homemade granola bars?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

terryval

homemade granola bars?

Post by terryval » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:48 am

Hi everyone - does anyone know of a low-sugar alternative to honey or corn syrup for making granola bars? I have wanted to try making my own for a long time a) because they're so bloomin' expensive at the grocery store, b) I want to increase the fiber and c) I want to decrease the sugar content. And d) I LOOOOVE granola!

I need something to make all the "stuff" stick together, and it seems that anything sticky will have to be sugary as well. I'd like to avoid anything unnatural (like Splenda), or hard-to-find. I've seen one recipe that calls for apple juice concentrate, but I imagine the sugar content of this would be through the roof as well.

I may have to make just loose granola, but the chunks will have to stick together with something, too. Any ideas? Thanks!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:59 pm

Hmmm. Sorry, can't help you... I have no idea. Good luck finding out, and let us know what you come up with.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:26 pm

I have not personally tried this at all, so I can't even say if it's good, or even low sugar, but have you ever heard of something called agave?

I've seen it mentioned on raw foods forums as being very healthy..

I'll see if there's any info out there on it and report back if I get any findings worth posting :)

Good luck!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:29 pm

Okay here's the lowdown from one site (selling the stuff of course)
on Agave..
Apparently it's much lower than honey on the "glycemic index" whatever that means..
Seems promising!

Peace,
Deb

http://www.blueagavenectar.com/buyblueagavenectar.html

terryval

Post by terryval » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:23 pm

I think I've heard of this; if it's what I'm thinking of, it comes from South America and is 100 times sweeter than table sugar, but much healthier. I've never seen it anywhere for purchase, though.

I also have some sucanat which I bought recently; I've never used it, so this may be an opportunity to try it.

I'll keep digging and keep everyone posted.

JWL

Post by JWL » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:53 pm

You're thinking of stevia. Not sure how that would work in baking, though.

My wife uses honey, and sometimes maple syrup.

Why do you want to avoid honey, just out of curiousity? As long as you aren't using refined sugar, I think it's OK....
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:43 pm

You are correct Stevia won't work in cooking but sucanat is a sugar by- product. I have tried it in baking. It is very dry and I don't think it would work too well for granola bars. To cut back on the sugar and still have glue, we have used some peanut butter from time to time but the bars are a little messier to eat that way.
Food and Wine magazine for September had an article and some recipes using agave syrup. The woman who wrote it runs a vegan bakery in NYC called Babycakes and she says she has convinced the skeptics. She has recipes in the magazine for cinnamon banana bread, brownie bites and raspberry scones. She says about agave nectar "A honeylike natural sweetener that replaces sugar. McKenna prefers blue agave nectar because it is lower on the glycemic index."
That made me curious so I went on line to find information about it and glycemic index. This was the best description I could find:

"Transformed from Inulin, Agave syrup is 1.4 times sweeter than refined sugar but does not stimulate digestinve insulin secretion as do other sweetners. Standard and Premium grades.
Perfect substitute for sugar
100% raw organic
Recommended for diabetics
Lowest glycemic index sweetener"

My problem with finding a good recipe for granola bars is that the sugar isn't the only problem. They are delicious and high calorie. If they weren't good, I wouldn't eat them and if they were good, I wouldn't stop with one. Still they could work for S days. Let us know if you find a good recipe.
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

terryval

Post by terryval » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:52 am

Why do you want to avoid honey, just out of curiousity? As long as you aren't using refined sugar, I think it's OK....

(Not sure how to do quotes, so I just copy/pasted)

Honey might be an option; I just wanted to find something less sweet so as not to contribute to the sugar addiction. Peanut butter or tahini might also be an option, although I try to keep things low-fat as well. I also have molasses, but the flavor might be overwhelming.

Guess I'll have to do some 'sperimenting and see what I come up with...

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:34 am

Hey, went to my favorite health food store tonight and found agave nectar. Not exactly free but delicious. It has only 4 carbs per teaspoon and it is so sweet, it would be hard to eat a teaspoon. It definitely tastes like a cross between honey and corn syrup. A great find. Thanks for the tip Deb.
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

terryval

Post by terryval » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:36 am

Well I tried making some granola last night. The recipe I chose called for honey and maple syrup, but since I didn't have real maple syrup I used 1/2 molasses, 1/2 peanut butter. It smelled marvelous in the oven, but it turned out too crumbly to cut into bars, although it was still pretty chunky and made a nice breakfast (microwaved with milk). But the molasses flavor dominated everything else.

Sounds like the agave nectar would be TOO sweet. I think I need something more "liquid-y" so as to cook the grains (a mixture of rolled oats, pearled barley and wheat germ) a little better. Maybe I will try some unsweetened applesauce next time.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:06 pm

pangelsue wrote:Hey, went to my favorite health food store tonight and found agave nectar. Not exactly free but delicious. It has only 4 carbs per teaspoon and it is so sweet, it would be hard to eat a teaspoon. It definitely tastes like a cross between honey and corn syrup. A great find. Thanks for the tip Deb.
Cool! I may try the stuff myself!
It sounds expensive, but as you say, if you only use it that sparingly, then it offsets the cost, I guess..

I have a bottle of yummy organic maple syrup (Yes James I hear ya droolin! LOL..) which I've been using a little bit of every week, that's lasted since months ago.. It was 12 dollars, but it's lasting a long time..

Have a nice weekend all! :D
Peace and Sweetness!
8) Debs