Stability of No S: No power, no exercise & no S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Traci0829

Stability of No S: No power, no exercise & no S

Post by Traci0829 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:25 am

Warning: long post, but I really wanted to share my thoughts on the forum. I loosely follow no S. I typically do not snack between meals since I discovered no S (or least very infrequently and not usually in the mornings or after dinner). I’m not so great about single plating my meals and I tend to have small sweets with my lunch and dinner. (Chocolate or a cookie when available) I am a long distance runner, so I seem to be able to get away with a less strict form on No S until...
About 2 weeks ago I developed 2 running injuries that prevent me from exercising at the duration and intensity I am used to. This is when I am reminded that the stability and structure of No S can help you maintain your weight and sanity regardless of your ability to exercise. I feel a little lost without my running (i’ve been running almost every day for close to 30 years!!!). Last Thursday we lost power for 2 days. I began to realize that between my inability to run and lack of control over having no power that I needed the sanity of No S (the more strict version). Over my few days without power I began rereading the book. I felt encouraged. I feel like consistent habits (such as No SO) are not dependent on outside circumstances can help me feel more in control. This is my first strict No S day in a long time. I remember feeling freedom when I followed it consistently. I feel like No S can be a long term solution and stability for emotional eating when other things cannot be controlled.

Anna from KC

Post by Anna from KC » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:46 am

Well put. No S is so sensible and livable...as you said in many (all) of the things life throws at us. Also for me, other diets are scary, complicated, and intimidating.
Nothing is more important for the
public weal than to form and train
up youth in wisdom and virtue.
Ben Franklin

jenji

Post by jenji » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:50 pm

Yes, I am a runner, too, for more than 30 years, although unlike you, I frequently have had periods of not running. No S provides a baseline way to control eating so that it doesn't take over your life or cause weight gain, even if you cannot exercise.
I'm a 53-year-old mom and non-profit CEO
I am 5' 7.5"
Began No S at 184#, BMI 28.4 - 9/25/2017
Current weight: 181#, BMI 27.9, 12/19/2022

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:12 pm

Well said, Traci! Thanks for sharing! I needed that reminder, as emotional eating is my big problem and I need to be more strict with the habit.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:49 pm

When I read on other forums of regimes that women (mostly young) say are working, I often shake my head. I suspect they won't last through all the next decades will bring to them. I am presently wrestling with not being able to bring structure back after years of pretty much compliant No S behavior. But I'll get through.

Running daily for 30 years sounds a LOT harder to me than No S. Hats off for that and for aiming at Vanilla.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Traci0829

Post by Traci0829 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:00 pm

oolala53 wrote:Running daily for 30 years sounds a LOT harder to me than No S. Hats off for that and for aiming at Vanilla.
Ha! Never thought of it that way! Running is not even something I give a thought to! I just wash my face, brush my teeth, drink a bit of coffee, lace up the old running shoes and head out the door. It would be awesome to get to this point with no S. I’m glad you pointed this out, Oolala. It was quite encouraging. I’m ready for the December challenge!

Thanks for all the other positive and encouraging feedback on this thread.

A great quote from the No Sbook that I keep on a notecard...

“Remember the best antidote to stress is routine. An island of regularity in a see of chaos gives you a calm and stable base of operations to address other stresses.†Reinhard