Habits or weight loss!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lib-erated

Habits or weight loss!

Post by Lib-erated » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:27 am

Ok, so I am still absolutley loving the freedom that No S has given me from constantly obsessing over food.

At the moment I am having another battle with myself, should I just be focusing on the habit, having 3 really lovely delicious meals a day or should I still be focusing on weight loss and considering the amount of calories etc in the food I eat.

I am guessing this is just the old diet mentality and I hoping eventually this will disappear altogether but just wondering what everyone else focuses on. Do you just concentrate on the habits of only eating 3 meals a day or do you always focus on weight loss and is this a factor when deciding what to have for those 3 Meals??

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:15 am

It varies for me, and has over the years.
But the conventional wisdom is to get the NoS habits down really well and THEN worry about changing/monitoring what is on your plates.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:19 am

I mostly focus on the habits, and I don't count calories any more. I guess I try to just be sensible. I'm not going to turn down a high calorie meal just because I know it's high calorie. But I'm also not going to make a habit of eating tons of high calorie meals day after day, kwim? I suppose if I hadn't lost anything at all for a couple of months, I would recognize that I needed to take a closer look at the kinds of habits I was establishing etc... But I didn't feel a need to start there, if that makes sense.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Lib-erated

Post by Lib-erated » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:43 am

Thank you very much for the replies.

I guess I need to take it a day at a time and some days I will make better choices than others.

Sometimes I feel guilty for having a bagel and peanut butter for breakfast because diet head tells me I shouldnt be having this but then it keeps me full right up until lunch time so surely thats better than having something less substantial and snacking all the way through to lunch :-)

SugarFreebie

Post by SugarFreebie » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:18 pm

My situation is a little different, seeing as I am applying No S to managing my T2 diabetes so my food choices are VERY important. I am at home now; the last 10 yrs I worked I did 12-hr nights (and barely lived to tell the tale) so no having to get up early for work and eat breakfast quickly.
I have my favorite big brunch every day at about noon; dinner at about 6 (hub's fixation to have it then--he's been disabled for a long time so it's not an after-work thing), then maybe lentil soup at about 10. If I have too many/too fast carbs for either dinner or that 10 pm meal they will show up as an elevated fasting blood sugar the next day. Getting busy w/ hand sewing or other needlework helps to prevent the evening/night munching that used to be my downfall--almost 4 weeks of No S has been the end of my bingeing after many, many years. Now, to just lose the second 50 lbs....
Peace out,
Mary S

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:52 pm

Agreed - focus on habits, as long as you don't have health issues that require you to watch carbs, etc. I focused on habits initially and had very FUN S days. I didn't gain weight. I think it's almost impossible to gain weight on No S. Sure you might maintain, but that in itself is a victory.

Once the habit is down and your body knows you aren't going to pull any extreme restriction on it, it's easier to focus on making adjustments to WHAT is on the plate.

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:14 pm

Definitely focus on having 3 enjoyable meals! I've slowly found myself eating less rich food overall, not because I "should", but because I don't like the overstuffed feeling I now get with some (formerly) favorite meals. I still eat them, but it takes much less to satisfy and I spread them out through the month. :)
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

mrwhy

Re: Habits or weight loss!

Post by mrwhy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:42 am

Lib-erated wrote:Ok, so I am still absolutley loving the freedom that No S has given me from constantly obsessing over food.

At the moment I am having another battle with myself, should I just be focusing on the habit, having 3 really lovely delicious meals a day or should I still be focusing on weight loss and considering the amount of calories etc in the food I eat.

I am guessing this is just the old diet mentality and I hoping eventually this will disappear altogether but just wondering what everyone else focuses on. Do you just concentrate on the habits of only eating 3 meals a day or do you always focus on weight loss and is this a factor when deciding what to have for those 3 Meals??
Hello -

In the book, Mr. Engels made a point that has transformed my way of thinking....our weight is a product of what we do. But we spend so much time focusing on it...instead of focusing on the behaviors that cause the weight....

Are you happy where you are at with your weight...with your food choices...with all that? I sure wasn't. I was sick about thinking about what I weigh...what I eat....all of it.

So I stopped. Now all I focus on is eating three singles serving meals Monday through Friday. I focus on making sure I exercise for 14 minutes every single day I can. I keep the glass ceiling of two drinks.

And that is it.

Because what else is there?

I am done. I don't weigh myself. Why am I going to judge my life and let my happiness be determined by a number on scale? Down three digits and I am happy! Up three digits and I am a failure.

No more.

I look in the mirror and try to see good things.

I look for my clothes to fit a little better.

Focus on the habits. Eat three single serving meals a day Mon - Fri. No snacks. Try to walk and move.

Don't worry about the effect. Worry about the causes of the effect.

That is my two cents.