Newbie Experiencing Insomnia

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Delea

Newbie Experiencing Insomnia

Post by Delea » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:17 pm

Hi Folks,

I just started following the No-S way of eating on Sunday, and have had insomnia each night since (which is unusual for me). I used to do a lot of snacking at night, so going to bed hungry is a new thing for me. On Monday, I ate a large supper at 5:30 p.m. and went to bed at midnight, so was very hungry before bed. Last night, I was able to wait until 7:00 p.m. to have another large supper, but was still hungry when I went to bed at 11:30 p.m. Have others experienced insomnia when first starting this program? If so, what did you do to fix the problem? I know I should be going to bed earlier, but both my husband and I are night owls, so not sure how realistic this is.

For various reasons, I really wanted to get adjusted to eating just three meals a day. However, maybe I need to divide my supper into two portions and eat one around 5:30 and another around 9:30. Has this worked for others? I could also try having a small snack about a half an hour before bed, but very much want to get out of the night snacking habit.

If I choose to just eat my supper as normal and not eat again until the next morning, will this intense bed-time hunger gradually go away as my body adjusts to this pattern of eating?

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:10 pm

Yes, the evening hunger goes away.

I eat dinner at 6pm and I eat breakfast around seven after a pretty hard-core workout. I have tea or maybe a glass of wine in the evenings, but other than that, I don't have anything.

At first, I was very hungry.

Some tips:

When you start No-S, YES, you want to start with meals that may feel pretty large when you're used to tiny meals and lots of snacking. You can adjust later, but eat a big dinner.

Even now, my dinner is reasonably substantial (call it ~700-800 calories).

It's what works for me.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Delea

Post by Delea » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:52 am

Thanks for the tips, Noel. It's great to hear from an experienced No-Esser! When I started this journey, I fully expected to struggle with between-meals hunger (which is getting a bit better already). However, the insomnia was an unwelcome surprise that I would like remedy as soon as possible. I just finished eating a hearty supper, so hopefully won't be "starving" at bedtime again tonight. If so, I may eat half a tuna sandwich or something and see if that helps me get to sleep. Wish me luck!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:01 pm

Just wanted to report that I don't get hungry before bed after dinner no matter what time I eat dinner- well, as long as it's after 5 p.m. and it's a real dinner, not just salad. In fact, I never got legitimately hungry even in the beginning. But the HABIT of eating often made me think I was hungry. Ignore hunger illusions!

I may still sometimes get that antsy feeling to eat, but I don't call that hunger anymore. And I sometimes have a decaf mocha or hot vanilla milk a couple of hours after dinner.
Last edited by oolala53 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Post by Merry » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:34 am

oolala53 wrote:Just wanted to report that I don't get hungry before bed after dinner no matter what time I eat dinner- well, as long as it's after 5 p.m. and it's a real dinner, not just salad. In fact, I never got legitimately hungry even in the beginning. But the HABIT of eating often made me think I was hungry. Ignore hunger illusions!

I may still sometimes get that anty feeling to eat, but I don't call that hunger anymore.
Yes! I did a lot of nighttime munching that was unnecessary. I often still have that feeling but most of the time for me it's not really hunger. I've not had it keep me up--I think I'd try a later dinner if it did, and see if that helped.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation