why feeling hungry is healthy (article)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kaalii

why feeling hungry is healthy (article)

Post by kaalii » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:31 pm

here is a nice article, pretty much in line with noS... except the hunger scale thing, one plate is more than good enough hunger scale for me... noS, when properly internalized, teaches us the art of serving ourselves optimally...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/1 ... 39468.html
“Hunger” has a very negative connotation in our society. Our immediate reaction to the word is that it’s a bad thing, something to be eradicated and fixed. Of course, when we’re using the word “hunger” to describe the issue of food insecurity, we are indeed describing a problem. However, when there’s plenty of food available to eat, hunger is actually a lovely part of the overall eating experience. To put it simply, food tastes better when you’re hungry.

Unfortunately, hunger is the Rodney Dangerfield of feelings — it “gets no respect.” Some of us munch all day, never feeling too full but never actually giving our body time to become hungry. Others will try to ignore hunger in an effort to lose weight, skipping meals until they become ravenous and inhale that fast-food combo on the drive home. At times, people can even develop a fear of hunger, either through food deprivation caused by lack of access, or by self-inflicted starvation in the form of a fad diet. So, they try to avoid feeling hungry by grazing all day. Some of us have also learned to mistakenly describe other emotions (such as feeling lonely or bored) as feeling hungry, and eating in response.

Becoming Reacquainted With The Proper Place Of Hunger In Our Day Can Be Helpful In So Many Ways.
The French instinctively do this in their pattern of eating: Snacking in between meals is rare, because arriving at the table with a nice appetite is an essential ingredient to good food. Consider these three reasons to “embrace hunger” in our daily lives:

Eating In The Absence Of Hunger Means You Are Likely Overeating
Some weight loss counselors have great success using a tool called the Hunger Scale, to help people re-connect with eating in response to their body’s hunger and fullness cues. The concept is quite simple: When you use the Hunger Scale, you don’t eat until you notice that you are pleasantly hungry (not starving), and you stop eating when you are pleasantly full (not stuffed). Penny Wilson, a registered dietitian who uses the Hunger Scale when working with athletes in Houston, she sees it as a tool for “honoring our body’s need for food and energy without giving it excess to deal with.” She notes that this practice of reconnecting with hunger cues can often result in weight loss, because it helps people cut out those times when they’re overeating.

Allowing Kids To Get Hungry Helps Cut Down On Picky Eating
Part of the responsibility of feeding children has to do with allowing enough time, in between eating occasions, to allow a child to get hungry. Indeed, allowing a child to get hungry is a gift — it makes food taste better, and it helps him become more willing to try new foods. It’s very easy to be picky when you aren/t hungry. If your dinner table is a battle zone, see if you can cut down on eating and drinks between meals (besides water), to allow your child to build up a nice, healthy appetite before sitting down at the table.

Hunger Allows You To Enjoy Your Food
Think of the last time you heard a great speech. You’ll notice that the power came not only from the words, but the pacing. Great speeches contain critical pauses — and without them, the speech would lose its luster. The same is true with food. Good food requires hunger (created during those pauses between meals) to become great food.
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

liveitup

Post by liveitup » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:31 am

This is so true. We started a bad habit of cooking kids meals while my wife and I ate something else. We stopped that madness and while of course the kids still have their preferences, if they are hungry, they will eat. They do not get kids meals anymore and they have very small snacks (I think this is fine and good for our very young -- 2 and 5 -- kids). So they're not No-S but they are No-Special-Kids-Meals at least. :)

This_is_it

Post by This_is_it » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:20 am

This is a great article. An eye opener for me because i now realise that i'm actually afraid of becoming hungry. When i become hungry i will get very cranky. Not fun to be around :oops: .

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:32 pm

Thanks for sharing that article.

After over a year doing No S, I have lost that 'fear of hunger' - which I definitely had! I never allowed myself to get hungry before No S - I would get cranky, shaky, headachey, tired.......... it's all been 'reprogrammed' with No S.

I'm actually sitting here right now feeling hungry - it's 4.30pm and another 90 mins until dinner-time. I only had yoghurt and fruit for lunch (my choice today) so I expected to be hungry. I've got a delicious meal planned for this evening and am going to really enjoy it!

In the meantime, I'll have a cup of tea! I am not cranky, shaky, headachey or tired either!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:19 pm

The author of the book "French Kids Eat Everything" told of how she asked her sister-in-law what would happen if her picky eater children (who pretty much held out for crappy food in North America) didn't like the food on the (sumptuous) menu at the French school they were going to attend. SIL replied, "Then they'll be hungry."

Mom learned many interesting lessons and her children came back from the experience more sophisticated eaters.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:07 am

I will say that as a child, I would far rather not eat than eat something I didn't like. There were no snacks or alternate meals available, but I was a hugely picky eater. One of my kids is even more so, and we never offered snacks/alternate meals either. For me, some was taste but I also had a lot of texture aversions that caused a gag reflex I couldn't control. Not eating was far preferable, and that's what I saw in my child too. I do think it's a good policy and often does cut down on picky eating, but may not necessarily do that for all kids.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:37 am

