No-Hunger Breakfasts

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

SpiritSong

No-Hunger Breakfasts

Post by SpiritSong » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:01 pm

Please give me your no-hunger guaranteed breakfasts. :lol: I don't want theory here, so please no posts about proteins, fats, fiber, etc. I want to know the actual breakfast you eat to get through the morning, especially if you have to wait 7-8 hours between breakfast and lunch.

Personally, I am hungry every morning, pretty much from 9 am to 1 pm when I have lunch. I realize some hunger will be necessary during the weight loss process. But I plan on losing my extra weight slowly over the next two years and I can't imagine spending every N-Day morning for the next two years feeling hungry. :evil: Alternatively, I am going to have to come up with two 4-hour breakfasts, one to eat at 5 am and one to eat at 9 am.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide!

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:42 pm

2 Scrambled Eggs with melted cheddar or pepperjack on 1/2 bagel, or 1/2 tortilla, or Rhodes frozen roll.
Small Bowl of Total with a little whole milk
Bowl of berries
2 cups of coffee with cream (:

I never get hungry before lunch!!

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:14 pm

i eat "lunch" style food for breakfast:
veggies - raw or prepared
good bread
eggs
cheese
beans
leftovers from the day before
i'm vegetarian, but if i wasn't i'd eat meat, too, for breakfast

basically, no breakfast-food - no cereals, jams, croissants,bagels, spreads... that makes me starving within an hour or two...

ceo418

Post by ceo418 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:45 pm

I may be one of the outliers here, but most days of the week I have a bowl of cereal (often Honey Nut Cheerios or Raisin Bran) with 1% milk and a banana for breakfast. It's almost seven hours from breakfast to lunch and I end up getting hungry about 30-60 minutes before lunch.

Other mornings I'll have a piece of toast with peanut butter, milk, and a banana. Or toaster waffles with peanut butter and the tiniest bit of syrup (some might consider this an S, but if I have this on a weekend I add a lot more syrup) with milk and a banana.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:37 pm

Eggs don't really agree with me in the morning, but they sure are filling.
A 2 egg omelet with ham, cheese, broccoli (and whatever) with 2 slices of (5g ea) high fiber toast and some fruit if there is any around is super filling to me.
If I am eating meat, a sandwich with chicken, lettuce, mayo on the same bread plus a few chips will keep me going, and I don't mind eating lunch stuff for breakfast.
If I am eating no animal products, a pita bread with 1/3 c refried beans spread on it, and a cup of coffee can keep me going very well!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:13 pm

Almost every day I eat a bowl of rolled or steel cut oats porridge with whole milk. Sometimes put fruit on it or some sour cream if I have it. 2 cups of milky tea. If extra hungry I have a slice of toast with butter and peanut butter.

Mid morning I have a decaf coffee or rooibos tea with milk if I feel peckish. Usually hungry an hour before lunch. I usually stretch myself out and eat breakfast later, after getting kids brekky done, so my overnight "fast" is often 14 hours. That way the day time meal stretches aren't so long.

Joyday

Post by Joyday » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:51 pm

Great topic!

I am new to this, but here is a breakfast I have always eaten. Salmon patties. Canned salmon with bone and skin, eggs, some kind of flour as a binder, and seasonings. I fry them in a little oil or butter.

I eat breakfast at 5:45. 3 of these will keep me for about 5-6 hours. My lunch break is at 11:30.

minimizer

Post by minimizer » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:57 pm

I'm like ironchef--I have oatmeal for breakfast almost every day...and I agree that having a longer span of time between dinner and breakfast, and
shorter times between my three meals, is helpful for getting through the
day. I believe that a long nighttime fast is very healthful.

Bullisaba

Post by Bullisaba » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:33 am

I'm eating soup or stew with a dinner roll at the moment. I go through phases of eating different things but I generally cook something on the weekend to eat for breakfast over the work week.

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:24 am

Mine probably won't work for you, but I typically have a fruit smoothie for breakfast. Usually it contains:

1.5 cups frozen berries
3 or 4 heaping tablespoons of vanilla yogurt
1 cup of water.

Sometimes I also add a cup of raw spinach or other greens, or sometimes I make it a bit sweeter with 1/4 cup of fruit juice in place of some of the water.

I don't feel like eating when I first get up, so I usually wait an hour before breakfast, and then I have 3-4 hours between breakfast and lunch. I might have a cup of coffee with cream and sugar, or a cup of tea in there.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

cedar

Post by cedar » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:31 am

Good topic..I've found this works for me.. rolled oats just softened with hot water or milk with a big dollop of Greek yogurt with nuts and banana on top, with a boiled egg on the side..I have coffee first thing and a hot water and then I can wait about an hour to eat. For some reason if I cook oats into a porridge I'm starving an hour later and feel really tired, but raw oats slightly softened fills me up beautifully:D

jackn

Post by jackn » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:51 am

Mostly beef, about 80g, though it can be fish or 3 eggs
Veg, usually cooked, but can be raw, about 400g
Depending on day, some whole carb, such as cereal, legumes or root - about 100-150g, depending.

Sometimes peckish, mostly just enough to have lunch with relish.

I like the q, too.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

jackn

Post by jackn » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:51 am

Mostly beef, about 80g, though it can be fish or 3 eggs
Veg, usually cooked, but can be raw, about 400g
Depending on day, some whole carb, such as cereal, legumes or root - about 100-150g, depending.

Sometimes peckish, mostly just enough to have lunch with relish.

I like the q, too.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

phosphorus

Post by phosphorus » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:20 pm

90% of the time, some variation on "two eggs and toast with fruit or vegetable." And lots of black coffee.

This morning it was two eggs fried sunny-side up, with an English muffin and an orange.

Sometimes I make an omelet with vegetables in it. Sometimes I have tomato juice instead of a piece of fruit. If I think I'll need fewer calories (early lunch, or because I'm not that hungry) I'll just have half the toast, or I'll poach the eggs and skip the butter.

If I want something cold instead, I'll have a bowl of whole Greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey, fruit chopped up and mixed in, and a handful of crunchy cereal on top.

I never have trouble making it to lunch or wanting to snack in the morning. No seconds at dinner is by far the hardest S for me to keep.

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:38 pm

I find that if I have coffee and lots of water when I first wake up, I'm less hungry for breakfast right away. My favorite go-to breakfast or lunch is mini quiches with a side of fruit or a piece of Ezekiel bread. I make the mini quiches ahead of time and freeze them so all I have to do is microwave them for a minute and they are ready. It's worth the prep work because the recipe below makes 12 and I usually eat 2 each morning. I modify the recipe below and add what I like since I'm not counting calories, fat, etc but here is the basic twist. If you like eggs, you will love these!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/petite-crust-less-quiche/

jackn

Post by jackn » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:40 pm

* This topic seems to excite many of us, certainly myself.

* As to moderatemeals' point about blunting the morning hunger, to me, two things will do that well. First, a wake-up protein snack. This I picked up from Tim Ferris. I haven't done it in a few days, but some 30g of beef, say, and raw veg simply allowed me to take my time and have breakfast only an hour or more later, yet calmly.

* The other thing that helps me deal with hunger in the morning is exercise. Not that I'm usually ravenous or anything.

How about your own take, generally, and now that you've seen the myriad responses to your post, Spiritsong?[/list]
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

Rikki

Post by Rikki » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:25 pm

Oatmeal made with full cream milk and a spoon of peanut butter mixed in always keeps me full :)

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:33 am

moderatemeals wrote:I find that if I have coffee and lots of water when I first wake up, I'm less hungry for breakfast right away. My favorite go-to breakfast or lunch is mini quiches with a side of fruit or a piece of Ezekiel bread. I make the mini quiches ahead of time and freeze them so all I have to do is microwave them for a minute and they are ready. It's worth the prep work because the recipe below makes 12 and I usually eat 2 each morning. I modify the recipe below and add what I like since I'm not counting calories, fat, etc but here is the basic twist. If you like eggs, you will love these!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/petite-crust-less-quiche/
That's an interesting recipe. Do you think it really needs the flour and egg-whites? Wondering if one could just do eggs and milk for the base...
Respect Moderation

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 02, 2016 3:49 am

Three hard-boiled eggs and the rest of the plate veggies can last me 7 hours without a lot of hunger, sometimes more.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

nettee

Post by nettee » Mon May 02, 2016 8:12 am

If I have time then fried or boiled egg with mushrooms and/or tomatoes and toast or bagel.

If I have less time then cheese, cracker, wheeabix and an apple.
3 tasty meals a day and loving it

noni

Post by noni » Mon May 02, 2016 2:20 pm

Merry wrote:
"That's an interesting recipe. Do you think it really needs the flour and egg-whites? Wondering if one could just do eggs and milk for the base..."

Merry, this recipe looks like one of those Impossible Pie recipes. You would probably need the flour, but you can substitute 2 whole eggs for the 4 egg whites, I'm certain.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon May 02, 2016 9:48 pm

I usually eat breakfast around 10am.
I like a roll/butter/cheese/meat combo.
Today I switched it up with yogurt and 2 mini muffins with peanut butter.
And lots of coffee!
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue May 03, 2016 12:39 am

noni wrote:Merry wrote:
"That's an interesting recipe. Do you think it really needs the flour and egg-whites? Wondering if one could just do eggs and milk for the base..."

Merry, this recipe looks like one of those Impossible Pie recipes. You would probably need the flour, but you can substitute 2 whole eggs for the 4 egg whites, I'm certain.
Thanks, Noni :-)
Respect Moderation

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue May 03, 2016 2:45 pm

I agree with eating non-breakfast food for breakfast, but I don't always have time to make it! Sometimes I do have to eat granola bars in the car and they never last me long! I try to at least eat a huge bowl of granola if I'm running low on time. That lasts longer than a bar. Also eating PB sandwich in the car works!
"No S IS hard... It just turns out that everything else is harder." -oolala53

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue May 03, 2016 4:01 pm

3-4 eggs, bacon/sausage, hash browns. Protien and fat work for me in the morning.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Tue May 03, 2016 4:30 pm

Hard boiled eggs are my hunger salvation. I get up very early and cannot stand to eat much at that time (6:15). I have a cup of coffee and a handful of bran and milk (for regularity! :D ). Then I have one hard boiled egg at work with another cup of coffee.

Now I am a 59 year old woman so my food needs are less than a younger person, but this actually keeps me quite satisfied until lunch (which is always a yogurt and some fruit).

JJJPK

Post by JJJPK » Tue May 24, 2016 12:47 am

Hiya!

I usually have a bowl of plain (0% fat) Greek yogurt with a handful of fresh fruit on top. This probably won't work for you though because I'm usually hungry about an hour afterwards. I've learned to live with it :lol: But my brother (who is attempting to gain weight! Can we trade places please?! :lol: ) has oatmeal with bananas and peanut butter on it. I can't guarantee that it works but I really couldn't imagine that letting you down any time soon. Oh, and the oatmeal is made with milk :wink:
Good luck!
Na Razie
Na Razie!
JJJPK

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 25, 2016 8:08 am

How about an update, SpiritSong? Anything worked for you?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Tonsha

Post by Tonsha » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:08 am

I had a lovely breakfast in the works canteen this morning:
  • 2 Dry Toast
    3 Scoops Baked Beans (Equivalent to a large tin)
    1 Egg on the top!
Bear in mind that I'm in the "make your meals big enough to get to the next meal & establish the habit" phase.

...and I prefaced eating with a 1 hour Urban Ranging. :D

Once I get the habit down (I'm guessing 2-3 months) I'll start reducing this a little. Probably 1 Toast with 2 Scoops beans with the egg.

So I'm getting Carbs from the bread & beans, Protein from the beans & egg, fat from the egg, and fibre from the beans.

YUMMY!!

DaveA
"The best diet is the one you don’t know you’re on" - Brian Wansink

Shuggernaut

Post by Shuggernaut » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:19 pm

My standard breakfast is a bowl of steel-cut oat porridge, into which I mix a handful of roasted almonds (or a tablespoon or two of peanut butter), a handful of berries, a little honey or brown sugar, a splash of milk, and a dash of cinnamon. I'll also sometimes have a banana with it.

I try to keep my eating within a window of 8 hours or so. Breakfast is usually around 10 a.m., lunch around 2 p.m., and supper around 5 or 6 p.m. Waiting until 10 to eat breakfast took some getting used to, but a little coffee holds me over, and my body has adjusted so that I really don't get hungry until about that time now. I'm a public health nurse, and eat my first two meals of the day while working at my desk, in order to reserve break times for walking and/or calisthenics. Shovelglove happens at night, either right when I get home from work (before supper), or an hour or so before bed.

HappyHiker

Post by HappyHiker » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:31 pm

Baked beans on buttered toast with 2 cups of hot tea.

Dale

Post by Dale » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:02 pm

I often have porridge (just a very small portion) with salt and usually added seeds or a couple of chopped nuts, and a little bit of milk. Sometimes I have greek yoghurt with nuts and seeds and/or porridge oats, and I often add something sweeter to that like a little bit of honey or some berries. Occasionally, a small piece of toast/bagel with peanut butter. I need to keep the portions small, because I like to have a larger meal in the evening.

These sort of breakfasts get me through a normal, working morning, but I do struggle if being particularly active sometimes, and might add in some extra nuts. I do sometimes have an egg but I don't seem to find it as filling as other people do - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It maybe depends on the size of the egg!

Incidentally, I've only got to this point through habit. I used to always feel hungry mid-morning. When I started No S, I started off with bigger portions for breakfast, then gradually cut them down. I'm lucky in that I only usually have to wait five hours until lunch. If I had to go longer, I'd maybe stick with having the bigger breakfasts, then have a smaller lunch?

liveitup

Post by liveitup » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:29 am

I alternate but usually stick with a couple staples. The cafeteria at work has a couple porridges with toppings. I'll alternate between a big bowl of oatmeal or whole grain porridge and a plate of eggs, fruit, and a starch.

Cereal with milk doesn't do it for me, but when I do have that at home and sometimes at the office, I'll have a banana or a yogurt to complement it. I almost always also get a morning latte when I do that though since cereal just doesn't do it for me.

Ashrah

Post by Ashrah » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:59 pm

I typically do a serving of oats with water in the microwave, then add a serving of full fat Greek yogurt, a bit of honey and berries, sometimes with nuts on top.

That or eggs. I will either scramble one whole egg with 1/2 egg whites with 1/4-1/2 cup black beans, pico, hot sauce and some cheese. Or I will make an egg bake of eggs and egg whites with spinach and roasted red peppers, cut into 6 and add a slice onto a whole grain english muffin with avocado or cheese.

Otherwise its a scoop of protein powder, into black coffee with full fat milk and a rice cake with full fat PB.

I switch between these often and they keep me very full until lunch. I workout before I eat as well, so if its not filling enough I would die before lunch.

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:16 pm

I have a few that I rotate through. The latest is two slices of whole grain sprouted wheat bread (I like the crispiness) topped with peanut butter. I was using about 2T of PB but recently cut it down to one and that just covers the bread...barely. I usually have a banana with this and lots of black coffee. It really does the trick and I can adjust it easily according to my needs for that day.

Selcazare

Post by Selcazare » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:15 am

This breakfast keeps me very full for 7-8 hours:

gluten-free waffle topped with 2 tbsp peanut butter and half a banana
five Applegate Farms savory turkey sausage links
8 oz (half a bag) frozen mixed veggies with 1 tsp butter

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:32 pm

My breakfasts are usually either

- porridge with some dried fruit + nut or seeds (or overnight oats - same thing, but cold)
- granola with berries + yoghurt
- toast & peanut butter

I usually eat breakfast around 6am and have lunch at about 12.30/1pm.
Coffee at 9am, 11am ish - that gets me through OK.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

Gilnaur

Post by Gilnaur » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:17 am

Newbie here.

Low carb, high protein and fat do it for me.

Hard boiled egg, a handful of nuts and a half cup of Greek yogurt with a sprinkle of granola for crunch. Two cups of plain green tea.

Keeps me full until noon.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:57 am

I find nothing beats oatmeal for long term fullness.

Though I've traditionally preferred rolled oats from sheer laziness, recently I've been eating more steel cut (largely because my wife accidentally bought a large box).

The trick I've found to making them not so inconvenient and quite tasty is to use the overnight soak method except replacing the water with milk. One batch (1 cup dried oats with 4 cups milk) yields 4 breakfasts (I keep it in a tupperware). I do most of the seasoning in the initial boil: stick of cinnamon, dash of salt, about 4 teaspoons sweetener (mostly brown sugar), vanilla. Then after reheating in the morning I top with fresh fruit (blueberries and strawberries, pineapple, even grapes), crumbled walnuts, and a (small) dash of maple syrup. For folks who are into stevia, I've experimented with using that instead of some or all of the brown sugar and it tastes fine, though I personally don't worry about the little bit of sugar because it's not nearly enough to flunk the "dessert test."

Even a small bowl of this has amazing staying power. And it's quite delicious. With the milk and the nuts and the fruit and the oats it's got everything: protein, fiber, vitamins.

Gilnaur

Post by Gilnaur » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:22 pm

reinhard wrote:I find nothing beats oatmeal for long term fullness.

Though I've traditionally preferred rolled oats from sheer laziness, recently I've been eating more steel cut (largely because my wife accidentally bought a large box).

The trick I've found to making them not so inconvenient and quite tasty is to use the overnight soak method except replacing the water with milk. One batch (1 cup dried oats with 4 cups milk) yields 4 breakfasts (I keep it in a tupperware). I do most of the seasoning in the initial boil: stick of cinnamon, dash of salt, about 4 teaspoons sweetener (mostly brown sugar), vanilla. Then after reheating in the morning I top with fresh fruit (blueberries and strawberries, pineapple, even grapes), crumbled walnuts, and a (small) dash of maple syrup. For folks who are into stevia, I've experimented with using that instead of some or all of the brown sugar and it tastes fine, though I personally don't worry about the little bit of sugar because it's not nearly enough to flunk the "dessert test."

Even a small bowl of this has amazing staying power. And it's quite delicious. With the milk and the nuts and the fruit and the oats it's got everything: protein, fiber, vitamins.
Now that Autumn is approaching, hot breakfasts are in and oatmeal is one way to go.

stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:44 pm

What if you are just physically not feeling well and don't want to eat a lot?

For example, this morning: I'm recuperating from some emotional stress (family melodrama!) and woke up with a sore back (very obviously stress-related).

I did go out and do my 14 minutes of exercise - a little shovelglove but mostly just slow marching in place, stretching, etc. - and feel a little better. But don't feel like eating much.

And I know I'll be having a big lunch today in just a few short hours.

So how's about this for my breakfast?

1. Trader Joe's Organic Toaster pastry (aka Pop Tart)
2. tiny leftover hunk of cheddar cheese
3. Coffee loaded with half-and-half and sugar
4. Water
5. Orange juice

Also, that's all I've got in the house for breakfast anyway.

Oh well ... some days are better than others! I'll go grocery shopping this afternoon, and make sure I have a better selection tomorrow! 8)

noni

Post by noni » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Reinhard makes an exception for sick days. You do whatever it takes to feel better.
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:42 am

Thanks, I do now ... so this morning I had pretty much everything I posted earlier, plus more fruits and vegetables, plus a slice of ham. Yum! I love having "breakfast fruit salad" now!