Reflections on Simplicity

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

April

Reflections on Simplicity

Post by April » Mon May 06, 2019 3:02 pm

Someone said "three meals a day and life in between."

I don't know who to give credit for that, but this morning I reflected on the simplicity of no s, and how else I could apply simplicity in my life.

Since I now have no need to be inundated with new information on how to lose weight, meal planning tips, calorie counting tips, the next new quick fix, the diet that's not a diet, and so on and so on. An overload of information on this subject is ever so easy to consume through the internet and podcasts, books and TV commercials, you name it. And for those of us who have been searching for the solution after many failed attempts for a very long time know what I'm talking about!

During my walks for the past several years, I always had a podcast or audiobook playing hoping to grab onto the next new shiny idea or diet that would finally help me lose weight. So this morning I decided to leave my earbuds in the car and instead listen to the birds chirping and enjoy the beautiful sunrise and the serene view of the lake. What a revelation it was to realize I was missing out on opportunities to truly enjoy nature, and get some gentle exercise just for the fun of it. I was more relaxed and energized from this walk than from any others as far back as I can imagine. I look forward to my walks now even more than ever.

Rienhard was spot-on with Einstein's dictum "make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." An uncluttered mind is a beautiful thing. I am so excited to see what other things in my life will become simpler, easier, and more enjoyable now that I too enjoy three meals a day, with life in between.

So, how have YOUR lives changed for the better after finding the freedom and simplicity of No S?
Last edited by April on Sat May 11, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
April

"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.”
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Whosonfirst

Re: Reflections on Simplicity

Post by Whosonfirst » Mon May 06, 2019 11:29 pm

April wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:02 pm
Someone said "three meals a day and life in between."

I don't know who to give credit for that, but this morning I reflected on the simplicity of no s, and how else I could apply simplicity in my life.

Since I now have no need to be inundated with new information on how to lose weight, meal planning tips, calorie counting tips, the next new quick fix, the diet that's not a diet, and so on and so on. An overload of information on this subject is ever so easy to consume through the internet and podcasts, books and TV commercials, you name it. And for those of us who have been searching for the solution after many failed attempts for a very long time know what I'm talking about!

During my walks for the past several years, I always had a podcast or audiobook playing hoping to grab onto the next new shiny idea or diet that would finally help me lose weight. So this morning I decided to leave my earbuds in the car and instead listen to the birds chirping and enjoy the beautiful sunrise and the serene view of the lake. What a revelation it was to realize I was missing out on opportunities to truly enjoy nature, and get some gentle exercise just for the fun of it. I was more relaxed in energized from this walk than from any others as far back as I can imagine. I look forward to my walks now even more than ever.

Rienhard was spot-on with Einstein's dictum "make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." An uncluttered mind is a beautiful thing. I am so excited to see what other things in my life will become simpler, easier, and more enjoyable now that I too enjoy three meals a day, with life in between.

So, how have YOUR lives changed for the better after finding the freedom and simplicity of No S?
Have to agree with your observations on NoS and walking sans electronic devices. Nothing clears my mind like walking and enjoying nature and I've made several comments on my walks on check-in. Sunny days, birds chirping, squirrels and rabbits running, snow crunching under my shoes or glistening like crystals in the sun. And of course the wind-haha, glad I put on an extra sweatshirt and gloves. The simplicity of NoS speaks for itself. Being somewhat of an exercise nut most of my life, I've now discarded a lot of equipment and stick to basic compound moves and bodyweight stuff. Simplicity rules.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:54 am

I'm proably the one you read the quote from, and I got it from very old OA materials.

I can't claim these days any other influences from No S, but wanted to say that I was glad to be reminded about noticing nature's signs on walks. I don''t wear ear buds or listen to anything, but I can get very caught up in my thoughts, which is a reason I have not always thought that going for a walk did much for my anxiety. (I also like to walk pretty fast, because it just feels better.) I can still be concentrating on the sky, greenery, and any animal life present. TX
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat May 11, 2019 4:02 pm

Very inspiring post, April! I love this - it kind of made me tingle.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

April

Post by April » Sat May 11, 2019 9:11 pm

automatedeating wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:02 pm
Very inspiring post, April! I love this - it kind of made me tingle.

:D :D :D
April

"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.”
- Martin Luther King, Jr.