meds that cause weight gain. nooooo!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MaggieMae

meds that cause weight gain. nooooo!

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:56 am

I started spironolactone in December for hormonal acne. It works! I have clear skin for the first time in years. Miracle drug! However, I recently made a post about my weight being up six pounds or so even though my diet is greatly improved. Well, found out today that it's a common side effect of my miracle drug. Noooo! So, now I have to choose being losing weight and having clear skin. Ugh. Anyone else have a medication that makes losing weight harder?

Bullisaba

Post by Bullisaba » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:24 am

That sounds like a tough situation. I had terrible acne growing up and I ended up taking Roacutane. The results were amazing so I can understand wanting to keep your clear skin.

Is your weight still increasing or has it stabilised?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:48 am

Do they know if the medication actually makes it harder to lose fat or easier to retain water? Fewer carbs lets water go more easily.

Do you get hungry between meals?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:36 pm

I've heard amazing things about Accutane, but I'm afraid of it for somr reason. I'm not sure oolala, but I do get hungry between meals lately. After I posted this, I cut my dose in half. I weighed myself and was down two pounds. Hopefully that means it wasn't true fat gain. The medicine is spironolactone and works on your hormones by decreasing male hormones like testosterone. Hopefully the weight Will stabilize and my skin will stay clear on the lower dose. First world problems. :lol:

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:22 pm

Oh, I forgot to add that if spironolactone is given at a higher dose,it's used as a diuretic to decrease blood pressure. Maybe my hormones are just acting crazy because of this med and caused my weight to fluctuate? Oh well. Gonna press on with NO s and hope for the best.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:18 pm

I take Gabapentin for nerve pain. Holy $@&? Has it upped my appetite. I have, shamefully, added 30 pounds. I have lost ten now, but I eat and do not even realize it. I am trying to be more mindful (if you will, thanks Thigh Nhat Hanh.) About When I have eaten, and if I am really hungry, but there are times it is just relentless.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Bullisaba

Post by Bullisaba » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:07 am

lol @ first world problems. I know what you mean however I do not understand why people don't think of acne like a medical problem. If you had a rash on your face you would treat it, so why not treat acne?

Hopefully the half dose will work better for you. There is only one way to find out.

:D