I was a very light and picky eater, and some texture and taste combinations (eggplant, cauliflower cheese) triggered my gag reflex. As a child I preferred being hungry to eating these foods, so was sometimes very hungry. I was a very skinny kid (enough to be picked on about it). I eat everything now though - in any country.
My kids are one picky and one who eats everything. I think it's all too easy to blame parents (usually mothers) for picky eaters, and to praise them for raising good eaters. Sure there are ways to improve, but some of the behaviour is just the kid, like being an early crawler or having an easy time toilet training.
In general we do limit snacks and time meals to help my picky kid arrive hungry at the table, but it's not a magic bullet.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:21 pm

ironchef wrote: Sure there are ways to improve
i think the article is saying just that...
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

beetle

Re: why feeling hungry is healthy (article)

Post by beetle » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:17 pm

kaalii wrote:here is a nice article, pretty much in line with noS... except the hunger scale thing, one plate is more than good enough hunger scale for me... noS, when properly internalized, teaches us the art of serving ourselves optimally...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/1 ... 39468.html
�Hunger� has a very negative connotation in our society. Our immediate reaction to the word is that it�s a bad thing, something to be eradicated and fixed. Of course, when we�re using the word �hunger� to describe the issue of food insecurity, we are indeed describing a problem. However, when there�s plenty of food available to eat, hunger is actually a lovely part of the overall eating experience. To put it simply, food tastes better when you�re hungry.
the thread is amazing
Unfortunately, hunger is the Rodney Dangerfield of feelings � it �gets no respect.� Some of us munch all day, never feeling too full but never actually giving our body time to become hungry. Others will try to ignore hunger in an effort to lose weight, skipping meals until they become ravenous and inhale that fast-food combo on the drive home. At times, people can even develop a fear of hunger, either through food deprivation caused by lack of access, or by self-inflicted starvation in the form of a fad diet. So, they try to avoid feeling hungry by grazing all day. Some of us have also learned to mistakenly describe other emotions (such as feeling lonely or bored) as feeling hungry, and eating in response. kitchenlola has a number of great reviews

Becoming Reacquainted With The Proper Place Of Hunger In Our Day Can Be Helpful In So Many Ways.
The French instinctively do this in their pattern of eating: Snacking in between meals is rare, because arriving at the table with a nice appetite is an essential ingredient to good food. Consider these three reasons to �embrace hunger� in our daily lives:

Eating In The Absence Of Hunger Means You Are Likely Overeating
Some weight loss counselors have great success using a tool called the Hunger Scale, to help people re-connect with eating in response to their body�s hunger and fullness cues. The concept is quite simple: When you use the Hunger Scale, you don�t eat until you notice that you are pleasantly hungry (not starving), and you stop eating when you are pleasantly full (not stuffed). Penny Wilson, a registered dietitian who uses the Hunger Scale when working with athletes in Houston, she sees it as a tool for �honoring our body�s need for food and energy without giving it excess to deal with.� She notes that this practice of reconnecting with hunger cues can often result in weight loss, because it helps people cut out those times when they�re overeating.

Part of the responsibility of feeding children has to do with allowing enough time, in between eating occasions, to allow a child to get hungry. Look up this content about the best wireless headphones on Jason's blog. Indeed, allowing a child to get hungry is a gift � it makes food taste better, and it helps him become more willing to try new foods. It�s very easy to be picky when you aren/t hungry. If your dinner table is a battle zone, see if you can cut down on eating and drinks between meals (besides water), to allow your child to build up a nice, healthy appetite before sitting down at the table.
Hunger Allows You To Enjoy Your Food
Think of the last time you heard a great speech. You�ll notice that the power came not only from the words, but the pacing. Great speeches contain critical pauses � and without them, the speech would lose its luster. The same is true with food. Good food requires hunger (created during those pauses between meals) to become great food.
this is amazing

Last edited by beetle on Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dale

Post by Dale » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:47 am

I'm just not sure about hunger. At the moment, I'm not feeling hungry for meals, but I'm sticking to my schedule and eating them anyway (and losing weight). I think this is due to changes in my diet. I've felt for a long time that my feelings of hunger and satiety have been messed up, and I believe there is some research to suggest that this is the case in obese people. The article seems to be saying that it's a bad thing that I'm not experiencing hunger, and that I shouldn't be eating, but in that case I'd be eating very, very little - and NOT eating can sometimes suppress hunger, can't it?

I actually think this is a really complex area.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:38 am

I also agree that a feeling of hunger is a poor indicator for most people. Sticking to an eating regime that works for you sounds healthy to me.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:40 am

This is good stuff. I've had a lifetime of not being able to properly "hear" my body's signals, and as a result 1) ate between meals when not truly hungry and 2) ate too much at meals, not paying attention to my full signals. This resulted in a weight over 300 lbs in my 30's.

We listen to our bodies in other things, such as drinking when thirsty or using the toilet only when we need to go, but for some reason, people get to a point where they can no longer hear their body when it comes to hunger and satiation signals.

But following the discipline of No S has begun to turn it around for me, and I'm beginning to hear AND RESPECT my body's signals of true hunger (or not) and of fullness. It is no longer a thing to fear, getting hungry between meals. In fact, that idea of "pleasantly hungry" is part of the enjoyment.

BUT. Getting ravenously empty is not. That has only happened once since I started this, though. I'm much more likely to eat when not truly hungry, than to go long enough to let myself get REALLY empty.

Good points in the comments about kids who would rather go hungry. I can't even imagine, though I'm pretty sure I'd rather be hungry than eat tapioca pudding. hahahaha.

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:02 am

bunsofaluminum wrote: though I'm pretty sure I'd rather be hungry than eat tapioca pudding. hahahaha.
OOOOH, I'll eat it for you! I haven't had a good, homemade tapioca pudding in years...I'll have to do that on an S-day soon!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation