Science in Favor of S-Days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

Science in Favor of S-Days

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:33 pm

I'm reading a book call "The Willpower Instinct" (I think oolala took a class from the author and mentioned it in another thread) and this passage really jumped out at me:

"Because self-control also demands high levels of energy, some scientists speculate that chronic self-control— like chronic stress— can increase your chances of getting sick by diverting resources from the immune system. You heard it here first: Too much willpower can actually be bad for your health. You may be thinking: What about all that stuff in the first chapter about how important willpower is for health? Now you’re telling me self-control is going to make me sick? Well, maybe. Just like some stress is necessary for a happy and productive life, some self-control is needed. But just like living under chronic stress is unhealthy, trying to control every aspect of your thoughts, emotions, and behavior is a toxic strategy. It is too big a burden for your biology."

McGonigal Ph.D., Kelly (2011-12-29). The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do to Get More of It (p. 49). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

This is reinforcing (for me) that I need boundaries around the self-control thing and be conscious about when and where I spend those self-control "coins".

Part of this, I am going to admit, is setting up my life so I don't have to think or make decisions about certain things (Intelligent Dietary Defaults, anyone?)
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:46 am

I've had a cold since Christmas that just won't go away. Every time I think it's lightening up, it comes back again. I guess this is why, LOL!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:25 pm

I did mention her and was thinking of taking a 2-day class with her and 2 others, but it's pretty expensive. I actually bought her book after reading it from the library, and promptly never re-read it.

I think a fair amount of my success with No S has been because I have rather routine guidelines of the general makeup of my lunches and dinners (1/3-1/2 freggies and some other stuff), and it's a habit to keep the necessary foods around. I think that's what most traditional/slim cultures do. I have a set lunchtime at work (teacher), so there's not a lot of choice there, either. It's an asset. I also don't eat out that much, although I think at times I'd like to have more social reasons to do that, but it also saves me from a lot more thinking about my meals.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)