It is crunch time ...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mustloseweight

It is crunch time ...

Post by Mustloseweight » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:45 am

Here I am, bigger than EVER! It is either Slimfast or three meals a day and limited S days with lots of exercise like say No S and 30 Day Shred. I now top the scales at 17 stones and eight pounds which in pounds is (17x14) + 8.
I suspect my bipolar medication has increased my appetite but I feel doomed to be like this forever. Are any of the 2016 new starters actually losing weight? Ignore the signature - it is wishful thinking!
September 2017 - Starting weight: 19st 9lbs
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟
Target Weight: 11 stones

Merry

Re: It is crunch time ...

Post by Merry » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:22 am

mustloseweight wrote:Here I am, bigger than EVER! It is either Slimfast or three meals a day and limited S days with lots of exercise like say No S and 30 Day Shred. I now top the scales at 17 stones and eight pounds which in pounds is (17x14) + 8.
I suspect my bipolar medication has increased my appetite but I feel doomed to be like this forever. Are any of the 2016 new starters actually losing weight? Ignore the signature - it is wishful thinking!
I started November 30th of 2015, and yes, I'm losing weight. I'm down 11 lbs. It may not be "fast" or "flashy," but I love it for many reasons!

1-I'm no longer gaining (I was slowly putting on a pound or two every few months, so instead of losing 11, I likely would have gained 2 or 3 for a net 13-14 lbs. more than I weigh now if I hadn't started NoS! Maybe more, considering that I lost weight over Christmas and through both of my children's birthdays--and yes, I had cake and ice cream and pizza with them...)

2-This feels sustainable long-term. I don't feel like I'm deeply depriving myself, I'm not "starving," I'm not creating a routine that I know I'll never be able to keep up with (crazy exercises, counting calories or other aspects of food, etc...) It's reasonable and doable.

3-I feel like I'm gaining control. On "normal" (N) days, while sweets, snacks or seconds might sound good, I don't feel they are irresistible. On S days, I can still go a bit crazy sometimes--but I'm also having some S days where I don't go as crazy as I used to--I'm not thinking "free for all!" as much. Sometimes I do, but sometimes I'm starting to think--"free for alls leave me feeling kinda sick, and that doesn't sound like as much fun, maybe I've had enough for now."

4-along with that--I pay more attention to my body now, but in a good way. I realize that I feel better when I'm not stuffed/bloated, but when I'm just comfortably full.

All this, and I really like putting a green square up in that habitcal, LOL!

Anyway...You can do this! I thought about slimfast too, but I thought--I'm not going to drink that stuff forever, and then what happens? I gain it back when I stop? (Or, more likely for me--I gain it back with interest?) Plus it's all manufactured who-knows-what. With NoS I enjoy REAL food, whatever kind I want, but I'm learning moderation because there are clear but very easy to follow boundaries. I can go with my husband or friend out to eat. I can go to someone's house. I can eat 3 meals a day with an occasional special day for the rest of my life.

Losing weight is one thing--but losing and keeping it off is another. Think through how you will not only lose, but make the life changes we all need to make to keep off the weight. I figure, I didn't get this way overnight--I'm not going to lose it all overnight either. It's going to take time. But that's okay.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:58 pm

mustloseweight, did you ever have a period of being No S-compliant? I know your name, but don't remember the particulars.

Your "appetite" is often a liar, especially if the desire is for manufactured foods outside your meals. Who cares what liar says? It will even make you think you will somehow hurt yourself if you don't give in. If that's not irony, I don't know what is. The stronger the urge for almost ANY extra food, when your plates are reasonable, the MORE likely you don't need it. Sure, you can throw it a bone a few times on S days, even though you KNOW it will likely get nasty about wanting more, but resolve not to negotiate with a terrorist, especially one with toy guns! It might take more repeats of the lesson than you'd like, but what's the alternative?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Mustloseweight

Post by Mustloseweight » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:44 pm

Oolala I have been No S compliant for about three months at one time, I think I lost about a stone in that three months. I think I got impatient wanting to lose weight faster if my memory serves me right!
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟

Mustloseweight

Post by Mustloseweight » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:00 pm

Thanks Merry for your most considered reply. You have convinced me to be strict with No S as well as exercise for that 14 minutes. Well done on your own weight loss and No S compliance, keep going x
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:16 pm

MLW, that story oft gets repeated! I suggested a thread specifically for returnees who are back after leaving because they weren't losing fast enough. Thank you, diet industry, for all the promises of quick, painless, loss.

I warmly wish for you that you quickly find the pace that supports you, and that if you really MUST lose, you get released from the spell of the unneeded extras soon soon soon.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Sarah-lara

Post by Sarah-lara » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:15 am

Well, I haven't lost yet, but I can't blame No-S for my failure to adhere to it for only the 8 days straight I did. I got so derailed by the first real S day that I'm not sure how I want to proceed. I've had some fits and starts since then, but not another good spurt yet.

My doctor and I decided I should go off the migraine medication this week. I am definitely feeling the headaches more now, but maybe I'll be better able to control my appetite. Even though I can't blame the medicine for all my overeating problems, my weight had stayed about the same for 5-6 years until I started it, so I know it's responsible for the rapid gain that happened as soon as I started it.

That said, exercise and I are becoming besties again, and I'm feeling very positive about that (today was about 20K steps and I barely noticed all that activity). On a wild hare, I even bought a bike this week, though I've never ridden one (eek, scary). My dad was in charge of teaching us kids and by the time I, the last one, came around he'd thoroughly lost patience. I decided bad memories of how grumpy he was shouldn't stop me from learning on my own decades later. Or, at least, that is the plan! Whitney Way Thore on My Big Fat Fabulous Life got a bike last season and I thought, "that looks fun." Hopefully it IS.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:57 am

Sarah, it isn't common for people to have tame S days right off the bat, though some do. If you went bonkers, it isn't a sign that it isn't working, either. It's just too early to tell.

I felt I had time to let weaning coax me off wild S days. Weight loss wasn't the prime mover for me, even though I was in the low obese range. It took longer than I wanted to be able to get consistently reasonable on S days. In the meantime, N days made life so much better, I felt I could keep going. My blood pressure was good, cholesterol good, triglycerides, good, etc. If they hadn't been, I would have cut way back on some foods a lot faster. But I felt I could "get away" with the slower approach. I won't likely find out for another five to ten years of I was right in some areas, but I did the best I could at the time, lost weight most years, and am making more changes now.

If a person is honest about the motivation and the toll the old habits are taking, the struggle weakens. AND if someone really believes this is her best bet. Doesn't make it easy; just easier. For most of us, that's all we can hope for.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Mustloseweight

Post by Mustloseweight » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:10 pm

Oolala, I have had my first ever set of bloods back showing my cholesterol and triglycerides are way too high which at age 41 freaks me out. Something in me wants to do a structured plan that is proven to result in moderate speed weight loss as opposed to rapid weight loss. However, I can NEVER stick to these programmes at all.

As for wild S days, when I lost my stone on No S a while back I did not allow myself anymore than one treat on a Sunday, normally apple pie and custard after our Sunday roast dinner, then S days were birthdays, mine, hubby and daughter, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

When looking back I think I am at my most idle and think that is responsible for the last stone I have put on over the last twelve months.

I have to do something as I now have acid reflux each night when laying down which is FOUL. I need someone to give me a proverbial kick up the backside.

I am going to join you all on Facebook.

Anne
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:32 pm

I agree: you have to keep your issues front and center. I'm going to write to you separately.

I don't mean to denigrate the Facebook group, but most of the people there are not long timers. There is not a lot of overlap between here and there. I participate some times and Reinhard does, too, but I don't think there is anyone else there who has been compliant on No S for more than a few months. Even if I'm wrong and there is, it's far fewer than here. Why not keep up with both groups?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:06 am

mustloseweight wrote: I have to do something as I now have acid reflux each night when laying down which is FOUL. I need someone to give me a proverbial kick up the backside.
Not a kick, but a friendly nudge :-). I used to get reflux a lot, and also had a lot of pre-ulcer pain/duodenitis, and it's markedly better (starting about a month after I was on NoS). Not getting overstuffed all the time has really helped. There are certain things I need to have in moderation or they bother me, but it's been a big difference for me.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:57 pm

Hey mustloseweight! My sister has bipolar but she is off meds and she's eating a lot, she seems to have an endless appetite and her weight is going up and up. She recently got a fitbit and is trying to change her eating habits. She does not exercise, but maybe that will change in time. Apparently it is very difficult whether you are on meds or not to fight the pounds off, so if you can instill a plan like No S and added exercise, you are at least putting your health first. Good luck to you!
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:58 pm

I just saw a video about reflux yesterday, and this guy named Dr. Eric Berg suggests 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar before a meal to help with reflux. Just thought I'd throw it out there since it was fresh in my mind.

And I agree with Oolala53 about the Facebook page. My thoughts are that it seems like the experience is lacking and the wisdom of this forum hasn't quite made it to the Facebook group.