Strict Eating Defector Introducing myself

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

freeandeasy

Strict Eating Defector Introducing myself

Post by freeandeasy » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:04 pm

(this is a repost - I posted this in the daily check in a realized this is probably a better place for my intro)
Hi,
I'm so excited that I found No S and want to introduce myself.
I've been practicing No S for about 2 weeks now am so happy that I stumbled onto it. So far I've had 2 weeks of success in developing this new habit.

I defected from a strict food bootcamp I was in the middle of to come here. It's designed for food addicts, and while it's an excellent program and very needed by some I'm sure, I could feel myself starting down that road of obsession and binging again. I just don't have it in me to go there again.

I very much need to lose weight - I'm a 45yo female, 5'4" and 230 pounds, so I have a ways to go. But I don't know that I'm actually a food addict. Already, only 2 weeks into No S, I feel so much more relaxed about food, and I'm not obsessed anymore. And thanks to the few weeks of the bootcamp I did do, no snacking and no sweets is easy to do.

I haven't lost any weight yet - in fact I've put on 2 pounds. BUT, I have piled my plates high. I think I needed to know that I could eat whatever I want, so I had some very large servings of some pretty rich foods and almost no veggies. It's the opposite of what I was doing with the bootcamp. I'm now ready to strike a balance. I don't like feeling so full and heavy. And now that I don't have to keep having the "last supper" (that crazy eating I do before going on a diet because "I'll never get to eat that food again") I am actually looking forward to eating in a way that tastes good and makes me feel good.

Wish me luck. I look forward to meeting some of you, getting encouragement, and sharing it in return. :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:55 am

Welcome welcome!! You are definitely in the right place. Personally I think the whole concept of food addiction is bogus. Bingeing and other out of control behaviors are usually backlash caused by strict dieting (imo).

Also I think it's smart to pile your plates high in the beginning. I certainly did because my focus was on getting the habit down. I didn't lose much weight for the first several months but I felt so much better. It was the first time I felt at peace with my eating and that was huge. Later I was ready to tweak things to help me lose the weight.

I started at around 210 lbs so I know how hard it is to be overweight. It's a process though and takes time. Completely worth it!

Best of luck!

Linda :)
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

MaggieMae

Re: Strict Eating Defector Introducing myself

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:37 am

freeandeasy wrote:(. And now that I don't have to keep having the "last supper" (that crazy eating I do before going on a diet because "I'll never get to eat that food again")
That's great! I do it every time I'm starting a new diet! Better eat five snickers because I'll eat one for the rest of my life! Yeah, right. Haha. Welcome to no S!

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:58 am

Hi and welcome! I am relatively new myself to No S, I started at the beginning of October. I am 42 and have around 28 pounds to lose. But am doing NoS for sanity rather than fast weight loss and to find a way to have a normal relationship with food. I am a classic yoyo dieter and it is such a relief to have finally stepped off that hellish rollercoaster!
Good luck and keep posting here for support, I have had some wonderful advice on these boards. :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:53 pm

Welcome! It's a journey and we have all kinds of experiences: strong starts and smooth sailing, strong starts and later fumbles, weak starts, etc. None of them completely foretell who will be around in a year, but we do still have people posting years into it, having adjusted along the way, and they have a lot to offer.

I hope you're one of them, even if it's only to check in to say how wonderfully things are going!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

naeman

Post by naeman » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:50 pm

Welcome! I'm just starting my second successful week, so you're further along than I am. So true what you said about the last supper! Even though I haven't lost much weight yet, I'm sure I've stopped from gaining a few due to the cycle of disappointment, picking a new diet, and binging on a last supper!

Best of luck to you. Hope to see you around.

freeandeasy

Post by freeandeasy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:36 am

Thank you for your wonderful replies so far, I really appreciate it!

Reading through them I realized I forgot to mention that part of what has impressed me is looking through all the testimonials of people who have been doing No S for YEARS! Whoa! That is something you don't see in other places and really made an impression.