Having trouble letting go and trusting

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Thisisnotabadidea-

Having trouble letting go and trusting

Post by Thisisnotabadidea- » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:20 am

I know that NoS works, I figured out this on my own until I saw a youtube comment talking about NoS and realized that's basically what I've been doing for years. But I normally only have one "S day", which lately has been Friday. Not that the minute details are that important but the point is I've lost almost 30 pounds and maintained it doing my own "NoS". The only thing is...I still obsess over calories, I still limit my meals by number and stress over if dinner is 600 instead of my usual 400, I still weigh out everything with foodscales and measuring cups.

Lately it's really been getting me down, I truly want to to stop counting all together and just enjoy food and mealtimes but I have this anxiety if I stop, Even if I'm limiting mealtimes and portions while eating the same exact things that I'll somehow stop maintaining and gain.... has anyone else recovered from this mindset or know what to do about it? :?

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:29 am

Welcome and congrats on success while doing your own thing
It sounds like you are getting to the limits of your tolerance of being a calorie accountant. Your anxiety is actually making it more likely that you will eventually crack and go off the rails.

I can assure you that if you just relax about the whole thing, concentrate on eating nutritious food, don't eat an excessive amount on S days and do some exercise, you will settle at a reasonable weight for your body. I cannot guarantee that it will be the same weight as you are at present, but it will be a weight you can maintain indefinitely.

You don't have to let go all at once. Why not just try one meal without counting calories and see what happens. You might be able to build on that, gradually increasing the number of meals where you don't count calories every week.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:09 am

I gently recommend that you continue for awhile doing what you do but also pay attention to the patterns that there probably are in the makeup of your meals. Then eventually move into just making sure the meal content ratio is similar most days without actually counting. Realize that this has become a kind of compulsion, and compulsions do have a brain pattern that foments discomfort when you don't adhere. But that pattern can be shaken up when you realize that nothing really terrible is going to happen if you refrain, that you can divert yourself, and see later that you were fine. It doesn't mean that you won't eventually also have to get honest with yourself, but this is nothing different than what any successful weight loser has to do,. namely learn to adjust their eating as time goes on. You can be completely on track even when you have off days.

May I ask if your health is truly at stake or is this more about meeting an image of yourself? tx
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)