Coffee

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ZippaDee

Coffee

Post by ZippaDee » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:23 pm

I am not a coffee drinker. My husband loves coffee. I love the smell of it, but can not stand the taste of it. Can not even take a hint of the coffee taste. Bleck! I actually often feel like I am missing something wonderful by not being able to enjoy coffee it the morning. Ha! I even read folks' check in threads here and feel sad that I do not enjoy coffee. People are so excited about coffee!! I feel like I am missing out on something so wonderful! That is all. Ha! :lol:
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:01 am

Sip, ahhhh! Just had my first sip of after dinner coffee.

I too enjoyed the smell of coffee brewing in our home growing up, but didn't drink it much until starting to work after college. To be honest, it's an acquired taste that can be habit forming like nicotine. I've been trying more or less to limit my consumption to two or three cups a day since retiring. It can have a negative effect on digestive health at times, so you're probably better off if you've never started.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:01 am

If you do not like, you do not like it. It is all good.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:30 am

I'm not terribly burdened by this, but I wish coffee drinking wasn't such a habit. I just want it in the morning. I get up and I want it. Or that I could stand it black. I know people say they get used to it, but by itself, it tastes like a poison to me. I sucked my thumb when I was older than people thought I should, so my mother would sometimes put a little rubbing alcohol on my thumbs. Now, I'm not saying you could fix rubbing alcohol by adding cream and sugar to it, but for me, the distaste of both is very close.

I sometimes wish I liked wine because that's something so many people love, and not necessarily alcoholics! I do drink some sometimes, but it's mostly for a slight buzz at a social event, or a glass sometimes because it's supposed to be good for longevity. I know it sounds crazy that I drink it more like a bitter medicine than a delightful libation, but it's the truth. I never drink it for the taste.

It's just a burden we have to live with...
:)
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

3squaremeals

Post by 3squaremeals » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:50 pm

I too thought I was missing out by not drinking coffee. I started drinking it by only add 3/4 of a tsp and have increased it to a heaped tsp. I don't like sugar in my coffee either

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:07 am

Yes I like coffee, but I know I’m addicted to the caffeine. I’ve also found recently that more than a small amount each day will lead to heartburn. So, yeah, the coffee habit is a mixed blessing.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:16 pm

Oolala said:
I know it sounds crazy that I drink it more like a bitter medicine than a delightful libation, but it's the truth. I never drink it for the taste.
Oh My! Not willing to drink coffee....or wine.....as a bitter medicine I guess. BLECK! Not willing to force it down to experience the joy of doing it. LOL!

Ironchef....I guess it would be a mixed blessing. Definitely not worth heartburn!

I will just resign to accept and enjoy being my non coffee drinking self. I am definitely NOT going to force it down.....just....ummmm. ...BLECK. I don't think I will acquire a taste for it at the age of 52. Don't see it happening! Enjoying my orange juice with my breakfast this morning.

ONWARD :arrow: Happy Thursday!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:02 pm

You're certainly not alone. I use coffee like bitter medicine - drink it only when I'm literally falling asleep mid-day, with some sugar and milk to make it easier on my tastebuds. Happens maybe twice a week. I don't think we're missing out on much, and know plenty of people that drink coffee only rarely. But try to tell them you can't stand alcohol either - blasphemy! :lol:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:14 pm

That sent a shudder through me. I wonder if I'll decide later to drop it with all your stoic examples?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:19 pm

It was an acquired taste for me. Started when I was dating my husband and we wanted to check out cute coffee shops to have something to do. He's a tea drinker so he would get tea. I don't really enjoy tea. So I eventually tried a cafe mocha which is like hot chocolate with a slight coffee taste. I drank that for years then at work events and fancy dinners they would serve coffee after dinner. I needed the pick me up so I tried it with cream and sugar. It was tolerable. So I became uses to that. Then a few years ago I was given a keurig foe my birthday. I started buying those yummy creamers by international delight. Then this year I've gotten into fasting so I made myself drink it black so I've gotten used to it.
You shouldn't feel like you have to drink coffee but if you wanted to I would suggest the international delight creamers. It only takes a tablespoon or two to make it taste delicious!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:25 am

I've used them. Unfortunately, it takes more and more of them to please me after awhile. :(

But it's not really weighing on my mind. Just another detail to bat around like a cat's toy.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23