Temptations at the office

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

losingforgood

Temptations at the office

Post by losingforgood » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:39 am

I have good news! I will be starting a new job on March 7th, which means I will be giving up my house cleaning business and trading it for an office job! That said, No S is very very do able when I have my own schedule and lots of control over the food that I'm exposed to. Now that I will be working for an employer again, I KNOW that there will likely be many occasions when people will be bringing in treats. And since this is No S, I'm not allowing myself snacks on N days, even healthy ones. So, how do you all handle the office temptations? I'd like to start my first week with some strategies in place :)
I Corinthians 10:13-14; "No temptation has ceased you except what is common to man..."

Merry

Re: Temptations at the office

Post by Merry » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:18 am

Not an office strategy, but my party strategy is to have a water, tea, or coffee in hand--then I don't miss eating the sweets so much! Sometimes it's just keeping the hands busy...
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:46 pm

People bring in "treats" and just leave them on a table where I spend the bulk of my time. Very frustrating. Honestly, I just had to white-knuckle-it until my "habit" was to not eat as opposed to eat mindlessly. Occasionally, I would outright say, "put that away, I don't want to eat it." It was always taken in good form but I only used it very, very occasionally (when I was desperate) as I recognize that what I put in my mouth is my responsibility not theirs.

Good luck to you in your new job. Maybe you'll be lucky and you will work with uber-healthy people who don't snack :wink:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:18 pm

Simplest: if you use Habitcal, practice a bit beforehand visualizing being able to mark a green day and not having to mark a red. When you see the extra food, think "Habitcal!" and a red mark. To yourself, "THIS is a moment I can choose green."

If you need more: Plan the most delicious breakfasts, lunches, and dinners you can for a few days at least. Perhaps allow for some little extra special things, esp at lunch. Then each day keep in mind how great your last meal was and how much you want to save your appetite for the fantastic meal coming up. When you do eat, really savor your food, and revel in how good it tastes because you waited to eat.

Do you best NOT to talk about No S or saying things like "I can't eat that now." Don't tell anyone the rules. They will try to talk you out of them and likely be on the lookout to do it other times. If anyone is pushing food, I first said (I say first because by now my colleagues do know about No S) "Not, thanks." If that didn't work: "I wish I was hungry" or "I don't want to ruin my appetite."

If some snack looks especially good, take a bit of it and add it to your lunch. Feel free not to finish everything at lunch.

It may seem hard, but not as hard as being the slave of food just because it's there.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

ceo418

Post by ceo418 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:16 pm

If someone in my department brings treats in, I will go and have a look at them. Often I'll find a cookie or brownie to take and put it in a bag to save for the weekend. Otherwise, I'm able to walk away. There are a few times a year when I'm the one bringing treats in and whatever people don't take I bring home myself to freeze for a future treat, or if there's only a bit left I'll leave it out and eventually it's all eaten.

losingforgood

Temptations at the Office

Post by losingforgood » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:38 pm

I love these ideas! I like being able to say I'm not hungry right now, or finding something I REALLY want and saving it for the weekend. It does help that my meals satisfy me enough that hunger is rarely the issue when tempted to snack. It's usually the mental craving only. Now I have a few tools in my bag. As for hoping I have an office of people who don't like to snack, i that's almost like saying fish don't like to swim! Especally with the new nutritional advice about healthy snacking. Still, even with this temptaiton, I'd still rather do No S than any of the other ways of eating...it is much easier in my opinion.
I Corinthians 10:13-14; "No temptation has ceased you except what is common to man..."

Saramelie

Post by Saramelie » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:02 am

I found that learning to simply say "no thanks" works best. No excuses, no sorrys, no explanations needed. We, as women, often feel like we owe explanations for everything. We don't. "NO is a complete answer". If you are friendly but firm, people will get that you can't be influenced easily and should leave it alone.
It can be done, one plate at a time!

