Bircher muesli/overnight oats

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Skycat

Bircher muesli/overnight oats

Post by Skycat » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:58 am

Anyone who has seen my check in thread will have noticed that I eat the same thing every day for breakfast, except on Sundays. I find this is filling enough to keep me going until lunchtime, it doesn't contain any crap, and it's prepared in the evening so it's really useful for anyone who is busy in the mornings.

So here is my recipe for my version of bircher muesli which I believe is also called overnight oats.

50g oats
small handful of raisins
a banana, sliced or chopped
a handful of frozen berries, I use frozen mixed berries because they're cheaper.
milk, sometimes I use regular milk, sometimes I use almond milk.

Mix everything together in a bowl and leave in the fridge overnight.

In the morning, take it out, I like to add some seeds on the top for a bit of crunch.

Eat.

If anyone is looking for a new breakfast to try, I recommend this, it's also great for adapting and using up whatever bits of fruit, nuts etc you have hanging around.
I CAN do this.

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:00 pm

Thanks, I'll try it! Still looking for the perfect lasts-five-hours breakfast.

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:04 pm

Sounds really good! Slightly strange question - don't the chopped bananas go brown overnight?! I'm going to try it, I have those ingredients in the cupboard :)
"You'll know where the North Star is ⭐️" - Oolala

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:46 pm

The bananas don't go brown if you bury them a bit :)
I CAN do this.

Buttercup

Post by Buttercup » Fri May 05, 2017 10:47 am

Hi Skycat - this sounds great :)

I've seen versions of this recipe that have yoghurt, but not milk. I avoid dairy, but making with almond or coconut milk would be lovely.
How much milk would you use? Is it the same as for porridge?

thank you

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Fri May 05, 2017 11:46 am

I never really measure the milk, I guess I just add enough to make it all mix nicely. Not so much that the oats and bits are floating but enough that it's not like concrete :D
Maybe add as much as you would for porridge, you can always adjust it to what suits you. I prefer to use regular milk because of the calcium, but my husband avoids dairy because it makes him snore. So sometimes it's quicker just to get out one type of milk, then I use his almond milk :D
I CAN do this.

Buttercup

Post by Buttercup » Fri May 05, 2017 2:46 pm

Well, I will give it a go over the weekend and report back. To be honest, I never measure the milk when I make porridge either, I just sort of 'know' so I will use the same method.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu May 11, 2017 7:19 pm

Like this one a lot.

Amazing how many variations there are on oatmeal.

Might be worth a book...

Reinhard

Buttercup

Post by Buttercup » Fri May 12, 2017 11:37 am

OK so reporting back!

The same amount of milk as for porridge is too much (for me) as it seems they don't absorb as much of it when cold, but milk until it just cover the oats seems to work v well :)

Good brekker for when you have limited time in the morning to make something wholesome, thanks!