30 Day "Sprinkles" Experiment

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

April

30 Day "Sprinkles" Experiment

Post by April » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:00 pm

I have listened (again) to the Everyday Systems Podcast. Reinhard is a genius. Taking his one month, one mod advice and putting it into action.

I have tried Vanilla many times it was just not for me. I have made slight modifications here and there but never gave them long enough, and/or they have not been sustainable.

I am committing to the following Vanilla with Sprinkles experiment for the next 30 days, encouragement to stick it out for the full month greatly appreciated, even if some of you may think the sprinkles are not something that would work for everyone.

No Snacks with Sprinkles:
3 meals a day, no snacks, plus 1 very healthy mini-meal, only if needed.

No Sweets no Sprinkles

No Seconds no Sprinkles

Except on Days that Start with S Sprinkles:
Instead of weekend S Days, THREE S-MEALS per week, in which seconds and sweets can be included. I will still observe Special S days as vanilla.

Reasoning for this: I get paid to evaluate restaurant meals 1-2 times per week as part of my job. It would be easier and more enjoyable for me to use these meals as S-MEALS not being too concerned about the large portions and sometimes desserts are included. Also, once a week (weeknight) pizza or other (weeknight) larger meal out with family or friends will also be more enjoyable without wondering how much I can fit on one plate. This will be the 3rd S-MEAL. I will gladly trade weekend S days for this option as in my world weekends are just as busy as weekdays usually, and one weekday off is usually my laid back day for the week.
April

"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.”
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

oolala53

Re: 30 Day "Sprinkles" Experiment

Post by oolala53 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:08 pm

It’s worth try. Since the nature of your job makes the mods systematic, it could work to at least establish habit. If there’s still overeating going on, as there often is even when people are Vanilla-compliant, it’s easier to target it later.

I’m not sure what you meant by saying you would STILL observe special S days as Vanilla.

Good luck on getting a streak going!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

April

Post by April » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:36 pm

Oolala, I mean I will follow the original (vanilla) S Day exception for special days Birthdays, Holidays, etc. to allow snacks, sweets or seconds on each of those days. Does that answer your question? Thanks for your reply.
April

"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.”

April

Post by April » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:18 am

Wow, nothing motivates like progress. It has been 10 days and I am down a full 2 pounds. I have really been focusing on the "N" meals being more healthy in general, but the "S" meals have been very much NOT so healthy, rather large, and with dessert, and very much enjoyed! But since I am only allowing three "S" meals per week, it appears my compliance to the "N" meals is key. I am surprised the scale is down that much in 10 days, and very encouraged to continue my 30 day experiment now!

(I will be moving future comments on this to my check-in, not sure if this belongs on the general discussion board.)
April