Weight Watchers failure, starting No s with fear

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

joasia

Weight Watchers failure, starting No s with fear

Post by joasia » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:22 pm

I did ww for about a year and lost 50 pounds. Then I became so obsessed with counting everything that crossed my lips, that I gave up, and ate my way back to my original weight. Counting everything all the time can drive you crazy. It is very very hard to start another diet when you have failed at one. And, I was hungry most of the time on ww. No s seems very common sense, although stopping overeating is never easy. I am going to try this because it seems sane and something I can maintain. Although my neurotic diet obsessed self is already thinking... what if I put too much on the plate, but high fat food is no good, and then there is the fast food habit, s days seem scary too.....

I'm giving it a shot for one week. I walked my dog for 3 miles this morning and did the shovelglove. I am praying to God that I can be free of food obsession and adopt this for life.

P.s. I don't think I am genetically predisposed to obesity. I was a normal weight until I hit 17/18 years old and started eating fast food instead of home cooked food as well as overeating huge portions. Once you start it is really hard to break.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

david

Post by david » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:50 pm

No-S is supposed to be anti-obsessive, if you do it right. It's just (what used to be) normal, everyday eating. Especially during the first three weeks, don't worry so much about overloading your plate, etc. Just focus on following the rules. Read the main No-S page as much as needed to remind yourself. Most of all, be patient. It has taken most of us several tries to "get it right."

Good luck!

--david

nonskanse

Post by nonskanse » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:00 pm

Anit obsessive is what you need! I love counting but its my nature, I do it with everything, not just food.

No S is nice - you are allowed to completely 100% ignore the calories.

For example it is high cal to eat a plate piled with bacon eggs & sausage...
but its all on one plate! On no S you can have it. On no S it seems that most people eventually can't eat all THAT much.

I think most of us have gone through the plate piling stage (trying to fit as much on one plate as humanly possible).
GO AHEAD. Pile it on! You will eventually adjust to no snacking/eating 3x/day and then you won't be able to eat it all. Oh and I find a sharpee nicely crosses blacks out those numbers on the back of your food packages, so if you forget them, they are gone from memory for good!!

Do not base your meals on calories. Base them on no sugar. Base them on knowing you can't have an apple between lunch and dinner. Base them on food you LOVE.

I think after a few weeks you will find progress and the only thought you need to have about your diet is 1 plate, 3 times a day, no sugar. That's the only counting you have to do!
If you find yourself still piling hugely after the 21 day mark, and starving before meals, then you can switch your food balance to more protein, more fiber, whatever makes you feel fuller. But don't try to control what foods you are eating beyond the Sweets limit.

I still occasionally have cheesy buttery popcorn or nachos for dinner.

I lost 5 pounds before I fell off the wagon (even with nachos). And I was only on for a couple months.

You can do it!
"It's the perfect time of year
Somewhere far away from here"

mstevens

Post by mstevens » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:04 am

I'm still piling up the plates occasionally :(

Is ww all that bad? I've toyed with combining it with No-S in an effort to speed things up.

joasia

Is ww all that bad

Post by joasia » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:54 pm

ww works if you do it to the letter. If you love measuring and counting everything all day all the time. I hated it after a while. It turned me into an obsessive. There sucess rate is low. You will eat tiny portions the rest of your life. And they push the low fat thing. But, it really works for some people.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

mstevens

Post by mstevens » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:56 pm

Well, I'm a geek so I do like numbers :)

But yeah, could be a problem.

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:53 pm

If you want to combine a nutritional approach with NoS, you might try these ten simple rules: http://fitness-solution.blogspot.com/20 ... rkout.html

Joel

mstevens

Post by mstevens » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:51 am

J Ellis: Looks interesting, I've bookmarked it and will have a read when I have more time.