine. (His co-workers call this his terrarium lunch)

If I weren't fond of salad, I wouldn't love these suckers, and the last person to push "diet food" if you're trying to get out of diet mentality! But if you like salad, anyway, maybe give 'em a try.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:22 pm

I love jar salads - first came across them in Lindsay Dixon's book Happy Herbivore Light & Lean. It's such a simple idea, but, as you say, the salad stays really nice due to the dressing being on the bottom of the jar. SO much easier than packing salad in a box, with a separate dressing container etc.

Great link by the way - I've bookmarked that!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:36 am

These look yummy! We need more salad variety here...
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:10 pm

Just to show that a quart mason jar is portion-appropriate to No-S

Fits on a plate!
ImageImage[/img]
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Queenie

Post by Queenie » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:17 pm

Lovely and colorful!

Methinks I'd be hungry, though. Maybe it's piled higher than it seems in the middle there...

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:45 pm

I used a full-fat dressing and full fat cheese.

Don't get me wrong. I am still DAMNED hungry for dinner!
------