That will not work...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

That will not work...

Post by Over43 » Thu May 05, 2016 1:52 pm

Over the years, as I N S on and off, people will ask me how I am losing weight. I have emailed them the No S website, given them a copy of the book to read, or just simply written the No S "mantra" on a napkin and handed it to them.

I often find it interesting particularly from people who are significantly overwieght, that their answer is: That will not work. I read a book...

I have read a lot of books as well. I have actually stopped reading diet books over the last year or so. I want to ask them: How is that book (diet) working for you? I am usually to polite to do so.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Thu May 05, 2016 3:44 pm

If it's too hard or a permanent way of life, or if it goes against "common knowledge" a.k.a. 6 meals a day stoking metabolism, people don't want to believe it works because they don't want to DO it. Everyone thinks there's an easier way, even if it's harder than NO S like counting calories, restricting food groups etc., those plans are always temporary therefore easier than No S.
"No S IS hard... It just turns out that everything else is harder." -oolala53

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri May 06, 2016 1:04 pm

Haha. I had a vision of Dr Phil saying," so, how's that working for ya'?". Sorry. You're right. Everyone has the answer, but yet we all keep getting bigger.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri May 06, 2016 1:41 pm

What really gets the people I talk to is that I haven't really exercised consistently until the last few months. I have done West African dance off and on for over 20 years and people know that about me, but I tell them I can go two months without dancing at all. Even now, it's 14 minutes that's more likely than any extra walking. But this isn't ideal.

The part of us that is really really attached to overeating will pooh pooh just about anything. I'm pretty sure Banting, the first promoter of dieting, lived in a society that ate much more moderately than he did, but that wasn't good enough for him! I think it's a mix of desperation and rationality that allows anything else to peek through. When the seekers realize that the way they are living is actually more painful than the solutions proposed, more becomes possible Then it's another cauldron of competing desires until a reasonable routine is found.

I envy anyone who stumbles on the doable solution for them right off the bat.

On that note, off to my 14 minutes.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)