7-day Juice Challenge - anyone else done this with No S?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

RAWCOOKIE

7-day Juice Challenge - anyone else done this with No S?

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:09 pm

I've signed up for a 7-day Juice Challenge starting 11th January, and the plan suggests five eating events a day - breakfast, mid-morning, lunch, mid-afternoon, dinner.

Somehow, the idea of eating (albeit juice or smoothies) five times a day feels really wrong to me now. I don't WANT to eat five times a day and break my No S habit. I'm six months into this, been doing really well, and don't want to mess it up.

On the other hand, I DO want to do the juice challenge. If I only have three juices a day I am probably going to be hungry - which might (only 'might') lead to rebellion. Will it? Or will my No S behaviours transfer over to the juice challenge and I will be able to stick to the plan.

Has anyone else done any juice-feast type thing whilst No S-ing? Any suggestions/thoughts would be very welcome. I could, of course, treat it like a 'sick' week - and consider it as 'treatment' - which it is, in a way.

Help!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:37 pm

I guess I'm curious. Why do it?

I mean, don't get me wrong, if you look at my check ins, I totally have a smoothie with breakfast pretty frequently. But what are you getting out of it?
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:30 pm

I thought about doing it. Seriously almost signed up.

Juicing.... the juice is high fructose (sugar), which raises your blood sugar. Among other things, this also just makes you really hungry!

I have a juicer. I make a couple juices a week, but when I do, I can go about 45 minutes before my body says "I HAVE TO EAT!! I HAVE TO EAT RIGHT NOW!!!" I've come to believe that my body/brain is just very carbohydrate "sensitive" where it causes all kinds of havoc in my body.

I've decided against it.

What I am doing? NoS principles with Low Carb eating. Low carb- I guess it's a fad, but I"ve been having a lot of inflammation and digestion trouble, anxiety, heart palpitations, and I"m doing just so much better with a diet that is 80% meat/veg, and then small amount of fruit and nuts.

Good luck with your decision, and keep at the noS. it's really the most sane way of eating out there.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:10 am

I'm doing it because I want the energy - I want the great feeling that comes with it. I was a raw food vegan eater for a year and really felt great on it. I want the de-tox & renewal. It gives the system a rest and a chance to regenerate itself. The psychological and emotional benefits from it are very desirable too - I've been through a lot of changes lately and been feeling rather 'numb' - I suppose I want to re-sensitize myself.

I've decided to make it a 'yellow' week, so that I can have at least one other 'snack' during the day if I need it.

I'll post what I eat each day on my thread in case anyone's curious.

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:48 am

Hi Rawcookie,
I haven't done it, and I don't have a juicer, but have thought it would be fun if I did. (I also like the raw foodie idea of making crackers out of the leftover fiber, but the juicers are so expensive!)
Anyway, I wonder if you do the 5 consumption "events" as 3 heavy juices (or smoothies?) and 2 lighter or clearer juices, like carrot and celery or something. If it's really just juice, it doesn't count as a meal on NoS!
Just an idea.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:03 pm

I did things analogous to juicing before No S. Things did not end well. Fasting is not as hard as coming off fasting. I don't think I would ever again purposely eat such low calories for more than a few days again, unless I had a specific health goal. (I'm toying with some things now. I've never had cholesterol or blood pressure issues to motivate me.) When I started messing with meal timing on No S to try to up my hunger and get the between--meal feeling I had had and lost after 4 years, things went cattywompers for 18 months. But I didn't get the benefit I wanted, so that may have contributed.

Why not amend it to going raw food vegan, maybe on S days, since it sounds like that would still be different from what you're used to?

The only "fasting" regime I know much about now is out of USC. Theirs is for 4 days only and includes all macronutrients. They found it mimics total fasting for the same amount of time.

I think people who have a decent relationship with food can do these things with less fallout, especially if weight loss is NOT the focus.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:34 pm

hmm, let's be clear about this: I am NOT fasting or going on reduced calories. There is more juice, smoothies, soup than I can drink in a day - and I always have an emergency banana. I'm on Day 3 and really enjoying it!

Interestingly the latest 'plan' from Jason Vale (aka Juicemaster) is a 5:2 - but not quite as you know it - it's juices/smoothies for 2 days, healthy eating for 3 days, 2 days eating anything you like (aka S days!)

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:01 am

Ah, that sounds different. Smoothies are a lot more than juice. Glad you're having fun.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)