The benefits of a bad meal

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jackn

The benefits of a bad meal

Post by jackn » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:13 pm

Today, instead of my usual wholesome, delish Saturday morning breakfast in the company of acquaintances at the cafe, I had a bread-brownie-carrot meal.
I meant to check out the huge brownie that I had coveted for a while in the next door bakery.

Well.
The brownie tasted like a synthetic concoction stuffed with poor cousins of the real thing.
My guess is it had some bland veg oil instead of butter, few if any eggs, and tried to make up for the cheap ingredients by its large portion size and an overwhelming dose of sugar.

Be that as it may, I did go ahead and have the planned breakfast, all the way to the last crumb.
I admire the people who push away a dish which turns out not to appeal to them, I'm just not one of them...

Happy end, though: it wasn't suffering, just a let-down, and, above all, I can now walk by that brownie, safe and smug in my disdain for this phony wannabe.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:44 pm

Cheers! Nothing like being able to cross a temptation off our lists. Especially one we see a lot.

Brian Wansink showed that the average person will eat even stale popcorn, and a lot of it, if they're served a lot of it. So don't feel bad about not pushing the food away. (That's what I tell myself when I notice others leaving food behind. I rarely do it, either.)
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

jackn

Post by jackn » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:09 pm

Prompt response, Oolala.
Thanx.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:23 pm

perfect thread title for your topic. Similar to the half a bag of potato chips I had as a "treat" a month or so ago. It really was NOT worth it.

Way to go. It's cool that your tastes have evolved, and you can recognize inferior quality when you come across it. :)

jackn

Post by jackn » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:07 pm

Oh, yes, buns.
I'm sure it's got to do with having whole foods usually.
And, as I'm sure you know, that part - whole foods, that is - is by no means about pain and gain and all that jazz.
It's just so good.
And doesn't leave you always craving more like Big_Agri food-like-colorfully-packaged-poison.

Good to have you comment.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:17 am

If something is just that bad, I will leave it. I used to do the same thing, if I started a bad book, I would plod through it until the end. In the last several years, I will put a book down if it doesn't grab my attention. And I read a LOT.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

jackn

Post by jackn » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:48 am

Good for you, whoson.
I like the reading analogy.

Will I get there one day?
An aspiration, and I'm happy to be on the road towards.
Let the, eh, chips fall where they may.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:34 am

Been there myself. I'm starting to learn but still have times I keep eating. A related habit that I've not quite conquered yet--saving the best for last. Nope, eat what you like best first--less likely to feel like finishing it all if whatever you don't like as much is left! Sometimes I remember to eat the best first, but often I forget.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation