What to do about Unbelievable Hunger!?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Red

What to do about Unbelievable Hunger!?

Post by Red » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:58 am

Well today sucked. I usually can manage hunger between meals, but for whatever reason - I couldn't today.

Lunch was 11:30, I learned later that Dinner wasn't going to happen until around 7 (commute from hades, among other reasons.)

I started climbing the walls around 3, and at 4:30 gave in, started with a paleo nut bar, and it crescendoed into other not-so-good-for-you snack items, I probably put away at least 700 calories. The book said try milk, but milk wasn't anywhere near me, so that was a no-go.

I still ate dinner, quite lightened after the food implosion after 4.

Anybody have any suggestions for this kind of unplanned storm?

I know that tomorrow, I will get up and start over, and I will do fine. But I sure would like some kind of plan to protect myself from this kind of tornado effect in the future.

Ideas or suggestions would be really appreciated!!!
"...skid into heaven broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” " Thank you Hunter!

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:52 pm

I would be MISERABLE if I expected myself to go from 11:30 until 7:00 & eventually get desperate & HAVE to eat too. I think that is too much time in between meals unless it's overnight & you are asleep (: I change my meal times so that it works with 3 meals. My MAX is 5 1/2 hours. Can you time your meals a little differently? My normal is 10:00, 3:00, 8:00 give or take depending on what is going on.

Red

Post by Red » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:03 pm

Thanks Jen - and NO Kidding!!!

This was an aberration - usually lunch is at 11:30 and dinner around 7... I can live with that - if I get a milk or veggie juice around 3ish.

But yesterday was a bit of a white storm - all things happening all at once... and I was at my lowest.

On normal days - I leave my house at 6:30 - and don't often get home until 6:30... it's a LONG commute.

I like your hours - and I am willing to sacrifice my lovely quiet breakfast - if I can just live through the wild days without that kind of hormonal nutsi-ness.

Thanks for the suggestion!
"...skid into heaven broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” " Thank you Hunter!

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:22 pm

Sorry to hear you had a tough day. My suggestion would be to just mark that day as an uncommon occurrence and go on with your week. It's not something that happens daily for you, and you said it was a white storm. Sometimes when we are hungry we just need to eat, even if it isn't quite "time" yet. I believe that when someone feels intense physical hunger the healthy thing to do is eat something. Would waiting it out and being completely miserable be the healthy thing to do? It doesn't sound that way to me. No S isn't about being perfect and every day will be different. It's about building a habit so that three meals are the norm, but not looked down upon if one day you need a bit more. It's ok! I bet that if you had truly allowed yourself to eat a snack guilt free yesterday at 4:30, it wouldn't have been a food blowout. Strive for three meals and I'm sure most days will be fine, but if the freak occurrence happens where you need something in the afternoon during a 7.5!! hour stretch, allow the food.

Red

Post by Red » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:20 pm

Thank you Kittson.

It is easy to get caught up in the rules, and you pointed that out very beautifully. Big plans with over arching rules, lead to a let down.

That's one of the reasons why I liked this program. You made such realistic sense, batting oneself around the head seems silly now.

Thank you. :roll: :wink:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:22 pm

What happened here was just WTH. Classic. Once you broke a rule, it kicked in and you likely felt if you had failed, might as well go big.

I would say that until you get more settled in the habits, in such a situation, if you feel it's really too much, accept that you want to break a rule, and have a reasonable snack. Don't think of all being lost. You will still be working towards moderation. You could also put the snack on a plate and virtual plate the rest of the meal, when the time comes.

But don't be too hard on yourself.

Honestly, after awhile, even such a long gap will be possible at times without too much fallout. The hardest thing is finding ways to distract yourself. It's amazing how long we can go if the interim is compelling. But that is a tough time of day for many.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Red

Post by Red » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:18 pm

It was a kind of frantic feeding, I don't like that feeling - out of control.

Yes, you nailed that oolala!
So - classic noob mistake,huh? I'll remember that!!!

It's also nice to know that not everything has to be 'by the book'... I've been on one diet or another for so long, it's hard to tell what 'normal eating' is like.

Thank you for the virtual hugs all - I really appreciate it!!!

hhenders

Post by hhenders » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:06 am

Thanks, guys, this was helpful for the question I was just about to post ;-)

I went out for dinner with friends, and it was too early AND what I ordered was neither good nor filling, so I didn't eat very much, and I was just pondering whether I'm supposed to suck it up and go to bed hungry or whether I can "virtual plate" it and eat some more at home. With y'all's reassuring comments, I think I'll go ahead and eat something. This kind of thing doesn't happen often and it seems there's no great virtue in white-knuckling it when I actually didn't get enough food.
I'm not targeting a goal weight or size, since that's counterproductive. I just want to eat sanely and look slender always! 4 weeks of very consistent No-S led to no weight loss. Not sure what to do now.

Red

Post by Red » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:20 pm

Yep, that was the take-away for me too. I am also apparently susceptible to the whole "oh ghads I've failed" thought process... and everything crumbles.

I'm going to do some brainstorming, have some quick small meal fixes available for these scenarios. The first one that comes to mind is a quick veggie omelette, salsa of course!! LOL. Or even just some boiled eggs and nuts.

Getting the sweets out of the house is going to happen soon I think, will also help prevent the odd "gotta eat anything" panic.

I'm glad of this place, and again thank all for the feedback!!!

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:23 pm

Funnily enough, I just had a uniquely disrupted day food-wise. Normally I just eat my packed lunch around midday - then eat again about 7pm. Today I didn't get to eat lunch until gone 2pm - then had to stop and attend to something at work - so came back to it about 30-45 mins later. This eve I wasn't hungry for dinner. This has never happened to me before. The lunch I ate in two parts was the ONE meal I had packed for lunch - so it didn't feel out of control and wasn't 'seconds' - so I'm allowing it. But it was interesting to experience it and how it threw me off!

On an evening note - I'm not an evening person generally and if I have to stay up later than I'd like to (usually work) I sometimes have my 'milk' as hot chocolate. This satisfies my appetite for that 'something' without being too damaging to the habit. I'm not quite into Aztec chocolate drinks (yet) but I keep the sugar really low.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs