What do you tell your family and friends?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Nell1223

What do you tell your family and friends?

Post by Nell1223 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:08 am

Hi everyone. I've just completed my first week of No S'ing!! I'm wondering what to say when people ask me what I'm doing as I refuse snack, sweets or seconds and then confuse them by having them (sometimes a) on S days. My husband says nothing - he has been 5:2'ing for about 2 years and has seen me try out different weight loss and healthy eating programmes - he probably thinks to himself "here we go again, how long is this one going to last"

My tendency is to say nothing but I tried to explain to hubby, why I was eating lunch yesterday instead of my usual snacking and didn't know what to say - I don't want to talk about my eating etc but when people ask why you're eating this way what do you say to them?
Last edited by Nell1223 on Wed May 04, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Wed May 04, 2016 5:24 pm

If people actually ask, I just tell them. They are usually not all that interested. Sometimes they say "well I couldn't do it!" However there was one woman I work with who had asked me a few years ago. I told her and that was that. A few months ago she asked me again- "was there something about "no s" or something?" Now she is doing it. So sometimes you are helping someone by mentioning it. But mostly people don't care as much as you might think. Of course you might run into one of those people who assure you that your metabolism will slow down to a crawl without constant snacks. Just smile! :)

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Wed May 04, 2016 7:15 pm

This thread will give you many ideas:

https://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10823

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu May 05, 2016 4:43 am

I've done this for 3 years and never explained it to anyone, including my family. No one has ever asked a question that couldn't be answered by:
No thank you.
Yes please.
No more for me, thanks (pat stomach meaningfully)
I try to save treats for weekends.

Although that last one I don't have to use often.

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu May 05, 2016 5:13 am

I told my immediate family after about a month, and I left the book lying around, LOL! They really had no idea--I just said, "no thanks, I'm full" if they offered snacks on N days. On S days, if I wanted the snack, I wasn't full :-). They really didn't realize the difference--I never said, "no thanks, I'm on a diet"--so I think that's why it wasn't confusing.

My dh has since started moderately following NoS, and my ds has been trying to snack less and focus on meals more--so it's rubbing off here.

I did tell my best friend, but she and I have both tried various things over the years. I changed one of my S days for our regular day to get together, LOL (so I do Fridays for S days instead of Saturdays).
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

cedar

Post by cedar » Thu May 05, 2016 7:11 am

I think the great thing about no s is you don't really have to explain anything.. unless you want to. Meals look 'normal', if offered to eat Ill say "thanks but I've had a big lunch (breakfast) but I would love a tea/coffee" I don't think people care as much as we think they do.. :D

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu May 05, 2016 1:47 pm

You do not have to really say anything. No S is much less intrusive on other peoples social lives than no carbing, or Ornish, or whatever. Just say, "I am still full from lunch."
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Nell1223

Post by Nell1223 » Thu May 05, 2016 4:54 pm

Thanks for the great advice everyone. My instinct is to say nothing and follow the principle of "The less said the better" I don't want to be part of the big community of peroetual dieters who talk about their weight food gains losses all the time. I want to just get on with my life with food in its right place

I've done so many different eating and diet plans that have only lasted a few weeks at most, and I've told people what I'm doing and then next time I see them I'm doing something else and you start to feel like people aren't taking you seriously anymore - here she goes again, they think or their raised eyebrows say it all. The worst ones are two of my in laws who seem to want to force feed me or any other guests and make comments like I hope you're not getting anorexic - no chance with two stone of extra weight 😊 It's their problem not mine.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 07, 2016 2:16 pm

I say your instinct is right. All the talking about dieting is counterproductive, especially when it's so charged in our culture and is likely to fail. Save talk of No S for after it's an established success AND only if anyone seems truly interested. Don't give anyone a chance to undermine your pleasure in it.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 07, 2016 2:21 pm

P. S. Don't know if it was here or somewhere else that someone commented that when she was obese, no one ever implied to her that her eating habits were unhealthy. Kudos to them for staying out of her business. But she said people now that she's thin feel the right to tell her to eat more because it's unhealthy not to.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Post by Merry » Sun May 08, 2016 4:08 am

oolala53 wrote: But she said people now that she's thin feel the right to tell her to eat more because it's unhealthy not to.
Yeah, just like we push snacks--what's with our fear of not eating enough?!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation