I Gained 5 Pounds my 1st month on No S - and that's okay.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Anne-Marie

I Gained 5 Pounds my 1st month on No S - and that's okay.

Post by Anne-Marie » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:43 pm

So I gained 5 pounds during my 1st month of No S and the weird thing (for me) is that I'm not freaking out AT ALL. I followed the No S Diet rules *exactly* but I over-indulged on the weekends (and that's putting it mildly - I actually crammed food in my cram hole until I felt sick for three weekends in a row) and during the week my meals were huge because I have never ever gone without snacking before and am terrified of feeling hungry. But for the past 10 days or so I have felt more normal around and about food than I ever remember feeling. And you know what? That feeling is way more important to me than a number on the scale. I love this way of eating. It's brilliant in its simplicity. No eating plan I've attempted in the past has felt so organic. I can sense that both my mind and my body are adjusting to this way of life and that when I weigh again in a month the number on the scale will be lower. I'm also coming off of years from the tedium of calorie counting and it feels like I just escaped from prison. I have freed up so much mind space! I'm doing things that I have been putting off forever and I think a lot of that has to do with me being able to concentrate on things other than food and weight. But I also maybe wanted to hear from those of you have had success on No S - but had an initial weight gain.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Can't help you there, but No S came after a period in which I quit trying to do anything to change my eating. It wasn't as positive as yours, but I just recognized that I wasn't willing to do much so why keep bugging myself about it? But I saw that I didn't want to live like that forever. No S allowed me to wean myself off the wildness.

Hope you hear from others who had the initial overages wear off. As they say in the X Files, the truth is out there.
Last edited by oolala53 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:29 am

I'm so proud of and happy for you, AMP. No S does seem right. I've tried it numerous times over the last 12 years, but never followed through. I always ran to something that would get me quicker results even though, as you well know, they never panned out and I ended up regaining any weight I lost. So, thanks for helping to inspire me to try again.

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:59 am

Welcome! Love that you are experiencing some of the benefits of No-S, and I hope your second month goes well! I didn't start off by going up, but I do go up whenever I'm on vacation or with family. I've also had a couple of 5-week plateaus, and despite it all, have still lost about 22 lbs. in a year's time. (I'm officially at the 1-year mark in 2 days!) Hang in there!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

naeman

Post by naeman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:13 pm

I hope I'll be able to come back in a few months and say that I gained at first, but now I've lost!

I've been on No S for just a few weeks now. I did start out by going up, mostly because of Wild S days. I haven't really lost yet, but I've been hovering around my starting weight (with a pound or two gained from Thanksgiving weekend).

Honestly, just that I've maintained for 3 weeks is pretty unusual for me. My N days have started to look a lot more reasonable, and I'm convinced that I'll lose a couple of pounds before Christmas holidays come back around!

Still, it was such a pleasure to eat on Thanksgiving without any guilt, and to know that I had a plan to be in control for the Friday after that was full of leftovers.

Best of luck!

bunsofaluminum

Re: I Gained 5 Pounds my 1st month on No S - and that's okay

Post by bunsofaluminum » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:19 pm

Anne-Marie wrote:So I gained 5 pounds during my 1st month of No S and the weird thing (for me) is that I'm not freaking out AT ALL. I followed the No S Diet rules *exactly* but I over-indulged on the weekends (and that's putting it mildly - I actually crammed food in my cram hole until I felt sick for three weekends in a row) and during the week my meals were huge because I have never ever gone without snacking before and am terrified of feeling hungry. But for the past 10 days or so I have felt more normal around and about food than I ever remember feeling. And you know what? That feeling is way more important to me than a number on the scale. I love this way of eating. It's brilliant in its simplicity. No eating plan I've attempted in the past has felt so organic. I can sense that both my mind and my body are adjusting to this way of life and that when I weigh again in a month the number on the scale will be lower. I'm also coming off of years from the tedium of calorie counting and it feels like I just escaped from prison. I have freed up so much mind space! I'm doing things that I have been putting off forever and I think a lot of that has to do with me being able to concentrate on things other than food and weight. But I also maybe wanted to hear from those of you have had success on No S - but had an initial weight gain.
This! Oh, it is just so wonderful to read your testimony. wow, I was feeling really fat and a failure because I haven't lost anything overall in six months. But I'm with you...the sanity about food is more valuable than any number on any scale. I too made myself sick on my first weekend, and I also was scared of feeling hungry...and I LOVE IT that that mindset, and that behavior, are no longer the case.

Your words were just exactly what I needed, because I'm feeling really discouraged about not having moved a single solitary pound of weight in all these weeks and months. Thanks for the superb reminder about what is ACTUALLY sublime about No S.