i'm back! :)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gratefuldeb67

i'm back! :)

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:46 pm

hi everybody! hi reinhard! i'm restarting NoS today... i was here a LONG time ago, around 2005, and then, after a few years of being very active on the boards, left for a long time... well... i'm back now... it's just coincidental that i'm restarting in the beginning of the new year... the real reason is that i have been steadily gaining weight in the past year, and feeling physically terrible... this morning i weighed myself and just decided that my gaining trend has got to stop... i started to try and play out all the possible "diety" type solutions i could attempt, to alter how i've been eating, and then it just dawned on me, i knew that i would never stick to anything super micro-managy, and because the main problem i've been having has simply been overeating in general, i thought i'd revisit reinhard's NoS page... well, the more i read, the more i remembered how totally livable and sensible this diet is and decided to restart again today! i have to say, it's quite mind blowing to me, that since the first years that i was here and now, i have a 24 year old son, going to be turning 25 in march! when i originally found NoS, richie was only 9 years old! and now reinhard, who had, i believe one very young daughter, now has 2 teenaged daughters and a toddler (?) aged son!
i'll try to be active on the boards, to keep on track and get to know everyone here...
i will be honest, the one S that i will be allowing, will be a small sized hot chocolate every day... i no longer drink coffee, and don't drink soda or other heavily sweetened drinks, and even though i know it's breaking one of the rules, i frankly can't see myself subsisting on water only... i did that for four years, not by choice but because of a health crisis, where i drank only water, and i was completely miserable... so, for now, i'm allowing one small hot chocolate... it will not be covered in whipped cream and caramel sauce... that i will save for, and savor, on S days!!
starting weight just for the record is, 274.8, which is way too much for someone my height... i am only 5ft 3 inches tall... i'm hoping, that ultimately i lose about 100 lbs... mainly, i'll be very happy if i can develop good eating habits again... so nice to "meet you" all again! i'm very excited to be back!! deb :D
ps... incidentally, my avatar is a very old pic of me and my son richie, who is now a PHD student at caltech, doing his thesis on astronomy and physics!
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Mustloseweight

Re: i'm back! :)

Post by Mustloseweight » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:56 pm

Hi !

Welcome back. I look forward to your posts and hearing how you get on.

I need to also lose 100lbs and am sceptical about whether I can do it on No S as I am one of those brainwashed people who keeps going back to Weightwatchers and other slimming groups.

Hopefully we can both get this sorted!

Stay safe.

Anne
September 2017 - Starting weight: 19st 9lbs
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟
Target Weight: 11 stones

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:01 am

thanks anne! yes, we can do it! just gotta keep trying and when you fall off the horse, get back on!

Mustloseweight

Post by Mustloseweight » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:54 am

Hi!

Did you lose much weight last time? I only ask because after pointing, counting and everything else out there and now being bigger than ever, my trust and confidence in everything is crushed, I suspect.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Anne x
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟

Mustloseweight

Post by Mustloseweight » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:00 am

Hey Deb,

Just a thought, but do you like English tea? Obviously over here we drink it by the bucket. Only a very small fraction of the caffeine you find in coffee and lots of anti disease properties, calming and soothing hot drink.

Like I said, just a thought.

Anne
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:45 am

Hi Deb,
welcome back, I remember you well from your old posts - lovely to hear how Richie is doing so well.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:58 pm

Mustloseweight wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:54 am
Hi!

Did you lose much weight last time? I only ask because after pointing, counting and everything else out there and now being bigger than ever, my trust and confidence in everything is crushed, I suspect.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Anne x
hi anne,
i won't lie... i only did NoS in a way that i would describe as "half S'sed" lol... and i'd say probably i was only about 60 to 70 percent compliant when i did it back then... it's a long time ago, and hard to really remember exact numbers, but i think over the course of a year, and only doing it at that 70% or so compliance rate, i lost about 17 lbs in my first year... not too bad, considering that most healthy, slow rate diet plans, tell you to expect something like a half pound a week or so... pointing and counting etc, is just awful and i can promise you this... as long as you don't overload your plates to gross amounts, and don't go totally insane on s days, you can expect to lose, albeit slowly, on this plan... it's livable! that's the most important thing... i remember someone from back when i was first here, who lost 90 lbs over the course of about 2 or 3 years... i can't remember their name...
the big thing here is that you are hopefully going to change your habits, and for me that means a lifetime of just plain old overeating... no point counting or eliminating some group/class of food type diet, can do this for you... but if you stick to it, NoS can...
don't give up or be disheartened if it's slow... focus on your habits and let the rest take care of itself... and as reinhard has said, be comically strict with the rules... it helps... every time you have a success, it will increase your confidence... so just focus on that, not the weight loss... expect the weight loss to come over time... as long as you stick to the rules, it will... just slowly...
good luck again! oh and as for the drinking tea idea, i love tea, but it is something i have always done to relax once i'm home and never seems to wake me up... i might try it though... i'll let you know :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:07 pm

ladybird30 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:45 am
Hi Deb,
welcome back, I remember you well from your old posts - lovely to hear how Richie is doing so well.
thanks ladybird!
hope i can figure out how to do this... i'm going to try to link to a new pic of me and richie from october last year here... not the best pic ever of me, but he looks great and i was so happy to have him home for a break from school... he's my only child and it's been challenging having him living in california... any time he comes back to visit is really special for me... Image

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:09 pm

oh well, i couldn't figure out how to post the pic...

eschano

Post by eschano » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:30 pm

Hi Deb! So I’m back too. After years I was doing okish but this year has been diet-wise catastrophical for me as I stress eat and I did stress eat my way through three Covid lockdowns and now I’m heavier than ever. So back here! And back on vanilla NoS and self care and movement. So it’s especially lovely to see a fellow returnee :lol:
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:48 am

eschano wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:30 pm
Hi Deb! So I’m back too. After years I was doing okish but this year has been diet-wise catastrophical for me as I stress eat and I did stress eat my way through three Covid lockdowns and now I’m heavier than ever. So back here! And back on vanilla NoS and self care and movement. So it’s especially lovely to see a fellow returnee :lol:
thanks for saying hi eschano! here's to this year being much less catastrophical in all possible ways, diet and otherwise!
good luck! :)

ChandaLikePanda

Post by ChandaLikePanda » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:45 am

Welcome back to both of you, I am back as well! Going to focus on vanilla No S, and just building the habit.
Height: 5'4"

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:15 am

ChandaLikePanda wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:45 am
Welcome back to both of you, I am back as well! Going to focus on vanilla No S, and just building the habit.
thanks! good luck to you too!

eschano

Post by eschano » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:29 pm

thank you! Likewise :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:12 pm

Hello! I'm back as well. Focusing on vanilla NoS. Habit, habit, habit. Am going to try to start posting on the boards more this month and bring my check in thread back to life.
ONWARD>>>
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:48 am

OMgosh, has it really been that long since you left? I feel like it wasn't that long ago. Congrats on your son's progress! No disrespect to other people's children but yours didn't just go from being 9 to older. Cal Tech. Yowsah.

You may have to do more than just the meal habit, but it's unlikely you'll get much result without something systematic.

Warmest wishes and welcome back.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:12 pm

Welcome back Gratefuldeb. I hope you are well! And, not to send you on a voyage ofdisaster, I do not think a small hot chocolate a day is going to make you a non-no-S-er. When I have used the approach, and used it well, I could drink one can of Coke a day and not have adverse affects, I lost weight. But, stick with the coco. I am working at breaking the soda habit. My wife buys me La Croix (I pronounce it La Kwa because I am a snooty schmucK.). Something about the fizz that I like.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:34 pm

Popping on to say Hello, Deb.

I think we were active at the same time. Eventually I drifted away because I was successful and really there is only so much you can say about it No S. I need to recalibrate with COVID as I did get derailed. I want to walk a half marathon in June and I need to set some guardrails around my nutrition.

Good luck to both of us!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:30 pm

thanks everyone! i just saw there were all these replies! i have to run to work now, but hopefully will update you guys and reply properly soon! :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu May 06, 2021 5:48 pm

Deb, I'm sorry I wasn't virtually around when you came back last month, but I hope you are still here so I can make it up to you with a very warm if much belated welcome?

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:58 am

Hi!
I'm not sure if I'm back but I'm pretty discouraged with both other diets I've been on (well, been on is a big term because I pay for it but don't follow it enough to see results -- Noom for the psychology part and WW for tracking -- and I hate tracking). Good luck! I'll check in once in a while until I figure out if I want to give NoS another try.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:09 am

Welcome back- it might help if you think of NoS as a way of changing habits for the long term rather than a diet.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:13 am

ladybird30 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:09 am
Welcome back- it might help if you think of NoS as a way of changing habits for the long term rather than a diet.
I think this is the absolute key to any so called diet. You have to make permanent changes to maintain any loss.

I just saw Nos as part of my journey to find what works for me. It's a great place to start as it takes so little effort compared to counting calories or points.

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Nay

I'm back, too, Deb! I remember you.

Post by Nay » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:32 am

Although I have always intellectually found NO S to be a perfect solution to my struggle with food, I have found the system SIMPLE but not EASY. I actually yearn for it to be a seamless and no-stress way, but I obviously have unhealthy habits that are hard to ditch -- mainly snacking at night.

Luckily, I retired 9 years ago and have taken up walking and aqua aerobics for exercise, and this plus no work stress has brought my weight down from about 182 to 163 presently. I also fell prey to the diet-head mentality a few times over those years. I became a Type 2 diabetic and have it totally under control, but I still struggle with food and overeat a couple of times a week. My doc, a sweet fellow, recommended that I aim for a weight of 140 - 145. I have started by eliminating meat from my diet, with my doc's blessing. I never liked meat anyway. I still eat dairy. I remember being a happy vegetarian in my 20's, so this is a welcome change.

So here I am. Let's journey together again!

Ht: 5' 5"
Wt: 163

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:07 am

Welcome. My own experience suggests that overeating can improve with time, especially if dieting is avoided. Congrats on your progress so far.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:12 pm

ladybird30 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:07 am
Welcome. My own experience suggests that overeating can improve with time, especially if dieting is avoided. Congrats on your progress so far.
That has definitely been my experience, it's a journey....
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:08 pm

I didn't check to see who acknowledged Reinhard's September post announcing he is likely closing this site, at least to new comments. If you haven't seen that and want to weigh in, head to the general board.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)