Diets, diets everywhere.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lilybug

Diets, diets everywhere.

Post by Lilybug » Wed May 31, 2017 11:29 pm

I find myself sick of hearing about everyone's diets at work. It's like a constant topic. I guess I understand, but that is what I'm trying to get away from- the constant obsession with dieting.

It does make me slightly nervous with everyone losing weight on their carb programs and I feel as if I may even be gaining. Still, I feel over all the obsession with it all. Lately I'm thinking let the chips fall where they may

Maybe I'm just cranky today 😜

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:03 am

Ok, this may sound mean but just give them time. You can never tell what shape someone will be in two years from now. If you really stick to this and the underlying principle of aiming for moderation, your odds are much better that you will weigh less then and they will weigh more, though it's not a contest and odds are just that, not guarantees. But No S guidelines have a much longer track record in modern times -i.e., the last 10,000 years- than low carb.

Or they could be part of the lucky 3% that rides a diet train to slimness. If we're ever feeling lucky, we can always hop on...
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:20 am

Sorry you're having a rough time, but I agree with Oolala--wait and see. I know I've tried other diets and yes, I lost weight faster, but I couldn't stick with them long term and there wasn't a good maintenance plan--I always gained back all I had lost and usually a bit more. I'm done yo-yo dieting! No-S is slow but sustainable loss. And if you go several months and aren't losing, it's fairly easy to identify something to tweak. Give it time and see what happens. As you alluded to, the mental relief of being off the diet treadmill is definitely a bonus.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Lilybug

Post by Lilybug » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:26 am

Thanks, guys. Sorry to be so negative. I've been so cranky lately! I guess I got so fed up with diets that I wanted to be done with even hearing about them! I can remember when people didn't talk about everything they ate or didn't eat. We talked about more interesting things than constant monitoring of calories, points, carbs, steps, etc.

I hope it does work for them (diets, low carb in particular), but it's not for me.

It's scary to let go of it, who knows where it will take me? But I'm done with them. Either I learn to moderate, or I'll just be fat and unhealthy (hopefully not).

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:22 am

When those are your options, it can sharpen resolve.

I've actually prepared some possible topics to divert the conversation to if a lot of diet talk comes up.

And it's okay to vent about diet culture here!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Alaina15

Post by Alaina15 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:45 am

Lolz everyone is just conscious about their weight that’s why everyone is sharing the topic diet everywhere. I am also gaining lot of weight but taking some [SPAM LINK REMOVED] for this & hope I will lose some weight

Bluebell

Post by Bluebell » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:54 pm

Alaina15 wrote:Lolz everyone is just conscious about their weight that’s why everyone is sharing the topic diet everywhere. I am also gaining lot of weight but taking some *SPAM LINK REMOVED* for this & hope I will lose some weight
Alaina may I respectfully point out to you that you are in completely the wrong place to be promoting diet supplements. NoS is about forming sensible eating habits, not popping pills.
"You'll know where the North Star is ⭐️" - Oolala

Marina

Post by Marina » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:31 pm

Diet talk has come to a point in my work that i've decided not to eat in the kitchen table with my colleagues to avoid it. People will comment on what everyone is eating and give unsolicited advice. The low-carb crew will say i shouldn't be a vegetarian or point me to vegetarian low-carb options. It annoys me so much!

Lilybug

Post by Lilybug » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:54 am

Hard to hear the talk also when their weight is dropping so fast and mine is climbing! I wonder if the diet talk makes me anxious and actually eat more!

Lady Brachiosaur

Post by Lady Brachiosaur » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:57 pm

Lilybug wrote:Hard to hear the talk also when their weight is dropping so fast and mine is climbing! I wonder if the diet talk makes me anxious and actually eat more!
Is it possible that you're eating much quicker just to get through the meal and avoid the diet talk? When I eat fast I barely register the food and still feel hungry