The Brown Rice...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

The Brown Rice...

Post by Over43 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:16 pm

So, I do not remember which page, or chapter it is in The No S Diet book, but Reinhard makes the quip, and I am paraphrasing: If you are 50 pounds overweight, you have no business worrying if you are eating brown rice, or white rice. (As well as taking mega-vitamins?) I hope I am close on that.

Well, Friday I was reading an article concerning veganism (You could say I was trolling...), and the author stated that just because you are vegan does not mean you are healthy, like if you eat chips, and drink soda, and eat white rice...

That irritated me, a bit. I am a believer that there is no such thing as a bad food, just way to much of certain foods, and when I am focused on No S, I certainly have lost weight, and have been healthier while having white rice as part of my diet. (That was a long sentence.) I do not get what the hysteria is over eating white rice instead of brown rice. Brown rice does have bit of a nutritional leg up on white rice (Looking at the chart below it is a very slim leg...), but white rice, apparently has fewer calories:

Nutrient proximates Brown rice White rice
energy 82 calories 68 calories
protein 1.83 g 1.42 g
total lipid (fat) 0.65 g 0.15 g
carbohydrates 17.05 g 14.84 g
fiber, total dietary 1.1 g 0.2 g
sugars, total 0.16 g 0.03 g
calcium 2 milligrams (mg) 5 mg
iron 0.37 mg 0.63 mg
sodium 3 mg 1 mg
fatty acids, total saturated 0.17 g 0.04 g
fatty acids, total trans 0 g 0 g
cholesterol 0 mg 0 mg

I can cover some of the nutrients missing from white rice with my daily vitamin. Plus brown rice, according to my taste buds, tastes like dirt. In Asia, contrary to another article I read, Asian mostly eat white rice, not brown rice. According to one article I read by an Asian doctor: white rice stores better, is less expensive, is easier to digest, and in a paradox to being less expensive - is actually considered a sign of prosperity. Also, if I remember my college days and the 2-3 classes classes I took on Asian history, in Japan white rice is a sign of purity. (again, someone might know the story behind that better...that is a 30 year recall.)

So, I will stick with the 3 billion people in Asia who eat white rice.

Sorry for the rant.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

NaomiShambles

Re: The Brown Rice...

Post by NaomiShambles » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:32 am

From a dieting/weight loss point of view, the problem with white rice is it's much less satiating per calorie. Not a problem if it's just part of your meal, along with satiating protein and vegetables, and you don't take seconds!

In some dishes I like brown rice, for example I find the extra chewiness is nice in poke bowls, but most of the time I prefer white.

ChandaLikePanda

Post by ChandaLikePanda » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:50 pm

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it looks like white rice has more iron content than brown rice, which is interesting, since white rice just has the bran removed. I wonder why that is, the iron content goes up. Maybe it's more bioavailable with the bran removed?
Height: 5'4"

liveitup

Post by liveitup » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:46 am

White rice is usually enriched with vitamins, which they add back to the rice after they've stripped the original vitamins away from it. That's probably why the iron content is surprising.

I can tell you from very recent experience that a whole wheat tortilla instead of a regular white tortilla, and brown rice instead of white, etc., on a burrito will NOT stop me from eating the whole thing anyway, so clearly the "makes you feel more full" claim probably only helps certain people eat less. I can always make room for more. :)

For me, when I opt for whole grains, it's purely for the nutritive/wholesomeness aspect of it, but I don't expect it to help me lose weight without good meal moderation. On a side note, has anyone taken apart a burrito and put it on a plate, deconstructed? I mean, I don't think I could do that to one without feeling like I'm destroying it, but I am curious! I'm sure it's different than a burrito bowl. :shock:
BMI March 2021: 28
Using NoS to eliminate emotional eating.