Helpful hints to stay on plan--what are yours?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

LifeisaBlessing

Helpful hints to stay on plan--what are yours?

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:35 pm

Hi Everyone! :)

Over the holiday weekend, I found myself really enjoying the food and time with family. It was great and freeing to stay on plan and not be worrying over food.

I discovered that I never really remember a time in my life that I looked back on a holiday and said, "Gee, I wish I would've indulged in more pie, cake, cookies, turkey, ham,.......etc." This actually was a nice mind thought that kept me from overeating. It was much easier to limit quantities of food when I remembered that I wouldn't regret having less, whereas I would regret having more.

What are some of your strategies/hints for keeping on plan?
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

noni

Post by noni » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:50 pm

Hi Life, The 4th is an S-day, so I stayed on plan for that...lol. I ate only the food I wanted, ignored potato chips and those things I have on hand at home. It amounted to more than I would eat on an N-day, though, and even a typical S-day. I only had room for a small amount of dessert. I felt like I didn't overeat, considering, but when I started homeward, my stomach started to hurt. I think it was the pistachios and other nuts I couldn't resist, placed every where there was a seat. It's those 3-day weekends that take extra diligence.

So, you stayed on plan on an S-day. How is that different from your N-day?

moonbat69

Post by moonbat69 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:57 pm

Last night, I looked at my plate full of great food and thought to myself that there are millions of people around the world that don't have as much for dinner as I did on that plate. And those people have lived that way their whole lives and it doesn't even phase them. I've taken the 3 "S"s for granted. I'm trying to stay grounded by keeping that perspective.

Also, I look back at how we ate in the mid-70's. There's a drastic difference that pretty obviously explains the obesity problem that I have.

Best wishes,
moonbat69

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:30 pm

Hi noni! :) - Since I modify NoS to allow for snacks and sweets during every meal, I don't have S days. I just continue eating three meals on the weekends and for holidays or special days. But, of course, the temptation is always there to eat more at any meal--thus going "off plan." Thinking about the fact that I have never looked back at any celebration over the years wishing that I would've eaten more food helps me to control the amounts now. :)

moonbat69 - Great point about mid-70s eating. :) I distinctly remember being outside playing getting good and hungry for meals back then. That's another visual to keep in the arsenal!
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Bullisaba

Post by Bullisaba » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:02 pm

When I am at a buffet meal I try to put the healthy food on my plate first. That way I take smaller portions of the junk.

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:06 pm

Life, I'm a little like you in that I almost always eat just 3 meals, even on S days. The difference between my N & S days is that my S days are just a bit bigger & I include foods that I consider sometimes food (sweets & other less nutritious treats).

What keeps me on plan has been loosening up on myself & not expecting perfection. Some meals are bigger, some less healthy. I don't burn out that way or feel deprived when I have days where I eat smaller portions & make healthier choices. During a week where a lot is going on, I've become okay with just maintaining & not expecting to make any progress & realizing that in the long run that is actually healthier to have weeks like that!! By lowering my expectaions I haven't need to cheat or have "what the hell" moments that used to derail me in the past!!

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:27 am

for my mind, especially now on 6 weeks holidays, these are helpful:
"every day starts as N day" (sorry, i forgot the name of the author)

and the one from oolala54 signature:
"count plates, not calories"
that helps me as a calorie counting recoveree

plus, significantly less junk food because it makes me hungry and craving...
and a bit more protein and a bit less carbs seem to be super helpful, too...

habitcal and tracking also helps since im on noS just couple of months... i do see it as an in between stage and hope to be able to let it go eventually... not there yet...
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

fire

Post by fire » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:40 pm

I'm just starting day 3 right now, so I'm brand new. But something that helping me so far is, when I feel like having a snack, I have a cup of hot flavored tea, instead. The flavor feels like a treat even though the tea has no calories. It worked two days in a row, so I am going to keep it up. Congratulations, everyone, on building new habits. I am glad to be here!

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:01 pm

All great ideas! It's always good to have a collection of supportive visuals/ideas/thoughts/sayings as back up when times get challenging. :)
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:43 pm

There are a ton of good ideas in the intelligent dietary defaults and No S catch phrase glossary under Sticky of stickies, too. Great browsing if the habits get shaky.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:42 pm

Thanks, oolala! :) I did check out the intelligent dietary defaults, and you're right--lots of great information there. There was so much I'm still going through it lol.
~Jimmy Dean

~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:34 am

No need to "use it all up" fast. (I always marvel that Reinhard was able to do it for the first few years without a site like his to support him!)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

k1dub

Post by k1dub » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:41 pm

Every time I'm tempted to cheat, I tell myself "it's this or tracking/calorie counting" and I give a shudder and put down the ice cream until the next S day.
"All people use food for more reasons than mere nutrition." ~ Maya Angelou

Committed 7.12.16 | Vanilla No S

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:02 pm

Oh, yeah! Before I started, I had determined that the options weren't going to work, so it was either get a grip or feel cruddy most of the time overeating for my last decades on this planet. Nearly 40 years of escalating overeating had me convinced it wasn't going to change on its own.

I.E., remembering the benefits of this way of eating and wanting to avoid the previous suffering, more so than things like chewing gum or keeping my hands busy, have kept me on track. I might do those things but not without remembering why. Otherwise, I might not choose to do them. I guess that's not chain of command (podcast), but it's what I've done.

And just plain remembering that if I give in when it's hard, I reinforce the habit, which I don't want to do. AND reminding myself that I ate awhile ago, I will again in a few hours, and I'm not starving myself.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:01 am

k1dub wrote:Every time I'm tempted to cheat, I tell myself "it's this or tracking/calorie counting" and I give a shudder and put down the ice cream until the next S day.
:lol: love this!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation