Introductory shovelglove workout video

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

Introductory shovelglove workout video

Post by reinhard » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:34 pm

[Sorry for the cross post -- I figured No-essers might be interested in this as well, especially if intrigued but somewhat baffled by shovelglove. This is an easier onramp I think than the movement specific videos.]

The 14 minute video you've been waiting for for 14 years: a full shovelglove workout for beginners you can follow along with. Sorry about the wind noise. Sorry also I couldn't fit quite two complete cycles of movements in -- talking through the movements messed with my timing a bit. Consider it an unintentionally forceful illustration of "respect the timer?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8aBu4xIZRA

Please let me know if you have questions/comments suggestions for future videos!

noni

Post by noni » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:03 pm

Thank you Reinhard; it looks good on you! Can you make this a "Sticky" so we can find it when the mood hits? I was in better shape when I used to do this 5 days a week. I do stretching now, but I wanted to add in light weight- lifting, and this is a motivator.

Congratulations on your 19 year old cat (but for a while there, I wasn't too sure he would reach another year). That's quite an accomplishment.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:00 pm

Glad you like it!

I'll go ahead and make it sticky in the shovelglove forum (I've also updated the "video" link on the main shovelglove page and movements page to point to it).

Sadly Gingi's brother and the other co-muse of shovelglove (still immortalized on the home page) didn't make it quite so long (natural causes -- not the result of any shovelglove mishap).

Reinhard

holypotato

Post by holypotato » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:00 pm

Just chiming in to say this is very helpful, thank you!

Also I have a sweet ginger kitty who is 18 this year :)

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:09 pm

Great video, makes the whole thing a lot more clear. I didn't expect the shovelglove movements to be that 'controlled' and kind of slow. But I tried it out today and it was definitely more fun than any of those hectic HIIT (high intensity interval training) work-outs... and less spastic. I understand the dignity part of it. I definitely felt less like a degraded beast doing shovelglove.

Suggestion for future videos: workout routine(s) without the breaks/explanations (maybe a caption of the movements names would be enough). Then you could simply follow along without having to learn the routine first.
Expectation exists when there is fear.
- Swami

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:44 am

bjalda wrote: Suggestion for future videos: workout routine(s) without the breaks/explanations (maybe a caption of the movements names would be enough). Then you could simply follow along without having to learn the routine first.
Love this idea--call this one the "training" video, and then have a "workout" video that just shows the workout. You can just call out the moves instead of explaining/training.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:50 pm

This is very helpful! I've been trying to work on the basic moves, and this will definitely help. Thanks for taking the time to make this.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:54 pm

Good suggestion about the training vs workout...

I have better audio gear now (pyramid foam is on the way!) and a bit of a clue how to take advantage of it (for my no s audio book recording project) so hopefully it should be too difficult to bang out something more polished and follow-alongable soon.

I think I'll also create a separate total intro video where I go through the whole story, how to make the shovelglove, etc.

Thanks for being the guinea pigs on this one!

Reinhard

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:58 pm

Yup - really helpful to see the whole sequence like that - thank you.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs