Are you a food snob?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

CDee

Are you a food snob?

Post by CDee » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:23 pm

Just for fun...

Will you only eat certain types/brands of some foods?

My husband and I like thick-cut bacon. We would rather not eat it at all than eat the thin kind.

My husband has become a fan of Talenti gelatto. He will not touch any other type of icecream.
I believe I can do this!

Starting at a size 14 (Jan. 2016)
Current size is 14
Goal is a size 8

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:31 pm

I don't consider myself to be a purist, but I am more likely as time goes on to stick to some preferences. I consider it to be like an immigrant who still likes some foods from the homeland better. As I get older, they get "healthier." But it's because the alternatives just seem to have less payoff.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Rikki

Post by Rikki » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:59 am

In a similar sense you're talking about, I find myself taking my food choices a bit more seriously. If my meals are confined to 3 times a day and my S's to two days a week, I want them to count and feel special. This perhaps has generated some unexpected "food snobbery" and made me put more effort in how I prepare/choose food :-)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:15 am

Huge food snob here. So are my kids. They will not eat fast food. What makes me crazy is the kids that come over and won't eat anything the slightest bit interesting or adventurous. Blah, makes me cray cray!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:44 pm

I could be if I had the money.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:20 am

My husband and I are food snobs on some fronts - icecream, chocolate, etc, just don't bother if you've got the cheap rubbish. I think this has been a side effect of No S, if I'm only eating an icecream once every few weeks on an S day, it better be AMAZING!

Also bread. I make my own bread now, and I'm becoming more and more picky about commercial breads.

On most other stuff, I can't really afford to be too snobby at the moment with no income until I get back from maternity leave.

Linda - I've got one of those kids who drives you nuts with my eldest. It doesn't seem to matter how he's introduced to things, or what we eat in front of him, he just likes what he likes. He's essentially vegetarian. He'll chew one mouthful of meat or fish for a while, then spit it out. He goes through phases where he'll stop eating something he has previously liked, then comes back to it again. He's slowly growing out of it, but our eating has become a bit boring over the past year as we attempt to have family meals that will include things he'll eat. Still, it's probably good for us to eat less meat :)

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:51 pm

I am because I "react" to so may foods.

My "reactions" most closely fit with having Histamine Intolerance (HIT). I think that having Lyme for all those years is what brought it on. My doctors think I'm crazy, pretty much, so I have tried to follow a low histamine way of eating, and it really helps this- whatever it is that my body struggles with.

Costco meat/chicken
Sweet potatoes, potatoes, squashes, veggies, melon and raspberries are about all I tolerate.

My symptoms are: itching ITCHING! Like bugs. Bloating/swelling of arms, face, legs and feet, sometimes they are so swollen they don't even look like feet.

I was gluten free for a long time, but I find now that I tolerate wheat a lot better than most of the "gluten free" flours, especially those made from nuts, like almond meal.

Good times.

Oh, was delighted to find out I can eat nitrite free bacon from Hormel! That was a treat. Usually bacon will make me swell immediately after eating it, very painfully swollen feet and legs, it's hard to bend them.

I've seen doctors for this many times and they all end up scratching their heads or tell me "don't eat so much salt" (I DONT! I prefer my food quite bland).
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Holocene

Post by Holocene » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:53 pm

If it tastes good I eat it. Could be a mosquito burger, McDonald's or something from a 5 star restaurant.

I'm probably a food snob but in the opposite way to most. I prefer basic, peasant like food... Stews with cheap fatty cuts of meat, bread etc etc and "look down my nose"'at those who will only eat top brand and organic. Haha.
deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Red

Post by Red » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:18 am

Interestingly... only with certain things... like chocolate, ice cream, bread, fresh vegetables, jelly, fresh fruit, butter, cream, meat,... coffee..., won't eat frozen or canned anything pretty much. OK. I'm a food snob. <sigh>
"...skid into heaven broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” " Thank you Hunter!

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:22 pm

I love this thread! I am a food snob in some ways. I won't eat store bought birthday cake. I don't do fast food hardly ever - I want to be waited on and experience food that isn't from a restaurant chain. I don't eat store bought cookies, they must be homemade. I am now interested in the process of the food, I don't just want to open a package and eat, I want to know how, what, when, why, etc. I love talking to good cooks.

Well, look at me. I'm from the sticks in MN and No S has inadvertently turned me into a food snob. haha! When eating times/quantities are limited, every bite matters.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:37 pm

Oh sorry iron! Hope I didn't insult you. Some kids are just like that and will probably grow out of it at some point. This is clearly not any fault of you as parents because I know you eat well!

The kids that drive me crazy are really the parents driving me crazy. They don't cook at home or try interesting restaurants. I've actually had a parent send mac & cheese with their child because not only was that all the child would eat but that's the only brand she'd eat. Argh!

I may have adventurous/healthy eaters but my kids have plenty of other annoying behaviors so yeah I'm not judging just find it frustrating sometimes.

Btw, my oldest daughter is a vegetarian and we all eat a mostly vegan meals these days so nothing wrong with that. :)
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160