What do you have with soup?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

HappyHiker

What do you have with soup?

Post by HappyHiker » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:01 pm

I have been on a huge soup kick lately. I've just been having salad and bread with my soup, since it doesn't seem like a meal by itself.

What do you all have with your soup? Also, feel free to share any soup recipes. ;)

knitapeace

Post by knitapeace » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:17 pm

I love toasted cheese sandwiches with soup, because I'm a big dipper. :D
Everything I need, I already have.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:40 pm

I love a bowl of soup and a bowl of popcorn!
I like to have vegan chili and a home-made oat square.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:50 pm

In the soup or not, I would probably have some starch, non-lettuce veggies, fat, optional protein. The basics of my lunches and dinners are rather similar. Soup just means there's more water involved!

BTW, Barbara Rolls, a researcher on satiety, said that soup made eaters feel more satiety at that meal and ate less at the next meal compared to if they had eaten the same ingredients without their being in a broth, even if the people ate the food and separately drank a glass of water equivalent to what was in the soup. It had something to do with the repeated spoon action. (I may thwart that as I often eat the solids out and then drink the broth...)

No soup recipes, as I tend to just keep broth around and add stuff last minute.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

HappyHiker

Post by HappyHiker » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:57 pm

osoniye wrote:I love a bowl of soup and a bowl of popcorn!
I like to have vegan chili and a home-made oat square.
I like vegan chili over a baked potato, but I'm intrigued by the oat square. I looked up recipes, and they are all sweet. Do you make savory ones?

Selcazare

Post by Selcazare » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:27 pm

For a thick stew like chili, I love a over-easy egg on top. For thinner soups, I don't tend to eat anything with them, but I am also not a fan of bread or crackers.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:37 pm

oolala53 wrote:BTW, Barbara Rolls, a researcher on satiety, said that soup made eaters feel more satiety at that meal and ate less at the next meal compared to if they had eaten the same ingredients without their being in a broth, even if the people ate the food and separately drank a glass of water equivalent to what was in the soup. It had something to do with the repeated spoon action.
That's interesting. I tend to just have a hunk of bread with my soup. And, as Reinhard has said - I have a generous portion of soup. Mostly my soups will include pulses, such as lentils, and lots of veggies - so they really are a 'meal in a bowl'. I like to sprinkle seaweed on top - and sometimes cheese or a non-dairy 'cheeze' on top.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:46 pm

I'm a soup a holic. One of the reasons I love Autumn is because it is soup weather, but I fix it in all but the deepest hot of summer.

Usually I have soup "over" something like a baked potato, rice, or couscous. Yesterday I had a bowl of sweet potato stew over some leftover cooked macaroni. It was okay. A clear soup is a little less "stick to the ribs" so I always put clear soups over cooked noodles. (not in the soup, or the noodles get soggy) Or putting a handful of barley in any soup makes it a lot more substantial. And nothing wrong with a crusty bread, or crackers with any soup.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:10 pm

thicker soups, like stews, i eat with a slice or two of bread... unless there is pasta/noodles in them... and a light salad on the side (as with almost every meal)...

soups like broths as well as tomato soup i eat as entrée with a bit of noodles... i eat rarely broth as entrée unless im back in croatia, where it is traditional to eat broth on, for example, sundays just before the main meal... and more often in wintertime... but no amount of broth can make it a meal in itself for me...
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!