An interesting Artcile - Sugar Detox

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

An interesting Artcile - Sugar Detox

Post by Over43 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:40 pm

I found this on Yahoo.

http://news.yahoo.com/heres-happened-ga ... 40109.html

She makes a good point, sugar (more likely HFCS) is in everything.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:46 pm

Interesting.

While No-S doesn't require it, and I even think there are times that it's not the world's best idea, but I think that cooking from scratch can help with a lot of this.

I think if fruit is your biggest source of sugar, though, your problem isn't actually sugar consumption.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:56 am

Yeah, sugar is in things like ketchup, barbecue sauce, bread (even home-made typically)...and if they're going to get legalistic about natural sugars, you're cutting out milk, fruit...I really don't see the point.

Early in my husband's illness I bought into the idea that sugar (yeast issues) were the cause of all his problems, and we did do a diet that cut out all sugar. I made most of our sauces and salad dressings from scratch (and we also did an allergy-rotation diet--I organized my cabinets by what we could eat on each day so it was easy to open a cabinet and know those things went together). I made crackers from Quinoa (there wasn't so much available back then, and what you could buy premade cost an arm and a leg!) We did this for a year. I lost 40 pounds (frankly I didn't want to eat because it meant so much work--it's just like Reinhard says in the book). It didn't help my husband at all (he finally was diagnosed with Lyme disease), and when we stopped it, I hated cooking and meal-planning for years after that.

As I've been doing NoS and enjoying how much better I feel just from not overstuffing myself (I didn't realize how often I did that or how it affected me before!), I've actually had the thought that for most people, that reduction in sugar as well as overeating in general is probably enough to break sugar's hold and bring about better health. I know some people do have serious Candida issues and do need something as drastic as the article described--but I wonder how many would be helped by a simpler, more moderate approach.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:30 pm

As Reinhard says in the book, it's likely not the added sugars that are the BIG problem. Unless a person's reason to completely eliminate sugar is very high-and for most of us, it is NOT- it's adding an unnecessary burden to the process. This woman admitted she did it for rather casual reasons. (It's also a way that often leads to failure later. "OOooh, I lost this much weight doing x. If I force myself to be really strict, who knows how thin I can get?" Then failure and the pendulum swing.)

Despite the fact that it is probably true that most humans would benefit from never eating refined sugar or most other concentrated sweeteners, it's also true is that very few who live in a culture with access to them will live without them. That's just being honest. Then it becomes a question of harm reduction, which is the philosophy used in the most effective addiction treatment protocols.

When I started No S, I admit that I continued to practice my addiction/strong habit of compulsive eating sweets for a long time. I did not believe nor could I even STAND the idea that I HAD to give them up completely to control them. Some would say I prolonged the pain, but it was a price I was willing to pay. I may have already paid a price I didn't know I was paying in other areas besides weight, but I can't change that now. All I know is that compulsively overeating only one or two days a week was a huge improvement over most of the previous decades.

Now for other reasons I'm actually considering eliminating sweets completely and even some other foods and practices that are sanctioned on No S, though still not some added sugars, since I don't eat those much. That is also consistent with harm reduction strategies. As a person truly accepts other reasons to get more strict, it becomes more doable. It's very different. I will write about it on my thread soon.

In the meantime, I'm a proponent of just seeing where MOST people, not the outliers, would get with a year, or better two, of No S- and at least some willingness to decrease processed food AND to get legitimately hungry before meals, even though those aren't canon. THEN if individuals need more rigor, there's plenty more that can be done, and it will likely be much less painful. But I really believe we'd solve a huge percentage of the health problems just with Vanilla. That plus some good attacking of the body dysmorphia stuff would take care of a lot of the rest of the problems. A LOT of people would have to find other ways to make money, too. But that would be a lovely problem, IMHO. They probably wouldn't agree. Thus, the beat goes on.

BTW, is everyone else seeing ads below for a bunch of sugar detox books?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

CDee

Post by CDee » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:31 am

oolala53 wrote: BTW, is everyone else seeing ads below for a bunch of sugar detox books?
Yes.

I love everything you said. I think cutting back on sugar is much more doable than cutting it out completely. It isn't the demon people think it is...well maybe it isn't the worst demon. We just eat too much of it.
I believe I can do this!

Starting at a size 14 (Jan. 2016)
Current size is 14
Goal is a size 8

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:51 am

Thanks!

I meant to add that I believe anyone with a PRESENT health condition needs to put that ahead of any other concern no matter what day of the week it is. I pray for them that they have the strength and clarity to do that. Even though partial efforts may bring good results, the ante goes up with disease. What dessert, snack, or second helping is worth an increased risk of lost eyesight or a limb, or mental and physical decline from a stroke? Once someone has diabetes or CD, I'm pretty sure the odds change dramatically. May we all be either delivered from or empowered.
Last edited by oolala53 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:17 am

oolala53 wrote: BTW, is everyone else seeing ads below for a bunch of sugar detox books?
LOL, yes--3 different covers for "Sugar Detox for Beginners."

Why did they peg us as beginners? ha-ha!

I agree, disease is a totally different thing, not to be messed with.

I like Vanilla :-).
Respect Moderation

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:55 pm

Any diet that bans fruit because of the sugar content is far too kooky to be taken seriously, IMO.
"No S IS hard... It just turns out that everything else is harder." -oolala53

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:29 am

leafy_greens wrote:Any diet that bans fruit because of the sugar content is far too kooky to be taken seriously, IMO.
LOL, yes!
Respect Moderation

SugarFreebie

Post by SugarFreebie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:26 am

My attitude toward sugar comes from the perspective of at least 45 yrs of unstable blood sugars now expressing themselves as T2 diabetes. So, even my S-day Sweets are made w/ sugar substitutes and eaten in relatively small amounts b/c very much ordinary sugar at all (or white carbs like white bread or ordinary white rice) raise my blood sugar enough that I get very annoying symptoms that I don't want. If all of you can enjoy them without getting very thirsty or very tired or having your already burning nerves burn that much worse I actually envy you--have fun.
I am now in my 3rd week of No S and learned fast how best to handle the S days--one serving of my homemade Sweet and one Snack serving IF it's something I like (like one handful of hubby's favorite snack mix). My N days go well if I have enough protein and fiber for breakfast; if I don't I will have to fight cravings all day. I did overload my plate a bit at dinner tonight but I know not to eat that much in the future no matter how good the food is.
Onward and upward.
Peace out,
Mary S

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:31 am

I've tried to eliminate all sugar in the distant past - anti-candida diets etc etc. Now I appreciate the No S system which asks me to judge whether something is really a sweet or not!

I ate 'healthy' cookies on Saturday last week - and I felt pretty yukky the next day. I certainly do need something sweet occasionally and often have a handful of nuts and raisins as part of my lunch-box/dinner-box if I'm at work.

What I've found by doing No S is that sugar will take up a sort of nutritional space in my diet - and if I eat sugary things (on my S days of course!) then I don't have room for 'real' food!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Merry- your DH and his Lyme Disease- I also have/had it (17 yrs misdiagnosed, and now 20 years living with its effects). It can mess with you SO much. But I think eating certain foods increases the already inflamed body.

Sugar for me, at least in its processed form and in HFCS is definitely addicting and VERY hard to stop the habit.

I can feel it make me feel sick to my stomach and woozy when I do eat it, which I know is warning bells- keep this up much longer and I will be diabetic. No thanks!

Sugar in fruit- I don't worry about too much, however.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Red

Post by Red » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:22 am

[quote="leafy_greens"]Any diet that bans fruit because of the sugar content is far too kooky to be taken seriously, IMO.[/quote]

OMG.
Like. Every diet I was on. Argh.
Most didn't ban fruit outright - but it was SEVERELY restricted.

Today - I'll have a piece a meal or so - whatever takes my fancy. (AND fits on the plate. HA)
"...skid into heaven broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” " Thank you Hunter!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:00 am

I used to make a big deal about avoiding fruit and nuts because of the sugar and fat, then binge on brownie batter. The queen floating on the barge floating on DENIAL.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:12 pm

FarmerHal wrote:Merry- your DH and his Lyme Disease- I also have/had it (17 yrs misdiagnosed, and now 20 years living with its effects). It can mess with you SO much. But I think eating certain foods increases the already inflamed body.

Sugar for me, at least in its processed form and in HFCS is definitely addicting and VERY hard to stop the habit.

I can feel it make me feel sick to my stomach and woozy when I do eat it, which I know is warning bells- keep this up much longer and I will be diabetic. No thanks!

Sugar in fruit- I don't worry about too much, however.
Yeah, disease changes everything! My dh eats differently than I do and watches sugar much more carefully (he was on his way to T2 diabetes, but was able to reverse course with diet and exercise, and get his A1C down to 5.7). He does notice a difference with sugar and has to be very careful with it. And, there are a number of foods he either can't eat or can't be around the smell (he's much more affected by smells). But as far as full-blow diets like GF or anti-candida or allergy-rotation, they didn't seem to make any difference for him. I've read some with Lyme can't eat meat--that seemed to be common in the Southeast. I haven't read a lot of Lyme boards recently. Different strains seem to impact people in different ways, that's for sure!
Respect Moderation

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:50 pm

oolala53 wrote:I used to make a big deal about avoiding fruit and nuts because of the sugar and fat, then binge on brownie batter. The queen floating on the barge floating on DENIAL.
:twisted: :D
"No S IS hard... It just turns out that everything else is harder." -oolala53