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:09 pm

I work in an office and warding off sweets and snacks is practically an every day thing. I've come to the point where I absolutely say no to everything. Doesn't sound like fun, but if I were to partake then it would make my N day red. Most of the time there's a candy dish on a corner, or leftover cake in the break room. I often help others convince themselves against it, saying that you don't want to eat that... you don't know where it came from. I usually say I'm ok, thanks... if I get offered anything. Or, I will accept it and say I'll have it later and give it away.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:54 pm

Saramelie wrote:I found that learning to simply say "no thanks" works best. No excuses, no sorrys, no explanations needed. We, as women, often feel like we owe explanations for everything. We don't. "NO is a complete answer". If you are friendly but firm, people will get that you can't be influenced easily and should leave it alone.
I agree with this! Also, listen to Reinhard's podcast about Strictness. Build a fence around the law.

Another strategy that I liked when starting was to go to Habitcal in the morning and mark my day as a success. Because let me tell you, it really sucks to have to log back into Habitcal and turn your green day red.

Excessive eating and snacking is not "normal" behavior. No S is normal! :)

Red

Donut Fridays....? Ugh!

Post by Red » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:28 pm

While strictly dieting (before No S), I would have to walk around the perimeter of my building (no jokes about exercise please, I'm grumbling all the way)... to avoid the Friday donut buffet of sweets.

On my first week of No S, I took 2 home, and ate them on my first S day.

This was completely awesome. I don't intend to do this every time, but I felt completely in control, and yet was able to partake in one of my favorite sweets. Loved it.

Like others, I may gain weight in Phase 1 (I dunno - I stashed my scale away until clothes start feeling looser)... but I feel calmer about it all than in all my prior dieting years.
"...skid into heaven broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” " Thank you Hunter!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:02 pm

French crullers used to be my favorites. They hardly ever show up at work events. Oh, well.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Elizabeth 7

Post by Elizabeth 7 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:43 am

My strategy is that I have one S day on the weekend, and one during the week. Then office treats are not nearly so tempting to me on all the other work days since I know that I can choose ONE day of the week to have them, if it's what I really want. If I don't, I can definitely find an attractive S somewhere else on the weekday I've chosen. :) I should note that I allow 2 S's on S days and also that while treats are sometimes brought into the office, they are often not things I find I really want to spend my S's on. If the issue is politeness and you have determined it's not an S that's worth it to you, you can always take it to show you are participating; no one says you have to eat it, and you could save it for later if you want. (Again, depending on the situation and how you feel as a new employee, and what you determine would or would not be a slippery slope for you.)

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:00 am

ceo418 wrote:If someone in my department brings treats in, I will go and have a look at them. Often I'll find a cookie or brownie to take and put it in a bag to save for the weekend. Otherwise, I'm able to walk away.
Yup, this is how I deal with them these days - it's easy if you decide. Good luck!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:59 pm

When someone brings something in, I take one and save it for the weekend. I usually don't want it by then anyway :(
"No S IS hard... It just turns out that everything else is harder." -oolala53

joasia

Post by joasia » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:08 pm

the office is always a pit for me. I'm stressed out at work to begin with and then at every meeting there is junk presented to devour. Not to mention cake at every birthday, anniversary, wedding, baby, etc. Not to mention end of the month and holiday potlucks. etc. etc. sometimes I win, and sometimes I lose. and that has not changed in the 14 years I have worked here
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:12 am

A woman who ended up writing a book about the power of making small changes said the first change she made, not really thinking it was going to lead to so many other things, was vowing not to eat any of the snack food offered between meals at the office. When it gets really clear how little real pleasure and satisfaction there is in eating it, it gets easier! But that dang neural pattern will try to convince you otherwise. It is NOT interested in your pleasure!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:12 am

My office is small and all my friends bring treats a LOT! The tricks I use are below.

If it is an event (morning tea for Joe's birthday), I go along, grab a coffee or other hot drink, say hi and happy birthday and ask all about their party / dinner / presents. Often no one will even notice I didn't eat.

I second the idea of just saying "no thank you". As soon as you make an excuse about lack of hunger or dieting, you open the door for someone to argue with you or give you a piece "for later". If pressed, I usually say something polite but neutral like "it looks great, but no thanks".

If the treat is savoury, and looks great, I may take one if it fits on my lunch plate and enjoy it with my meal. If the treat is sweet and looks amazeballs then I may take a piece and freeze for an S day. Usually only if the treat is unique / homemade.

Finally, remember that most work snacks are just not that great. Things that are stale from sitting out in bowls, things people got cheap at the shops, things you've tasted a million times, meeting leftovers. Be picky with your S's.