Newbie to the s-diet

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Murphysraven

Newbie to the s-diet

Post by Murphysraven » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:02 am

hello everyone. I found this site through a livejournal entry that linked to a workout site, that linked to a refference to shovelglove and finally linking to the nos diet. Ah the magic of the internet!

After trying and miserable failing atkins, south beach and other "quick fixes" (I just can't keep with it) I joined weight watchers. It was sucessful for me, for a little while. but I grew tired of journalling and found I was always eating 3 point or 4 point snacks all through the day, because it was in my allowance, but then be out of "points" by the time I got home. So frustating!

I really like the nos philosophy and it really does make a lot of sense. I started doing no s the beggining of this month. I plan to weight myself at the end of the month and see if this is the way to go for me. (I drove myself nuts weighting in almost every other day with weight watchers, even though you are only supposed to every week)

I think simple rules might just win out! Along with maintaining my will power and some common sense about my food choices.

My biggest goals I think will be forcing myself to walk to work. I am pretty spoiled and live about a 10 min drive from the office, only 30 min to walk at a leasurly pace. With summer here I don't really have an excuse any longer. Plus I really got to get more use out of my 40BG Ipod :lol:

Lately I have been using the gym in the building (borrowing someone's accesscard to go) and getting on the elliptical machine for about 20 min at lunch time. I really like the elliptical machine and used to belong to a club just for that purpose. I just hate spending my time at the gym instead of being at home. This way I'm working it into my lunch hour, I don't have to go anywhere, plus my home time is still my own.

A little about me:
I'm 25 and married, been "pudgy" all my life but the last 5 years has transformed pudgy to very heavy. Most of my mothers family is severely overweight and I grew up with not the best of eating habits. Trying to rewire yourself as an adult is challenging, But I am determined to do it.

I'll plan on posting how things are going in the forum. Nice to meet you all!
When I asked for all things, so that I may enjoy Life, I was given Life, so that I may enjoy all things.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:30 am

Welcome to the No-S Diet! Hope you enjoy yourself on this eating plan! Post often :D .

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:24 am

Murphysraven, Welcome!
I loved that quote you posted as your signature..
Wonderful stuff!
Good luck!
I lived in Bellingham WA for a year and Seattle for about 7 months..
Washington is gorgeous!
Have a nice weekend....
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:39 am

Hello and Welcome Murphysraven.

I too am a recovering Weight Watcher. Talk about becoming obesessed!!! I never want to see another "point" in my life.

Keep posting and good luck.

CV MOM

Kevin

Glad to see you here

Post by Kevin » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:27 pm

I started two weeks ago; I've lost 7 pounds.

Good luck!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:11 pm

Welcome, Murphysraven. A once a month weigh-in sounds reasonable. I posted an analogy from the stock market a few weeks ago on how checking more frequently is bound to get you some bad results which (unless you are an emotionless vulcan) is bound to mess with your morale.

If you think you need something as a replacement to keep track of, checking off days on habit, either on a calendar or on the daily check in forum, is a much better way to go. Either way, you keep track of something that's directly under your control -- no nasty surprises, it's a 1 to 1 record all your decisions -- and it doesn't take much time. If you go the latter route, you get the added benefit of a gentle peer pressure which even I, years into it, have found surprisingly helpful.

Finally, as someone who clearly likes food (nice link in your sig!), I'm amazed you got anywhere with those other diets.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:11 pm

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I plan on doing an update soon if work allows me the time.

Reinhard - I hope it's ok that I have that link in my sig block. If not I can remove it. I tried to make sure it wasn't too showy because I am not trying to draw anyone away from your site. But for anyone who loves to cook I would be very grateful for any contributions of recipes on my cooking board. I made it so you don't have to be a registered user to post.
When I asked for all things, so that I may enjoy Life, I was given Life, so that I may enjoy all things.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:03 pm

I registered on ezboard, and saved your site to Favorites. I am looking forward to talking' food! :D